Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Flat pedal recommendation for £40
  • london_lady
    Free Member

A colleague is leaving next week and as a leaving present we are getting him some flat pedals. I dont ride flat pedals so am after some recommendations please. The budget is £40 max and they need to be lightweight since he is a closest weight weenie. He has been looking at Superstar pedals – are they any good or should I go for something else?
    Thanks.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Check out Exotic pedals @ http://www.carboncycles.cc

Made in the same factory as Superstar and others, lightweight and approx £34

Win, Win and Win 😆

plyphon
    Free Member

MG1’s and a crate of beer.

Northwind

Nanos- big, thin, not light though. I think they’re currently cheaper from Exotic than Superstar, always worth shopping around, it’s the same pedal under lots of different brands and names.

For cheap and weightweenie, Wellgo’s MG1 is a fair bit lighter, and a good quality pedal. Not the biggest cage (or rather, the pins aren’t that far out on it) and not the toughest, but still good.

phatstanley
    Free Member

MG1’s and a crate of beer.

wot ‘e ^^^ sed.

chakaping
    Free Member

frogleek +1

crush83
    Free Member

DMR V8’s

bigbloke
    Free Member

Exotic +1 less than 34 quid .

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i got these wellgo ones recently – £30 and relatively light (320g advertised) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=85577

however they have no pins near the inside centre – normally fine, but a couple of times night riding i’ve got water on them and they’ve frozen over – feels like they could do with an extra one in there. it’s probably a fairly niche problem though.. they seem fine in mud etc.

godzilla
    Free Member

Extra fiver gets Saints?

Northwind

Not V8s. Heavier and smaller than a Nano, as thick and less grippy than an MG1, less reliable than either. Cheap is all they have going for them but they’re not that much less than MG1s.

Saint is always going to be a hard pitch for a weight weenie.

parling
    Free Member

Nuke proof Electrons, there light cheap as chips, mine are over a year old and still look fantastic despite my best efforts to hit every rock with them.

london_lady
    Free Member

I am not buying him beer – he only weighs about 7stone and I have been drinking with him – it gets messy after his first bottle of peroni!

Northwind

Mmm. Electrons, I didn’t like- convex body so felt like lots of weight on the axle not the pins, much less grippy than the competition. Quite shoe dependant though, my Five Tens and ancient bendy Vans were alright on them but my stiffer Shimanos and Vans weren’t so good. Couldn’t see any reason to keep them, my other pedals are just plain better.

plyphon
    Free Member

I am not buying him beer – he only weighs about 7stone and I have been drinking with him – it gets messy after his first bottle of peroni!

MG1’s and a sirloin steak?

parling
    Free Member

I wound the pins up on mine and I dont feel the axle now, although if they catch your shin they go to the bone.

organdonor
    Free Member

FROGLEEK – Member
    Check out Exotic pedals @ http://www.carboncycles.cc

+1
    Grippy, light, reliable, great vfm and now in 10 colours.

Duane…
    Free Member

+1 Carbon Cycle Exotics (my set came in the post today)

-1 DMR V8s (just no)

london_lady
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Heads = Wellgo B185 320g £29.99
    Tails = Exotic alloy peadls 430g £33.79
    Probably the Wellgos – lets face it he will be riding his 6″ travel bike around George Bush Park in Houston – not exactly the “gnarliest” of terrains 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal recommendation for £40’ is closed to new replies.