Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Flat pedal shoes that look like clipless shoes
  • 33tango

As above, for purely cosmetic reasons, I’d like a flat pedal shoe that looks like a clipless shoe :\

Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just go clipless. The style of a lot of SPD shoes (if you’re on about the disco slipper style) is borne out of efficiency- velcro straps/boas/ratchets to get the shoe properly tight, a curved sole so all the power goes through the ball and a slim profile.

Since flat pedal riders aren’t arsed about efficiency (if they were, they’d use SPDs) they don’t need the properly tight fit, or curved sole or slim profile. The slim profile is even a disadvantage as there’s less shoe in contact with the pedal.

The closest thing you’ll get is this sort of thing by Quocc but they’ll be awful to use without toe straps, and if you don’t like clips you’ll bloody hate them.

Quoc New Fixed Shoes – Brown

33tango

Good point about the slime profile being a disadvantage.
    Problem is that many of the flat pedal shoes don’t suit lycra 😀

33tango

Actually , the Giro VR rumble don’t look too bad

shoe

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s an SPD shoe though – it has a stiff sole that won’t flex to conform nicely to the shape of flat pedal, and when you look at the side profile you can see how the sole curves from the ball of the foot to the heel. At the ball of the foot, where you’re contacting the pedal, there’s very little of the sole that will actually engage with the pedal. Maybe a 2-3cm long section of the sole. So it won’t grip well.

If you’re wearing lycra that implies you care about efficiency, in which case, use SPDs and buy the shoe you want.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Specialized Cadet shoes?

Got my £6 Rutland bargain pair (2?) years ago, they can be officially converted to use 2-bolt but the sole plate was missing on my pair.

Definitely not a winter shoe, very breathable design!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Since flat pedal riders aren’t arsed about efficiency (if they were, they’d use SPDs)

Got any evidence to back that up? Attempts I’ve seen have failed to show a significant efficiency loss. (I ride SPDs on the mountain bike, flats on the commuters, Time Atac on my road bike so I’m pretty neutral on it, but it’s the security rather than ‘efficiency’ that motivates me)

for the OP – Adidas Terrex Trail look a bit more ‘running shoe’ rather than skate shoe. Also maybe Specialized 2fo flat 1.0.

33tango

@murnobiker – After years of SPDs, I switched to flats due to knee pain. My natural foot angle is almost 90 degrees to the bike 😀

Thanks for the helpful advice though, its definitely helping me to narrow down my search

munrobiker
    Free Member

Simon-

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/clipless-versus-flats-359866

Watt bike tests show that they’re more efficient.

This GCN video found that the two riders were able to put down 15% and 30% more power. That’s a lot.

33tango – I would suggest a few things, then – sadly none of them are a flat shoe that looks like and SPD. There’s too much compromise in terms of amount of rubber touching the pedal, and the stiff sole of any of these SPD trainer things will not gel well with a decent flat pedal. You could live with wearing baggy shorts instead of lycra, not worry about what you look like and use the best flat pedal shoe you can regardless of appearance (we are, after all, adults riding bicycles- we all look daft) or, maybe, if you’re on road, try toe clips and the Quocc shoes set up so you can put your feet where you want them.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Not to turn this into a flats Vs clipless debate, but it’s worth mentioning that other studies found closer results between the two systems.

And that GCN test it’s stupid to the bones. Put a couple of guys who never ride flats on crappy trainer shoes and go for a ride. That should do it, right?

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely these – https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Northwave-X-Trail-Flat-MTB-Shoes_222898.htm

Says they’re flats, but they’ve got a cleat cover.. so maybe they’re for either?
    Then there’s the Mavic Range. Browse Tredz, they’ve got tons.

avdave2

I like lycra and flats, I tend to wear a pair of Endura liner bibs which are only safe under shorts which works well.

roverpig

@munrobiker You seem to have linked to the second GCN video but not the first. Right at the start of that video they mention that they did a proper test in a lab and found that there was hardly any difference. But I guess they really wanted to keep using their clipless pedals so went outside to do a crap test to make themselves feel better 🙂

zilog6128

Also, “efficiency” and being able to “put down more power” are, obviously, 2 completely different things

jameso

Problem is that many of the flat pedal shoes don’t suit lycra

Alt answer, ditch the lycra. If you’re not fussed about clipless pedals then why bother with lycra? I know the padded shorts can feel comfy but get the right saddle and they’re not needed, sport boxers and the more fitted bike shorts are fine.

maccruiskeen

It maybe depends on how flat your flat pedals are – if you want to use something like a SPD touring shoe (something like the ones Specialized make) – they give you a reasonable amount off sole to make contact with a pedal – even with a cleat attached they still sit ok on a flat pedal. Obviously there’s a void in the sole where the cleat goes but pedals don’t generally have pins there so that’s fine. But you maybe need to look at the pedal as much as the shoe. Newer, very flat, thin pedals don’t have much dish in the middle of the pedal – if anything they can have a bit of a hump so a stiff sole will rock on the bulge around the pedal axel and not engage well with the pins around the edges – but something like the classic shimano DX / DMV V8 cradles the sole of the shoe more.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If we do manage to solve the OP’s quest can you help me find a middle aged biffer with low self esteem who looks like Zoe Saldana. Thanks.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oops.

maccruiskeen

Zoe Saldana’s mum?

33tango

This is getting weird..

maccruiskeen

Maybe a pair of retro noughties Puma Redon trainers – slim profile, velcro. Maybe a bit thin-soled for long rides maybe but worth a try

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal shoes that look like clipless shoes’ is closed to new replies.