• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by igm.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Flat pedal hacks, episode 2 – Damaged pin threads
  • zezaskar
    Free Member

Hi all,

Some time ago I posted a thread with a easy lubrication trick for end cap style pedals. It was a known method maybe for 80% of readers, but turned out to be useful for the remaining, so I think it was reasonably well received:

Pedal greasing made easy

Now, I’ve been on SPDs for the 3 or 4 months, mostly adapted to them but cornering is still not 100%. I wanted to pay a visit to my Nukeproof Horizons for a couple of rides to hone the corners a wee bit. Thing is, the right pedal has 2 damaged pin threads, both from the rear row, on opposite sides. One was ovalized from an impact+bent pin the other one had the pin sheared in a weird way that left an embedded mushroom that damaged the threads upon removal. The missing pin actually makes a noticeable difference in grip so I wanted to solve this.

I could try to put an helicoil or equivalent insert there, but wasn’t too excited about having to buy the whole kit only for a couple of threads and in the end would likely require some mods to work with the thin pedal body.
    So I did things differently.

I imagine plenty of people have tap and die kits in the shed, and if they don’t then they should, it’s an amazingly useful piece of kit. First I ran a M5 tap through the damaged M4 hole. I could now simply use a standard M5 socket head screw there, but M5s are a little to thick to be grippy and would also feel different from the neighbors.

Second step is to install the M5x10 screw, but now run a M4 die on the exposed section. This creates a custom screw that is M5 in the pedal body but M4 on the exposed section, just like the other pins.

So, problem solved, for free

igm

Like it.

The pedals one was useless for me. As a Time ATAC user maintenance is for the little people (just lent a pair of the originals to a friend to try – not maintained ever and still running fine).

zezaskar
    Free Member

Actually, part of the reason I recently switched to clipless was that they tend to be more fit and forget. On the other hand I’m not sure the current crop of Time pedals are as indestructible as the older ones, even the Speciale ones have plenty of reported issues

igm

Nothing is as indestructible as the original ATACs.

The more recent ones are still pretty good though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal hacks, episode 2 – Damaged pin threads’ is closed to new replies.