Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Flat pedal – recommendations.
  • Rik
    Free Member

I'm after some new flat pedals always used V12 over the years as they always seemed the best and when V12 came out there was not much choice.

Now there are hundreds to choose from out there.Got pretty big feet and i have just got some big clunky 5:10. So a big platform is a must (V12 have always felt quite small) and would like them to be pretty light as they are replacing mag V12s. Hopefully not to expensive – i like the new Point One pedals but not paying £120 for pedals!

Recommendations please

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Straitlines are excellent, I'm also selling a pair…

sobriety
    Free Member

Azonic A-frames or Wellgo B-54s

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Kona Wah Wah.

Largish platform, thin, pins unscrew from the back so you can still get them out when they've snapped off.

£45-50ish

flyingmonkeycorps

Gusset Slim Jims (or copies thereof). Nice big platform, good grip (better with longer pins) and cheap as chips. Light, if you get the mag version too.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Plenty of room on Shimano DX's for my size 44 5-10 Freeriders. Old school rather than sexy, but just work forever and take a good battering. £44 at CRC

Edit – just seen timmy's pot below. MX30 = DX

timmys

I'm a big fan of Shimano MX30's.

MrAgreeable

Straitlines are great, very grippy indeed, but expensive and need quite regular (minor) TLC.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive had some Superstar Nanotech flats for just over a year and there spot on, havent had to do owt with the bearings and their still smooth. They were quite cheap when I got em too, about £40ish.

Expensive pedals seem pointless cos they just get trashed anyway

krag
    Free Member

B54's +1, cheap as chips and much better than the V12's I replaced them for.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Straitline pedals are lovely

Another recommendation for Wellgo B-54s which can't be beaten for value and have fantastic grip

geetee1972
    Free Member

I run Shimano DXs on both my DH and trail bike. Once you replace the pins around the edges with the longer version (I keep the stock shorter ones in the centre of the pedal) they do offer great grip. The bearings are excellent; my trail bike pedals have been on the go for over 18 months and the bearings are still silky smooth.
    The only real downside to them is that because the pins are relatively narrow, if you slip a pedal, they make far more of a mess of your calves than other makes. You also have to replace the pins quite regularly as they are a bugger to get out if you loose the top part.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Kona Wah Wah.

Largish platform, thin, pins unscrew from the back so you can still get them out when they've snapped off.

£45-50ish

+1

Rik
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – send me an email and pics of the straitlines

Quite like a the look of the Wah Wah copies in Mag – nice shape and light. Shame they have horrid branding all over them.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Rik, you can have my Easton Flatboys nice and cheap

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I'll email you now Rik.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Wellgo MG1's

nickegg
    Free Member

Superstar Nanotech here also. Great pedals, nice and slim, bearings seem to be doing fine considering the wet weather we've had in 6 months i've had them, pins can be removed from behind too.

Pretty sure these are the same as Kona Wah-wah's too.

Shimano DX are bollox IME. Pins are way too narrow and bend too easily. Removal is impossible once bent also, pretty thick too.

Fop
    Free Member

For big platform I don't think you can beat Easton Flatboys. I run the Wellgo MG1s, which I find great (can confirm "compatability" with 5:10s). Am thinking of spending some Xmas money on the Canfield Brothers Crampon pedals…..they are supposed to offer some benefits, but really it's the bling value & quirkiness that's drawing me to them!

yetiguy
    Free Member

Moved from v12 to easton flatboys. Great pedal plenty of grip and a large surface. I have size 12 feet !

tails
    Free Member

straitlines and burgtec are the old hat now, the new kids on the block are point one and canfield bros but as you say £££, big platform at a good price are superstar components offerings.

Olly
    Free Member

Shimano DX for the best of the best (IMO), at 50 quid

or V8 replicas for cheap at a tenner.

had V12s for a bit but didnt get on with them, they were smooth for a while, but once the bushing went they were rubbish and couldnt be bothered to change the bushing.
    V8s stay smoother for MUCH longer, and when they do go, they are only a tenner to replace.
    just make sure you pack them with grease as soon as youve bought them.
    if youve got one, use a grease gun to force grease in to all the bearings, they come with a minimal amount, and it makes a massive difference.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Kona Wah-Wah

They have a excellent replaceable pins, a big wide thin platform, they're good value and have lasted me ages now. Excellent grip with my 5.10s.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

Funn Soljam's

cheapish and extra grippy – and five times better than my v6's at least.

decent flat shoes are a must too……….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

straitlines and burgtec are the old hat now

And???

Both my bikes are running 24Seven Slacks – proper old skool but by far the best pedals I've ever found. Run forever with no looking after, big platform, not that light compared to more modern offerings but do win in the cool looks (machined "SLACK" in them) stakes and you never known when you'll need pedals with a bottle opener built in!

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I've got straitlines and they are excellent. £100 is a lot of dosh but once it's spent you forget about it and just appreciate the fantastic grip! 😀

tails
    Free Member

And???

And nothing I still run straitlines and shall do until they break, but I now would not step backwards to V8/V12 instead I would buy one of these new superthin offerings.

jedi

sobriety – Member

Azonic A-frames or Wellgo B-54s

ended 3rd post in

brakes
    Free Member

Easton Flatboys – so good I bought them twice
    had them on one bike for 5 years and had no problems at all – despite breaking two sets of cranks
    not light

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

burgtech, I could be tempted to part with my MKII's but youd be prying them form my cold dead hands!

pablo1
    Free Member

Superstar. Good. Cheap. Lightish.

freeridenick
    Free Member

B-54 & 5/10's perfect if you have big planks!

0pt1cal
    Free Member

V12's would normally last me 3 months, but I've still got the same pair of Flatboys on the bikes for 2 years now…..best pedals you can get IMHO.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Everyone recommends Straitlines. I use them and love them but would be in two minds about putting them on a pedally bike again. Even with weekly maintenance I have found that they will wear the teflon washers away and start to wear the pedal body away causing excessive lateral play along the axel.

Will I buy another pair?

I don't know. Maybe because the platform is great, they're strong, and the grip is fantastic. Maybe not because of the wear issue and the minor hassle of getting replacement teflon washers.

sailor74
    Free Member

easton flatboys are good but I prefer the easton cullys. The absolute best in my opinion are these http://www.k-124.co.uk/product.php?product_id=441&category_id=69
    super thin and super wide

mboy
    Free Member

Easton Flatboys – so good I bought them twice
    had them on one bike for 5 years and had no problems at all – despite breaking two sets of cranks

V12's would normally last me 3 months, but I've still got the same pair of Flatboys on the bikes for 2 years now…..best pedals you can get IMHO.

Continuing on the theme here… I've owned a set of Flatboys for about 6 years now, and though 80% of my riding is clipped in, in the time I have owned them they have done a total of 7 weeks DH riding in the Alps, numerous Welsh Trail centres, and tonnes of other rides.

They have been bashed, smashed, generally abused and uncared for. They still barely look more than half a dozen rides old! I have hit rocks hard enough that I have bent crank arms (seriously!) whilst using these pedals and they just shrug it off. Not even a pin has bent despite being repeatedly smashed into massive rocks!

Yup, they're not light, but they're bombproof. They're also very grippy. And though not exactly cheap, they're certainly a lot cheaper than many boutique offerings, and they'll outlast anything else which in my book makes them good value…

easton flatboys are good but I prefer the easton cullys

Cullys are great if you've got narrower or smaller feet, because they're narrower they afford you a bit more pedal clearance when leaning over too… But they're not ideal for big footed riders cos they are quite narrow. Also, takes the piss they charge £25 more for essentially the same pedal!

chilli
    Free Member

Big feet here,easton flatboys for me!

Coyote
    Free Member

Found V8s a bit on the small side but a good pedal nonetheless. Currently using 50/50s and no complaints so far.

wl
    Free Member

NRG Slabalanche, or the amazingly cheap FPDs Stiff used to sell and possibly still do. Forget Welgo MG1s – the magnesium cages are way too soft and they shed pins like there's no tomorrow. Can't speak for the rest, though I know folk with bent Flatboy spindles. If you wear Five Tens, don't waste silly money looking for ultimate grip. Bearing life and cage strength are way more important I reckon.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I have size 12's and love my tioga MX's

You might want to order some extra pins with them as they could do with a few extra from the start..

[edit: had mine for 3 years now, using them 4 times a week, greased them up once and replaced missing pins]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal – recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.