Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Flat pedals
  • flow
    Free Member

Recommend me some light, flat pedals please. I looked at the Superstar Nanos but they weigh almost half a kilo a pair.

bspoked
    Free Member

DMR v12 Magnesium.

Not much lighter, but awesome.

warpcow
    Free Member

Outland (VP) CNC Slimlines? Not quite as grippy, but enough for me. claimed weight of around 360g, but mine were 380g. VP have some other pedals coming next year that look interesting too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Point One Podiums – 360g/pair.

Best pedals I’ve ever used by far.

prezet
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mag-Ti – 294g per pair

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=53216

Not ridden them myself, can’t afford to!

WackoAK
    Free Member

I have them, nice and grippy and appear to be lasting well.

wrecker
    Free Member

The point one podiums are awesome (as is the rest of their kit) but pricey.
    The superstar mag lites are 340 grams and good pedals. I got on well with them (the HT version)
    HT have some interesting pedals (dont know where you could get them from though) and are usually well priced.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Don’t go for V12 mag’s as recommended above, too thick and small platform.

flow
    Free Member

I had some V12’s, they were fine just rather heavy.

Whats the fascination with thin pedals? Obviously lower weight, what else?

rickon
    Free Member

As Rorschach says, Nukeproof Electron tick all your boxes.

wrecker
    Free Member

Buy the mag lites flow. You won’t regret it.

superdale
    Free Member

I was looking at either the DMR Vaults at 410g (£80) or the Superstar Ultra Mag CNC at 310g (£70) to replace some Tiogas which keep getting stiff. Anyone have any experience of either?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i wouldnt mind trying flat pedals, be pretty good for some of the more gnarlllllly stuff by us…….

the thing is YOU LOOK RETARDED WHEN YOU WEAR THOSE SHOES 🙁

spd shoes look cool, flats look like a special shoe 🙁

flow
    Free Member

Superstar Ultra Mag CNC look interesting, so do the Electrons.

Hmmmm

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Whats the fascination with thin pedals? Obviously lower weight, what else?

They lower your centre of gravity and make you 15.386% faster. Didn’t you know?

Liftman

Recently got a pair of DMR Vaults and they are good, big platform 115mm x 115mm and very grippy with my 5:10’s
    They are also fairly thin and reasonably light.
    The outer pins can be reversed if required.

flow
    Free Member

They lower your centre of gravity and make you 15.386% faster. Didn’t you know?

I thought it was because thinner pedals are less lightly to roll under your foot than fatter ones, but I was once told I was wrong.

lovetoride
    Free Member

I thought it was because thinner pedals are less lightly to roll under your foot than fatter ones, but I was once told I was wrong.

+ 1 – this is what I believe although other have differing views

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Nah, it’s because they make you 15.386% faster.

That, and the most important reason of all:

Fashion.

mikey74
    Free Member

Greater ground clearance, lower centre of gravity, foot nearer axle and therefore less likely to roll the foot over.

Also, I find that thinner pedals make you feel like you are in the bike, rather that perched on top, which I guess is the same as the COG thing, but more noticeable.

ruscle
    Free Member

+1 for the point 1 racing podium pedals

DSC02731 by radsik gnarly!, on Flickr

Sorry their not polished up!!

flow
    Free Member

Just read a review of the Point Ones, they recon they are the best flat pedal you can buy. Sadly I don’t have £170 to spank on pedals.

ruscle
    Free Member

You can get them for £135!!

JamieMc
    Free Member

had some nanos but didnt like them as the axle area is raised above the rim of the pedal so you foot slips about on it abit. V12 when im not on SPDs

el_bandido
    Free Member

Lower centre of gravity?! Sorry I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone could really notice the difference. I can see the benefits of the increased pedal clearance in ruts etc.

thebunk

£135!!! 😯

http://www.magazinesdirect.com/subscription/mountain-bike-rider/11304886/mountain-bike-rider.thtml

Free DMR V12 Magnesiums!**

** As long as you buy MBR for 12 months…

JohnnyPanic

As your only stated criteria are flat & light, and I assume not too expensive then Wellgo MG-1’s. Magnesium is light, but not as robust as other metals.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44059

jedi

i wanted to use canfield crampons but couldnt get any so have nukeproof ones. will get dmr vaults next if these go pete tong

Northwind

Don’t go with the magnesium Nanos if you’re a rock-smacker, over the last couple of years of using other flat pedals I only ever lost a single pin, but the mag/tis lost one on the first ride, they’ve lost 4 since. I’ve been able to replace them each time- sometimes by retapping, mostly by gluing in a replacement- but it’s a pain. OTOH, they are very light.

Wellgo MG-1 is superb value… Bit thicker than a Nano though. Basically like a much improved V12- better platform, lighter, oh and much cheaper. Loads of the pins in mine are squint now but they haven’t lost any.

Not sure where I stand on the Electrons (aagh, pun not intended), they seem not to agree with some shoes… Did my first ride on them with my old MP90s at the weekend and they did not get on. But with all my other shoes (including my trailbuilding steelies) they grip fine.

Northwind

el_bandido – Member

Lower centre of gravity?! Sorry I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone could really notice the difference.

As far as centre of gravity, I can’t. But, flatter pedals do seem less inclined to tip or roll.

rickmeister

I have some DMR V12’s and UK 8 5:10’s for sale… 4 rides only…

chives
    Free Member

Nanos with titanium spindles get the weight down nicely, but FWIW I reckon DMR V8 / 12’s pin pattern fitted my old trainers better.

Question: In the Great Flat Pedal Debate, why are pins that are threaded through the pedal reckoned to be better than those just fitted in blind tapped holes? From an engineering point of view, when the working end of the stud or pin gets damaged / bent the only result is then destroying the thread in the pedal as you try to extract it, as you’d be drawing all of the damaged portion through the inevitably softer pedal body material.. (sorry, used to design machinery – seems like bad design to me..)

Wish I’d been using my nano flats on Saturday though, as fell heavily in thick gloop riding down the sunken and very appropriately named ‘Hell Lane’.

nedrapier

Very interesting point, chives. I shan’t look at them in the same way again!

avdave2

chives – can’t you remove them by winding them all the way through the pedal – that would seem the obvious way to remove them to me.

sobriety
    Free Member

But as chives said, if you’ve bent the stud that’s showing there’s a good chance that winding it back through the pedal will destroy the threads.

chives
    Free Member

avdave2 – not when there’s a head (as in regular allen bolt head) on the back side of it, no!

Granted, if it were just a grubscrew you’d be correct squire. 😕

ruscle
    Free Member

Just cut the ends off and extract I guess.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Damn, thats my patent blown~ I noticed this a while back: thru pins, with the allen head inboard is the future; ah well, just a measly £8,000 and 3 months of attorney fees yet to be invoiced whistling away on the wind.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.