flat pedals and shoes

Home Forum Bike Forum flat pedals and shoes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • flat pedals and shoes
  • Premier Icon rockthreegozy
    Subscriber

Shimano MP90 or FiveTen Basics

These pedals

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Budget? It's largely dependant on what to recommend…

Some pedals are £150, some £15. No point recommending mega expensive ones if you can't afford them!

But if your budget can stretch, I can't recommend Easton Flatboy's (£65) enough… They're bombproof and mega grippy.

Trainers wise, get some Vans with a waffle sole… For about £40-45… Or if you're made of money, get some 5-10's. But if you buy Flatboy's, you won't need 5-10's, Vans are more than grippy enough on the Flatboys.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Five Tens & Straightlines work well for me..

beefy

I use DMR v12's, have done for years, really grippy, bearings last forever, I have never changed them and I have been running this pair for about 9 years. Shoes wise, I am not a fan of 5.10's, they are grippy, but not that good for our weather (IMO). I use Shimano AM40's they are terrific, really grippy, stiff and incredibly weather proof, they feel like proper riding shoes and they have a big velcro strap over the laces, which makes them really secure.

stevede

Superstar nano techs/kona wah wah's (pretty much the same pedal), shimano am40 shoes if you can handle the dodgy design – had 5.10's before these and found they had too much grip (difficult repositioning feet if they happened to end up in the wrong position) and were too bulky.

coogan

Wellgo B54's are awesome pedals. Have two sets, one nearly 4yrs old and never had to take them apart. A bargain at £25 too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5199

biker66

Vans are very grippy , look cool, and if you wait 'till the sales you can get them for 20 quid a pair.

TractorFrog

DMR v12 Mags with Ti Axle upgrade. There is no lighter flat pedal on the market! (£125+ once you finished) Paired with 5.10's and your laughing.

tony24

been using gusset outland pedals (sealed bearing's) and they have taken a fair beating and there still lovely and smooth.

as for shoes as someone else have recommended Five 10 free rider's i love em 😀

lyons

I have a set of easton flatboys for sale… They are amazingly grippy! I just don't like them! I'm an spd man… 35 posted? Are you interested?

Premier Icon rockthreegozy
    Subscriber

TractorFrog – Member

DMR v12 Mags with Ti Axle upgrade. There is no lighter flat pedal on the market! (£125+ once you finished) Paired with 5.10's and your laughing.

258g with Ti axle (for the pair)

coogan

£125! 😯 No thanks.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

BTW, the people who use DMR V8's or V12's that recommend them highly, in my experience, have usually never tried anything else!

Sorry to sound condescending, but there are a whole host of MUCH better pedals out there than the DMR's. Sure, at £20 the V8's are a great beginner level flat pedal, but if you want something grippier and ultimately a lot stronger, then look elsewhere…

The Flatboys above being sold for £35 cos he prefers clipless… Well, if I needed another set of flatties I'd snap em up myself right now! Mine I've had for about 6 years now, they've been smashed into all sorts of things on alpine descents, they've been smacked so hard that a crank arm bent! The pedals barely look like they've had any use at all… BEST FLAT PEDALS PERIOD!

forge197

lyons – what condition are they in I'd be interested in having them drop us a mail it's in my profile.

Premier Icon Rusty Mac
    Subscriber

mboy may have a point!

I have a pair of v12's and recently bought a pair of mag12's for my second bike because i like them so much. I haven't tried many other pedals as i simply have not found the need.

lyons

Forge, good condition! There are. a few marks but nothing bad… I'll try to email you but oita been playing up…

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

mboy may have a point!

I have a pair of v12's and recently bought a pair of mag12's for my second bike because i like them so much. I haven't tried many other pedals as i simply have not found the need.

Try out some proper grippy/tough pedals… You'll put your V12's up on the classifieds in no time!

lyons

I agree, I really don't rate dmrs I still have a pair, but they are not good. Seriously the eastons are brilliant

forge197

Lyons I'll take them at £35 posted let me know the details to settle up.

lyons

I agree, I really don't rate dmrs I still have a pair, but they are not good. Seriously the eastons are brilliant

bjj.andy.w

Just moved over to wellgo mg1 from dmr v8.To early to to tell if they are any better but they are a lot lighter.Cheap to.Only £34 from merlin cycles.

lyons

Forge, I'm sure you will be happy with them 🙂 paypal to Andrews.bourne1@hotmail.co.uk if that's ok…

forge197

If not I'll post back here 😉 there is no way they can be worse than the ones they are to replace will paypal in a minute for you

ETA – Paypal done, be interesting to compare these against the Straitlines I have, have also used V8 and V12's in the past too

loftmonkey

looking to go back to flat pedals for my orange five any suggestions and also suggestions for shoes as well thanks

ooOOoo

What do people think are the best out of those for weather-proof-ness-ability/long life?

Exhibit A – my nearly 2 year old five ten sam hills

I love the fit, love the grip, but they've been battered now, and thinking maybe the shimano ones with the flap would take bad weather a bit better.

Or do 510 do a more waterproof version?

stevede

5.10 do the karver if you want to stick with 5.10, they are the chris kovarik model, ugly as sin but have a lace flap thing similar to the equally ugly shimano am40's that i have.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

+1 for Wellgo B54's

as for shoes, I like my Duffs 4130 highs but 5.10's are prtty much the bench mark, there is always the option of having some shoes you already like Resoled in stealth rubber, if you don't like the 5.10 "orthopedic" look…

dave_rudabar

Orchid are the best shoes i've found if you want bmx/skater style cycling shoes/trainers.

ooOOoo

just checked em out steve, yes as ugly as you say they are
    Actually the body of mine are not too bad, the leather is in OK shape
    It's the sole that has worn out real quick. I guess that's sticky rubber for you. I don't know if all the bits of rubber on the side help at all – it seems they've just helped them break quicker. Past the point of being resoled I reckon 🙁

These look slightly less ugly though, for spec ops desert mountain bikers

sambob

Shimano AM40s are amazing, i use mine with wellgo v8 copies and my feet havn't slipped off in 5 months of using them, and if i washed them they would look as good as new. Your feet only get wet if you actually submerse them, feet almost completely dry otherwise 🙂

dans160

V12s and Vans work well. V12s and 510s are overkill, I could never adjust my feet on the pedals. I've changed them for Point1 Podiums which I'm finding much better. Not exactly more grip (possibly less?) but much easier to get the right position every time.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

Wellgo MG1's and 5.10's.

Only way to go.

MrSynthpop

Wellgo MG1's + 5.10's here as well, I've got the marzocchi rebrand 5.10s with 'Bomber' on the back which are still fugly as anything but make me feel extra gnar.

Premier Icon doug_basqueMTB.com
    Subscriber

The shimano shoes are amazing. grippy, light and they dry quickly. They get wet fast too but no more so than my 5:10 hi's, the difference is that the AM40's don't take a week to dry back out. They're lasting a lot better than the 5:10's too. The flap is great, I always got my laces coming loose on my 5:10's (despite being a sailor all my days) but not with the AM40's. I love them. So much so that I bought a second pair!

I use Straitline pedals and have very mixed feelings about them. They work well, look great and the company is fantastic to deal with. (Seriously, I'll always consider their stuff first given their customer service). They make for a great DH pedal for sure. I've found though that with (a lot of) pedalling they wear out and maybe the bushing design isn't the best for XC use. I find it really hard to be negative about them because everything else is great with them but there you go!

I_Ache

Resole your 5:10s if they are battered

http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/index.php

forge197

Lyons – could you update me on where the pedals are and if they have been posted?

Munqe-chick

(Mr MC posting)

I'm a recent convert to flatties so have been thru similar conundrum.

I currently use DMR v12s on one bike, and Wellgo MG1 Ti's on the other. DMR (and a bunch of others including Deity I believe) are made by Wellgo and share mechanical features (such as 12mm bush inboard, sealed bearing outboard).

Wellgo MG1s are light and stonking value for money (30 quid ish) and even with the Ti axles come in at 55ish quid, less than half the price another poster paid for DMR V12 Mag Ti which is essentially the same pedal.

I havent noticed any difference in performance between the V12s and the MG1s- MC had some V12s that she didnt use so I blagged them and then bought the wellgos. If I as doing it again I'd prob go for the basic MG1 as its cheaper and much lighter than the V12, and the weight loss of the Ti axle is not really worth the cost.

One negative Ive heard is that the MG1 (and poss other soft magnesium pedals) can have pins torn from them in rock strikes, but I havent experienced this yet.

I wear knackered old Vans when weather is grim, 5.10 impact lows when its dry. Havent been blown away by the supposed extra grip of 5.10s and possibly prefer the more flexible sole of Vans where I can feel the pedal. Only ridden the 5.10s a couple of times but am currently underwhelmed and wondering what I'm missing.

As others have said Vans (and etnies etc) can be had for 20 quid from the likes of TK Maxx, but I wear Vans as casual shoes anyway so they become my biking shoes when theyre past their best.

ended up writing a bit of an essay, so in summary Wellgo MG1 and Vans. 🙂

sailor74

five tens for sure, i have some straitline pedals and would just rate them as ok, much better and a tiny bit cheaper are 24Bicycles Butterfly II pedals, bigger platform, thinner profile and grippier pins.

FiveTen do make some much nicer shoes than the fugly Impacts;

supinerider

5-10 basics and wellgo mags for me. v v grippy. too grippy for some.

the basics are decent – stiff enough and reinforced toe. sealskins socks when the weather's bad.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘flat pedals and shoes’ is closed to new replies.