• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Flat bar conversion – how hard?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Its running Claris groupset (8-speed).

Shamino make Claris integrated flat bar sifters and brake leavers.

I’ve got flat bars and stem. Do I need anything else? How hard is it to do i.e as easy as changing a rear derailleur?

13thfloormonk

A fiddle, but I’d suggest paying for the new shifters and brake levers is the hardest part.

You’ll possibly need to re-cable brakes and gears as the the existing outers might be the wrong length. This might require new outers and cable cutters (plus new end caps for the existing cables).

Probably need new brake inners too as the ends will be the wrong shape for the flat bar levers.

Oh, and you’ll also need to set up your gears again as you’ll have to disconnect the cables, brakes also.

I think new shifters and brake levers usually come with new cables though so that’ll save you some money.

Am considering doing this as a favour on someone else’s bike but it’s Campag… 🙄

Earl
    Free Member

Hey much thanks – sounds like a bit more than I want to take on as I find this fiddly stuff hard. A shop job I think.

Cheers.

BigJohn

Personally, I’d just cut off the drops under where the brakes fit. I ride on the tops and the hoods and I find both positions comfortable. I only use the drops because I think I ought to give them a try.

I’d cut them off mine except it’s a loan bike and the Most Talon integrated bar & stem costs about £400.

jb72
    Free Member

By all means pay a shop if you want to … but it’s not a hard job.

Looks to me like the levers only come with gear cable. Maybe buy a cable set too just in case.

cynic-al
    Free Member

For a wrench it’s v straightforward, cutting cables to length and setting gears and brakes, fitting it all up.

Whether this is too much for you I can’t tell.

willyboy
    Free Member

You may need a different length stem when changing from drops to a flat bar.

I’d fit the flat bar/ stem (without de-cabling the original bars) and just sit on it to see if the reach feels ok.

Earl
    Free Member

Prob is I can’t find a vid on youtube of it being done. Claris seam to have integrated shifter/brakes which i guess makes things a bit easier?

I’ll get the parts in and have a crack – worst thing that can happen is i take it into a proper mechanic with my tail between my legs.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It’s usually quite expensive to do this. Shimano 11 speed flat bar shifters are around 100 quid for instance, but for 8 speed they seem pretty cheap (20 quid here http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-brake-gear-shifters-claris-r240-8-spd-double) so all you’d need is the outer cables.

Even if you can’t setup gears and fit cables, now would be a good time to learn, because it’s easy once you know how and you don’t need many tools, but it’d be quite expensive at a shop given the likely value of the bike.

Earl
    Free Member

Wow – that’s a bargain – much thanks.

Earl
    Free Member

Will the existing drop bar outer cables work? or do I need different ones???

13thfloormonk

Probably, if anything they’ll be too long so you could leave them uncut but end up with big loops flapping about in front of the bars! Not the end of the world.

Earl
    Free Member

A update for any one reading this in the future. its a summary from all the good info from above.

I bought:
    Claris flarbar integrated shifters and brakes from the Ribble link for £20.
    2 inner brake cables as the flat bar ones have different shaped ends. £4
    A pack of cable end caps. £1

Tools
    The usual hex keys / screw drivers etc..
    Cable cutter for the brake and gear cable inners.

Took me 2.5 hours all up but probably a hour if I was to do it again. Not that hard a job – just a tiny bit fiddly with the internal cable routing and aero brakes mounted behind the fork and bb. The Claris flatbar brake leavers pulls the road brakes correctly.

I reused all the cable outers without shortening them – looks a bit messy.
    The stock 70mm stem was swapped for 100mm. Same 7deg rise. Feels ok. I’ve got a 80mm and a 120mm I can play with later.

Handling wise around town and such I love it compared to drops. Yet to go any true distance but i expect I’ll be a spinnaker if there is a head wind.

I’m guessing drops will never be for me.

Thanks again for all the good info i got from here.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Flat bar conversion – how hard?’ is closed to new replies.