Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Flat pedals
  • agnik1
    Free Member

I need some imput on flat pedals.
    I want to change my spd. Any suggestions.

pipiom
    Free Member

Superstar nanos are awesome and I’ve just fitted the other SS models with titanium bits (168grams) and they’re awesome too….

wiggles
    Free Member

Superstar nanos for £35 + £25 5.10 shoes (from the PSA) = awesomeness

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jedi

i been using nukeproof plastic neutrons. bombproof it seems

Bushy

Shimano saint mx80. Less than £40 from a few places online, £37.49 CRC. Typical shimano, no maintenance required.

charliedontsurf

Gusset nitros here. Very good.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

PSA?

PiknMix
    Free Member

+1 for SS Nanos, thin, wide and grippy.

Northwind

Another +1 for Nanos of some sort, there’s not a better first flat option IMO, they work very well and they’re not too expensive. Not light, mind, unless you spend a lot- if you’re a weightweenie you might want to look at Wellgo’s MG1, which is lighter for about the same price, but thicker.

timmys

DMR Vaults, pricey than some but the best I’ve used by a mile. If pushed on budget than I’d try Saints (having previous liked Shimano DX30’s). If someone held a gun to my head I’d still struggle to attach anything to my bike than had Superstar written on it.

Northwind

timmys – Member

If someone held a gun to my head I’d still struggle to attach anything to my bike than had Superstar written on it.

How about the exact same pedal from Exotic, Moove, Readytoride, Nukeproof, or assorted other rebranders? Mostly they’re more expensive though.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Nanos + 5.10 grip really well

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

where are the 5.10s for £25 please Wiggles

Wozza
    Free Member

+1 for MX80 Saint. Bombproof and they look teh awesumz.

philb88
    Free Member

Got both Nanos and V8s, both great. V8s are a little thicker though.

Would love some 5.10s for £25 though!

_tom_
    Free Member

If someone held a gun to my head I’d still struggle to attach anything to my bike than had Superstar written on it.

haha. My bike has loads of superstar stuff on it and it’s all good. Brand snobbery ftl.

I have some Saint pedals and I don’t really like them loads but I cba to change them now. I prefer my old wellgo v8s tbh, which are actually lighter and grippier at a quarter of the price.

sumomatt
    Free Member

Experienced loads IMHO would rank as follows:

DMR Vault BrennDog – 10/10
    DMR Vault 10/10
    Superstar Nanos 9/10
    Shimano Saint MX80 8/10
    DMR V12 7/10
    DMR V8 6/10
    Wellgo DMR Copies 5/10
    Hope F20 3/10

Rating based on grip and reliability. Price and appearance way down the list.

Hope it helps

Wozza
    Free Member

Tom, have you taken the washers out from under the pins?

akira

Sumomatt, what didn’t you like about the Hope pedals, was considering some for new build.

peachos
    Free Member

got a couple of sets of nanos and i have always maintained they’re unbeatable. until i had a play on a mate’s bike with vaults on, and they crap all over the nano – way more grip due to the concavity. still twice the price though…

ndthornton
    Free Member

I thought Nanos were the best a pedal could be (for the money)……
    then I discovered Outland CNC

lovely

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/pedals/product/review-outland-cnc-pedals-10-35472/

_tom_
    Free Member

Tom, have you taken the washers out from under the pins?

Yeah, still not as good as the v8s. I think it’s the concave on the wellgo/dmr design that works better.

Davesport

I’ve just fitted a set of Superstar Tech Flats in place of the DMR Vaults I was using. Not quite as big a platform but the pins are longer & I wont be changing back to the DMR’s. The Tech flats are way grippier IMO.

D.

woody2000

Here’s the 5:10 PSA, likely to be out or low on stock now though!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-five-ten-spitfire-low

woody2000

Actually, just looked and there is some stock of most sizes I think 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

I love my Saint pedals although after Antur they rattled themselves apart a bit. Not a problem tho, I just had to tighten the gold bit into the body. They are fine now.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Got some Superstar Ultra Mag CNC pedals recently. They’re light and very strong, with a big platform, slightly concave and big agressive pins on them. Seem to be a winner. They’re quite stiff to turn on the axles though, assuming this will ease up with more use, as the bearings and seals bed in a bit.

sumomatt
    Free Member

@Akira -mate of mine bought two pairs of these, one red, one black to put on a Yeti Big Top build ( he couldn’t decide on a colour scheme!!)

Eventually went for the red and offered me the black ones at a discounted price. Great I thought, bit of bling and Hope products are usually very good.

Tried then with Trail Walking shoes ( which I ride in a lot) on some of my local bridleways and my foot just kept slipping off on rocky terrain. Tried again with 5:10s same problem, lost my pedal a lot.

Got the wife to try them and she had same problem.

My mate on the other hand loves them.

The Hope pins are very smooth, whereas the DMR pins are very “sharp”, think that’s the main difference, as the platform size of the Hope’s is good.

Compared to the Vaults, they are terrible, the difference in grip is huge!

All our bikes currently running either V12s or Vaults, they are so reliable and the grip is amazing.

Hope this helps

NormalMan

I had been a long time wellgo mg1 fan, but recently have been won over by Nukeproof electrons.

agnik1
    Free Member

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about SS nano and 5.10 shoes. Any good for the winter?

andybrad

killed some wellgos, replaced with saints. Happily going strong so far

twang
    Free Member

agnik1 – Member
    Thanks for the response. I was thinking about SS nano and 5.10 shoes. Any good for the winter?

Appologies for shameless plug but any good to you?
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-five-ten-freerider-vxi-elements-size-8

craigofscotland
    Free Member

As nanos were sold out in all but elton john pink I picket up nukerproof protons.

They are superbly grippy, well built as you’d expect from nukeproof and make you feel all sexy inside.

agnik1
    Free Member

twang – Member

Appologies for shameless plug but any good to you?
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-five-ten-freerider-vxi-elements-size-8

They are too small. I wear size 9

cakefacesmallblock

Gusset Slim Jims. The mag serviceable ones. Had mine 5 years now and ridden them hard in all conditions, but especially in our local winter gloop, bike has done about 4000 miles in last two years. I’ve taken them apart, cleaned and greased them probably six times in total and only just now am I thinking of buying their service kit, as there is now, just a tiny amount of play.

gwj72
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of V12’s that have been transferred from bike to bike since 1999. I’ve done sod all to them bar grease them when they get swapped and adjusted the pins once or twice. I think I paid £80 at the time but been worth every penny.

number18
    Free Member

I’m about to upgrade my V12s for Vaults. Nothing really wrong with V12s, I just like the look of Vaults and they are thinner.

wonderchump
    Free Member

I use Hope F20’s with Five-Ten Stealth’s.

I’m not sure why this pairing would be considered slippy. IMHO they’re very grippy.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I just bought some cheapy DMR ones (think they are v8) and a pair of flat shoes for a tenner from Shoezone.

Learnt to gap jump, whip a little, clear doubles etc over a bunch of hot and wonderful summer evenings at PORC in Penshurst, Kent.

Shoes wore away leaving big holes in the soles.

All the screw in studs fell out of one of the peddles.

And it didn’t matter a jot.

Actually grew used to being able to feel the peddle so acutely through the shoes and all was groovy.

God I miss summer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.