Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Flat pedals 50 quidish
  • peter1979
    Free Member

I bent the axle on my Shimano Saint pedal a few rides back and it’s becoming annoying so, as they’ve seen a lot of years use, I’m looking to replace them.

I’d like to try a new pedal. Flats, 50 quid ish budget.

Looked at burgtec composite (35 quid ish), nukeproof horizon pro black edition (45 quid) and superstar nano X Evo 35 quid in sale. Any input?

Wear size 9.5 shoes and have wide feet. The saints we’re ok but not the grippiest even with pin washers removed and were heavy.

cb200
    Free Member

Superstar nano x for me. Superb grip, and pins/bushes/bearings all replaceable. Only after years of abuse will some pin threads on the pedals get knackered and I’ll eventually get more of the same.

16stonepig
    Free Member

CRC seem to have some good deals on Nukeproof pedals at the moment

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-neutron-evo-electron-evo-flat-pedals/rp-prod122950

chakaping
    Free Member

I just got some new Nanos with the Superstar 35% off, the bead blasted ones as they look a bit more tasteful IMO.

The trick is to arrange the pins so the higher ones go outside and the lower ones in the centre – they feel better that way.

Northwind

Horizon Comp is better than the Pro imo, and about half the price. I’ve had posh pedals in the past, but I can’t see any reason to fit anything else these days. Unless you’re a total pedal-smasher but hardly anyone is, really.

gringo

Have Nano’s on 2 of my bikes, grip is good, prefer them to my old Saints and so far they have been reliable. Would highly recommend them for the money.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Gonna go against the grain and say I didn’t like the Superstar pedals myself. Both sets I had lasted about 2-3 months before the bearings/bushings were shot. I just never felt that comfortable on them (same with Hopes).

Favorites have been the DMR V12 and Burgtec Composite. I have had the Nukeproof composite pedals in the past too and really liked them.

joebristol

Nanos have been great so far – best flat pedals I’ve used.

The carbon cycles exotics are nearly as good and you can get rebuild kits – but if the Nanos are reduced to the same cost I’d buy those.

pothead
    Free Member

Burgtec composite

chakaping
    Free Member

Both sets I had lasted about 2-3 months before the bearings/bushings were shot.

They don’t seem to last like they used to, but I still get a lot longer than that out of them.

The bushings and bearings are also included in the sale BTW.

Bearings are 686 2RS and bushings 1010, IIRC.

DezB
    Free Member

I have Nanos and they’re excellent – Andi theSingletrackman, he likes Burgtec… see here.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m another DMR V fan, never had any issues with them and have a seriously abused set still going.

russyh
    Free Member

Same for me with Nano’s had a couple of sets last set lasted about a month.  Pair on my wife’s bike have lasted years, but it’s probably only had a months worth of summer use in that time.  I would buy them again. Burgtec are my favourite but I also run Hope F20’s with titanium axles which I’m enjoying.  Also have some Blackspire pedals which are lovely things, grip and platform is great but I’m not sure about build quality.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Having been a die hard dmr vault van previously I’ve just finished a new build so wanted some new pedals. Couldn’t justify over a £100 for my usual lightweight option of vaults so I’ve gone for burgtech composites for same weight but half the price and do you know what the grip level on them is actually pretty good and I won’t be going back to vaults.

bowglie

Another convert from Vaults to Burgtec composites. I’ve previously used various Superstar and HT flat pedals, but I’ve been very impressed with the grip and comfort on the Burgtec’s – much prefer them to S’star and Vaults (FWIW, I use them with size 10 Five-tens).

slowoldman

DMR V12 Mag. Easy to strip, clean, grease. Service kit readily available.

mboy
    Free Member

Burgtec Penthouse Mk4’s only £64 a pair from Millets right now… Not quite £50, but that’s 36% off nonetheless!

Davesport

New shape DMR V12’s. excellent pedals and all parts available. I’ve got several sets on the go, been immersed in seawater, sand, peat & a rotten sheep carcase. Keeping them greased seems to be the key to keeping them going. I made a wee adaptor to grease them whilst they are still on the bike. Canny go wrong for the dosh.

tdog
    Free Member

Deffo old DMR v12s they were just simply great shape and grippy as mated to 5.10s

Bought a set of new burgys alloy from millets for £60 which was a mega deal for what you actually getting, finish of machining is sublime and probably bq to match

Got composite burgys on the other bike and they are again incredible for plastic pedals – dare I say much much better than the crappy pinned Deity ones in plastic

There is a strong reason why burgys are or have gained massive reputation 😉

Oh and it wasnt all down to ratboy riding them
    Lol

ad4m
    Free Member

Slightly over your budget but leisure lakes are selling the Burgtec Penthouse mk4 alloy pedals for £65 down from £100. Got mines yesterday-look seriously well built.

gowerboy

I like Gusset Slim Jims. They last ages and are comfy and grippy.

ogden
    Free Member

I’ve had superstar nano x, One Up components alloy and Burgtec Composite pedals in the last few years and the Burgtec Composite would get my vote by a mile. I’d maybe be tempted to go for Burgtec Penthouse mk4 alloy pedals for £65 though.

tdog
    Free Member

The alloys are lovely especially in dare I say “PURPLE”

prettygreenparrot

Superstar nano x. Great pedals. I now have them on every bike. They come with a bunch of spare pins too. Superstar have a sale until January 6 with 35% off everything, when you spend £35 or more.

rhayter

Race Face Chester. Big enough, grippy enough, light enough, cheap enough. And all the colours.

hainman
    Free Member

EVANS have XT flats for £50 non boxed
    Look pretty smart

nwmlarge
    Free Member

DMR Vault, accept no substitute.

bonobo
    Free Member

If you did want to stick with the same I’ve got a brand new pair of Saint pedals I could let you have for 50 quid?

submarined
    Free Member

Two pairs of Nanos here and love them both. Grippier, lower profile, nicer shape, and last way longer than v12s. I won’t miss that familiar death rattle when the bushes expire after a few months.
    Tempted to try some Burgtec composites to see if they help warm my feet in the winter though. Desperate times and all that.

campfreddie
    Free Member

From slightly left field, I have been using these for years on various trail bikes in the UK and the Alps with zero problems and great grip. Nice and low profile and pretty light.

At this price they are a monster bargain

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/wellgo-alloy-platform-b185-flat-pedals/rp-prod85577

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Unless you’re a total pedal-smasher but hardly anyone is, really.

I was until I swapped to 165mm crank arms, crap technique may have played a part here too 😂 They took a fair bit of abuse over the years though and replaced them with horizon comps.

2020-01-02_11-33-41

mcnultycop

I’d get some plastic pedals (Nukeproof, Superstar, Exotic, which ever is cheapest) and spend the £30 you have left on beer.

pickle
    Free Member

My Nukeproof Horizon pedals have been superb all through last year, wouldn’t hesitate in getting another set.

peter1979
    Free Member

Still haven’t made my mind up! I’m off out for a ride Sunday then I’ll give it some more thought afterwards.

Quite tempted by the 65 quid alloy burgtec but as stated above, the composites are really good and an extra 30 quid on beer/books is really quite appealing.

Alex

Burgtec are my first ever set of composites. Had many pairs of superstars (including a mag set), oneup, some of the cheaper HG ones and a few others.

Only 3 rides into the Burgtec’s, but so far great fit, lots of grip, not been obviously bashed (I’m running 165mm cranks tho). Light, cheap, strong. Pick 3!

redrook
    Free Member

Superstar Componenets Nano, awesome pedals and loads of colours

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Horizons win all the magazine tests and are the best overall pedal IMO.

JP

josemctavish
    Free Member

Another vote for RaceFace Chester here, for all the same reasons rhayter stated above.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals 50 quidish’ is closed to new replies.