Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Flat Earthers (again)
  • franksinatra

You would struggle to make this stuff up.

All aboard the Flat Earth cruise – just don’t tell them about nautical navigation

Makes me wonder, if you took a flat earther, flew them into space and showed them the planet, would they change their mind?

tthew

Not necessarily.
    Bonkers

alpin
    Free Member

That rocket guy even says that if he does see some curvature then it will likely be down to the curved glass of the helmet….

GrahamS

would they change their mind?

Honestly I don’t think they would.

I regularly see flat earthers have their entire argument completely destroyed and it makes absolutely no difference to them.

A great example is Bob Knodel of Globebusters, who wanted to prove the Earth didn’t rotate at 15 degrees per hour. So they raised $20,000 to buy a very precise ring-laser gyroscope and funnily enough it showed a precession of 15 degrees per hour. Which they decided must be due to mysterious “heavenly energies”

alpin
    Free Member

dannyh
    Free Member

It has got nothing to do with deeply held beliefs or anything like it.

It is attention-seeking, plain and simple.

Come up with a stupid point of view and stick to it no matter what. The rest of the world then tries to figure out whether you are joking, or mad or whatever – and all that lovely attention keeps on coming.

Ignore.

GrahamS

Here’s Bob and his gyro:

alpin
    Free Member

A lot of them seem to be a bit religious, too.

I am, in an ironic kinda way, tempted to get a t-shirt or sticker.

GrahamS

It is attention-seeking, plain and simple.

There is an aspect of that to some of them, but the most common thing I see is the desire to feel “special”

The religious ones want to be God’s special children on the special snowglobe He created especially for them. They often talk about how the “atheist/satanic sciencism” wants people to believe that they are not special, just an accident of chemistry on a speck of dust in an infinite universe.

The others want to feel special by having special knowledge. They consider themselves “woke” and go on about brainwashed sheeple. Only they are smart enough to see da truef!

molgrips
    Free Member

GrahamS, that is probably the case, and is covered in The Believing Brain by Michael Shermer.

GrahamS

Hop on over to Reddit and see some of it in action.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flatearth/
    is mostly an open meme battle between flerfers and globetards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/notaglobe/
    is a flat earth echo chamber where anyone questioning anything that is posted is immediately banned from the sub.

Also
    https://www.reddit.com/r/theworldisflat/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Flatearther/

JoeG
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Flat Earthers I n mind expanding knowledge?

What ever next?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

So you all are saying flat earthers have NO argument or evidence what so ever? is that the consensus? interested.

DezB
    Free Member

argument or evidence” against facts? I would say not. They have bullshit, beliefs, made up evidence.

tomhoward

So you all are saying flat earthers have NO argument or evidence what so ever? is that the consensus? interested.

Nothing that hasn’t been spectacularly debunked.

GrahamS

I don’t think I have ever seen a bit of FE “evidence” that has troubled me too much. The majority of it is based on fundamental misunderstandings of physics, optics, what the globe model says combined with an inability to think in 3 dimensions or appreciate scale.

What is particularly laughable is when they offer “evidence” that is actually a pretty decent proof of the globe. Like this:

craig5

I love flat earthers & would love to go to a conference. Not in the USA obviously, I fear I might get shot

martinhutch

If I was on a Flat Earth cruise, I’d be demanding to go right to the edge for a look-see.

johndoh
    Free Member

If I was on a Flat Earth cruise, I’d be demanding to go right to the edge for a look-see.

Was exactly my thought.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Its a faith position, not a scientific one.
    They talk about evidence, but when people (e.g. wolfi6020 on youtube) challenged them to go out and look at the sun rising directly east and setting directly west on the equinox (an easy thing for anyone to measure which would never occur on a flat earth) zero flerfers actually did the experiment.

Faith positions are difficult to shake. When I was religious I knew there was a host of phenomena and moral questions that were difficult to explain or justify in a universe with a good god. But I always assumed that there were brilliant answers out there that I just hadn’t heard yet.

Then I looked for myself 🙂

Another explanation is honestly rank ignorance and stupidity. I’ve heard someone opine on the “failures of the globe earth model” and the fact that “gravity doesn’t exist” in one breath and then be unable to tell someone what the angles are in a triangle with three equal sides in the next.

We’re probably not losing the cure for cancer here.

alpin
    Free Member

Ice walls, silly. 200ft high.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Wait! Are you lot saying Terry Pratchett was fibbing? 😟

matt_outandabout

Can we have a reality TV programme in which they challenge a group of flat earthers to go on expedition to find the edge?

jam-bo

can they name it the B-ark?

Cougar

Ice walls, silly. 200ft high.

If only we had some sort of magic flying contraptions capable of going higher than that. We could just pop over and take a few photos of the underside, shut those globists down once and for all.

That’s a point actually – what do they imagine is on the other side? There could be a whole other ‘planet’ there that we don’t know about, couldn’t there?

GrahamS

They’d be shot down by the UN security patrols that protect the ice wall under the terms of the Antarctic Treaty.

what do they imagine is on the other side?

Of the wall? As usual, it depends who you ask.

Religious types generally say the firmament dome starts at the ice wall, beyond the dome there are only the waters of heaven.

Some twist Rear Admiral Richard Byrd‘s TV interview to conclude there are green fertile lands beyond the wall. But then he was a Freemason so…

Some reckon there is an infinite plane with lots of other Earth-like pockets in it.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I love this, I am glad it exists, kinda gives me a warm glow. I don’t know why, I think it is because I really do enjoy feeling smugly superior. Which is obviously a horrible personality trait, but I can’t help it. Every now and again when I am feeling shit I will dip in and bait them. Its awesome fun. I also love 9/11, climate change, chemtrailers, brexiters, all of them. Long may they continue.

GrahamS

I really do enjoy feeling smugly superior. Which is obviously a horrible personality trait

This is the danger – you can fall into the same “wanting to feel special” trap as they do.

I mean understanding how many degrees there are in a triangle, how many metres there are in a kilometre, or how a magnetic compass works, doesn’t make me “special”, but it’s all too easy to feel like Stephen Hawking when you are talking to these people.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

For those who get a kick out of the foolishness of others..
    There are people on Youtube who:
    Think that clouds passing overhead are other worlds passing closeby and have convinced themselves (possibly just himself) that he can see cities etc by looking up.
    Think that all the pictures of Mars show a disaster zone with rubble from a civilisation.
    Think that the phases of the moon are caused by the shadow of the earth.

Personally I’m torn between frustration, sympathy and laughter, but the one thing I can’t get past is their certainty.

The first rule of Dunning-Kruger club is; you don’t know you’re in Dunning-Kruger club.

squirrelking
    Free Member

“This is why I want to go up into space 62 miles up, to set this thing straight for people to know,” he said.

Hughes plans to share his observations around — or across — the world.

You can already imagine his “proof” being “debunked” as him being a plant all along.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Graham S
    How many metres in a kilometer .. I’d forgotten that one!
    Pretty direct quote from a flerfer who just had conversion from metres to kilometres explained:
    “How can you divide a meter by a thousand and get something bigger*!!!!????!!!!”

Good times :O)

GrahamS

There are people on Youtube who

Have you encountered the two guys who think distance and altitude are fake, that America is half the size “they” say it is, and that planes are actually much smaller and fly much slower than “they” say.

Think that the phases of the moon are caused by the shadow of the earth.

Saw a flat-earther smugly making that mistake the other day. Not for the first time either.

That’s what I mean about their “evidence” often being based on fundamental misunderstandings about what the globe model says is happening.

5plusn8
    Free Member

but it’s all too easy to feel like Stephen Hawking

no no I have a healthy attitude to how little I know, I definitely do not feel smart, I think that’s why I like it, as long as I am smarter than someone…

5plusn8
    Free Member

Sun at south pole is a good one too. https://gfycat.com/BriskLavishLabradorretriever

blurty

I think they the flat earth society is a piss-take.

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/40315/the-flat-earth-society-has-members-all-around-the-globe

Every now and then they break cover

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

GrahamS
    Yup heard that one. Also the chuckle brother who think that water is an element and therefore not made up from hydrogen and oxygen.

Mostly listen to the debunkers tho .. saves giving them views and usually much shorter and more interesting.

GrahamS

Mostly listen to the debunkers tho .. saves giving them views and usually much shorter and more interesting.

Likewise. Lots of the flat earth videos are over an hour long. I only have a limited amount of time to listen to morons.

There is a YouTuber called “Tau Ceti Alpha” who does a very nice “Flat Earthers: Full Retard Mode” series that compiles clips of flerfers. Always good if you fancy a quick smorgasbord of insanity. Here’s the latest one:

GrahamS

Sun at south pole is a good one too.

Discussing that one on reddit right now in fact. It’s fake of course – because reasons…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Flat Earthers (again)’ is closed to new replies.