Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Flat pedals that dont go "click, click"?
  • anlegov
    Free Member

I have V8s that sooner rather than later go “click, click”. I can open them up, re-grease, get the cones just right, but pretty soon they will start being noisy again. Anyone got any suggestions for really long-life flat pedals (or ones with replaceable cartridge bearings and other spares?).

honourablegeorge

DMR Vaults.

anlegov
    Free Member

Would you choose these DMR Vaults over the Hopes?

bigblackshed

Wellgo magnesium.

Half the price of Vaults and twice as good.

legend
    Free Member

Vaults
    Hopes
    Wellgos
    Superstars

Basically anything without a cup n cone setup

jedi

plastic nukeproof flats for me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

superstar magnesiums and V8s both silent for me.

robland
    Free Member

I have the v8s and the Shimano saints the Saints are alot smoother. also they don’t rattle like the v8s

wallop

My superstars click. Well, it could be something else but I’m yet to identify it.

wiggles
    Free Member

anything with sealed bearings

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got Nanos, Hopes, and a pair of cup and cone Wellgos from the mid-90s that’ve never been opened. None of them click.

honourablegeorge

anlegov – Member
    Would you choose these DMR Vaults over the Hopes?

Yes – cheaper than hopes, better shape, more grip

crankrider
    Free Member

Superstar / ht components / nuke proof / bike fridge / moove – all the same pedal and all awesome.

Had some ss and the same from bike fridge for a few quid less, no clicking here

coolhandluke
    Free Member

plastic nukeproof flats for me.

Me too after a go on Jedi’s bike, way better grip than my Hope F20’s had.

jekkyl

Are you certain the click click is coming from your pedals?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/nukeproof-electron-flat-pedals-2014/rp-prod85858

I am an evangelist for these after the offspring got a pair. Light, grippy, thin and much cheapness.

robdob
    Free Member

You must be doing something wrong with the V8s. I’ve got them on all my bikes bar one and they’ve been faultless.
    Pump them full of grease (60s job) with a grease gun before you fit them and they run forever. I’ve never even taken any apart even after several years use.

epicyclo

robdob – Member
    …Pump them full of grease (60s job) with a grease gun before you fit them and they run forever. I’ve never even taken any apart even after several years use.

It’s too late if you wait until they are crunching. In any case lots of pedals seem to be overtightened these days, so it’s best to adjust them before use anyway, and while it’s open you may as well pump it full of grease.

You only need a smear of grease in theory, but in practice filling them grease like robdob recommends leaves no space for moisture to get in, and pedals last forever.

eshershore
    Free Member

my Nuke Proofs (2 pairs, 1st pair replaced under warranty), Kona Wah-Wah, Wellgo MG-1 (4 pairs, was getting them $20 a pair) DMR V-12, DMV V-12 Mag, Syncros Mental Alloy, Syncros Mental Magnesium all developed “click” – typical problem with many pedals running the common “1 bearing outboard / 1 bush inboard” or similar axle system

over time, the bushing tends to flog out the socket in the pedal body, causing a sloppy fit and looseness which often manifests as a clicking when pedalling. It can’t be fixed by replacing the bushing as its the socket in the body that is enlarged.

All the BMX guys I rode with that tried the V-12 had the same problem, often within weeks of new – one reason DMR stopped advertising their pedals in the BMX mags 😉

always found the DMR V-8 to be their toughest pedal, I’ve sold 100s to customers, they feel rough out the box and don’t get much better even regularly greased but running loose ball bearings both ends mean they tend to run and run as long as there is grease in there.

currently using Specialized Bennies which are a bit chunkier than some, but seem to be behaving after 9 months of abuse

robdob
    Free Member

V8’s filled with grease when you take them out of the box are buttery smooth, and stay that way a long time!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals that dont go "click, click"?’ is closed to new replies.