Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flat or clipless pedals for trail and all mountain riding
  • covbuggy
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have a remedy 9 which I use at trail centres (red/black routes) and other all mountain trails. I have always run flat pedals as I can step of when I need to. Does anyone use clipless – if so why and what are the benefits?

Thanks in advance

coogan
    Free Member

Of course people use clipless. Doesn’t matter about the benefits. All about what you prefer to ride in.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I ride similar stuff to you but more natural trails and also quite a few DH tracks. I’ve moved to clipless for everything, except jumping and when I know I’ll be messing around on the step up. With the clips, sprinting is quicker and easier, hills are easier, when it gets really rough it’s more confidence inspriing (not that I had problems with loosing feet on flats) and they also allow you to get a bit more over the front end, so more grip where it matters. It’s mentioned a bit in here:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/213292/

Onzadog
    Free Member

I ride both or either. Right now I’m clipped in. Want to know why? Simply because my flat shoes are taking an age to dry out.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

clipless here. I’ll not fuel the flats-spuds debate as it really is an issue of personal preference, but for me there are plenty of benefits to spuds, and the benefits of flats – easier to bail from, easier to dab a foot – aren’t really, well, relevant. I don’t bail very often, and I don’t dab very often either. I guess if I rode on very steep, sketchy terrain then flats would make more sense. But I don’t ride on stuff like that.

Go with what you prefer.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Give them a go and find out for yourself.

I think your best bet is to put up a wanted ad for an “underpriced pair of SPD’s”

Then you can always sell them on for a decent profit if you dont like them.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

When I say jumping ^, I mean proper dirt jumps, not general ones on a trail.

Coyote
    Free Member

I see what you did there David… 8)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Flat or clipless pedals for trail and all mountain riding’ is closed to new replies.