Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Flat Pedals- what sucks
  • olixmb4x
    Free Member

DMR V8 / V12 are far too narrow. superstar are great and good value, if its outright grip you want though, you need some Truvativ Holzfellers, i have some i use for downhill. the spikes are the biggest in the market, they are light, slim, and wide.

be warned however, they will wear your shoes down fatser than others but imo they are worth it for the grip!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Fatties Flatties which I picked up in Morzine. Not seen them over here but excellent pedals. Downside really sharp pins which hurt (a lot).

p7rich
    Free Member

V12s all the way.

Had mine for 10 years..briefly diverted to Blackspire Sub4s (rubbish ’cause no grip)…before going back to the old V12s.

Just bought some Vaults but can’t comment yet.

trailertrash

Point One Racing ‘Podium Flats’. Very good. Very expensive.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Sorry if this is a repeat, probably is…

Easton Flatboys: You better hope that you never need to change the bearings, no spares set & bugger all help from Easton. The bearings are superb but everything dies eventually.

Your only chance, (for anyone listening) is to strip them out & take them to a bearing outlet, outside is sealed cartridge, the inboard is needle roller style.

deviant
    Free Member

I’m using Kona wah-wahs, cant fault them so far….only £30 too.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

robsoctane, Ive seen on some web page someone drilled so small hole in pedal body above the axle, effectively making a grease port, just pumped grease in through it til dirty stuff came out the ends.
    My f(l)atboys are too new to take a power tool to but might give this a try when they are getting tired.

andyl46
    Free Member

Can I just point out the Crank bros had two 5050’s, the x and the xx. The x was awful, raised hump over the axle meant you had a conves pedal, useless. The XX on the other hand used needle bearings on the inside and a sealed cartridge on the outside, I just replaced the bearings in one of mine after 4 years as it had developed a creak due to play. I did keep them greased at regular opportunities though. Grip was comparable to other flat pedals I’ve used with 5:10’s.

isibson
    Free Member

I have had wellgo V8 copies, some “Grey” CNC jobbies, two pairs of MG1s and a pair of Nanos.

I recommend the nanos highest. Do the job, the low-profile nature of them is great, decent weight and they are resilient.

I do NOT recommend MG1s. I have one wellgo badged pair and one Onza badged pair (Onza Hognesium). Both suffer from chronic pin loss – what happens is when they get bashed on rocks (common enough occurrence on Peak District rock gardens) the pin gets smashed out of the pedal. However, as the pin is made of steel that is much much harder than the magnesium that the pedal is cast from, the pin shears out taking any semblance of thread and usually a decent chunk of metal along with it. You can replace them by cleaning out the hole and putting a new pin in and setting the base of the pin (and filling the remainder of the hole) with JB Weld, ending up with a 1-2mm high dome of JB weld around the pin above the metal of the pedal frame. Anyway, the point is that MG1s are not as resilient as nanos. Lots of people will say that they’ve used their MG1s for ages with no problem and that’s fine – my own pairs have lost about 10 pins between them due to this problem.

I don’t find the two particularly different in terms of grip (using 5-10s), but I imagine that it will depend also on how big your feet are. Nanos have a bigger platform than MG1s.

Northwind

Aye, magnesium body pedals will always be weaker for pedal strikes, that’s just the tradeoff of the weight. Think I’ve been lucky not to lose any.

If you want proper weak, try the magnesium nanos, there’s not much thread in the pedal just to make it even more delicate than the MGs.

(if you end up with a dome of jbweld, you’re using too much, btw)

isibson
    Free Member

The dome was deliberate, to add a bit more anchoring strength. It doesn’t detract from the grip but nice to know it’s not just me resorting to that.

curlie467
    Free Member

Another here for wellgo mg1 pedals.

I love riding with flat pedals, have no intention whatsoever of going clipless, i have tried but just didnt like it and also contemplated trying again but like my flats too much.

Shin slaps hurt like hell and its not so pleasant when your foot slips off and they rub up the back of your leg but this happens so rarely it isnt really worth mentioning. I cant actually remember the last shinslap i got (jinxed it now probably).

I can ride as fast as the majority of my riding buddies, with exception of the ones who are just exceptionally fast full stop.
    I dont feel they hold me back at all, i get good grip from just shitty cheap trainers and my feet rarely come off the pedal.

nick1962
    Free Member

Kona Wah Wahs are not the same as Superstar pedals!!!
    There are 10 smaller M3 thru pins on the Konas and 8 M4 on the Superstar (M4 size is what most other pedals thru pins are too).
    Bought a pair of Wah Wahs myself from e bay for £30 as they were cheaper than the Superstar “lookalikes” however the hexheads on nearly all the pins rounded when I tried to remove them…….Perhaps I should have gone for the more expensive Superstar copies after all!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedals- what sucks’ is closed to new replies.