Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Flashed doing 75 in a 50 dual carriageway, court or points?
  • jekkyl

Any coppers on here can answer for me.
    I’ve had a NIP through and I got cammed doing 75 in a 50 zone on a city bypass dual carriageway. The letter says either court or 3 points and £100 fine. Does anyone have experience of similar or are you a copper and can answer from knowledge.
    I’m very sorry btw, I never normally get caught speed 😳
    I don’t have any points at the mo, but did have to do an awareness course about 18 months ago, but the speed means I won’t get that choice even if it wasn’t within 3 yrs.

shuhockey
    Free Member

90% sure you wont get the option of the speed awareness course, as I got caught doing 75 in a 60, if I had been doing 1mph more, I wouldnt have had a choice.

footflaps

You’ll be sentenced to a ritual flaming on STW…

MrNice
    Free Member

is that the sound of pitchforks being sharpened?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

NEVER choose the court option. They’ll think you’re taking the piss and wasting the Court’s time…you’ll come off much worse than £100 & 3 points!

jekkyl

there wasn’t any childrens faces on the dual carriageway at the time so I should be safe.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

footflaps

there wasn’t any childrens faces on the dual carriageway at the time so I should be safe.

well you didn’t see the camera, so how do you know you didn’t miss hundreds of children’s faces in front on you? 😉

iainc

but did have to do an awareness course about 18 months ago,

……..that was obviously a bit of a waste of taxpayers money then ! 🙂

jekkyl

my money you mean. It was 70 odd quid ish.

johnners
    Free Member

Why waste time with court, 3 points and £100 seems pretty reasonable to me.

cookeaa

Just MTFU and take the points…

You were clocked at 25 Mph above the speed limit, it’s pretty unequivocal, if you do ask for a court appearance, they’ll just increase the pointage and up the fine… fixed penalty notices are nice and efficient see, try and buck the system and you’ll catch a double bollocking…

I don’t have any points at the mo, but did have to do an awareness course about 18 months ago, but the speed means I won’t get that choice even if it wasn’t within 3 yrs.

That won’t go in your favour either if you choose court, it simply demonstrates that the course didn’t change your habits and that you have a “History of driving with excessive speed”, a lack of points doesn’t mean the offense isn’t recorded (can anyone confirm that?) just thet you wriggled out of the points last time by attending a scare ’em straight course… which apparently didn’t work.

cynic-al
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    my money you mean. It was 70 odd quid ish.

Lack-of-self-awareness POST OF THE DECADE!

pondo

3 points and £100 seems pretty reasonable to me.

^^^ WHS

jekkyl

I won’t choose court, I want the points. The letter seems to say I could still be given a court appearance. My question was will I defo get offered the points and fine?

KonaTC

Unfortunately you won’t lose your driving licence for life – Muppet

MrNice
    Free Member

Hello up there!

deluded
    Free Member

Although a copper, I work in another area of policing and haven’t dealt with a traffic matter for over 15 years. However this is what I think – you would be wise to research it yourself though 😀

It seems you’ve been lucky (if that’s an appropriate term). Had you been clocked at 76mph – the guidelines (under ‘Speed Enforcement’ in the below link) suggest you ought to receive a summons to court for a stiffer sanction than can be imposed by the Fixed Penalty Scheme.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_fixed_penalty_notices/

From the circumstances you describe, you are eligible to be dealt with by way of the FPS. If you wish to plead not guilty your case will be heard in court.

The Speed Awareness Courses are aimed at those caught speeding just above the limit and will only be open to people caught breaking the speed limit by 10% + 9mph or less – so, not you.

Please drive more responsibly in the future – thanks.

jekkyl

Thanks deluded and all.
    Thread closed 👿

zoota

Why was you speeding did you not see any speed limit signs or just think 5 mph over the limit of a possible unsigned dual carriage way was acceptable?
    As a cyclist I would assume you would be more attune to road safety, even more so that you have been on a awareness course.
    Frankly you should not be asking whether to pay the fine or go to court, you shouldn’t have put your self in that position.
    However if the dual carriage way was unsigned then you can be slightly forgiven for the +5mph over the standard unsigned limit and just pay the fine and be a better motorist .

winston_dog
    Free Member

As deluded said, you’re been lucky. Take the points.

However, someone I know, insists he just ignores any letters regarding speeding and eventually they don’t chase him up. As they are not recorded or anything how can they prove delivery? I am not condoning this behaviour and I do not know he is telling the truth by the way!

However, I had moved house and I thought I had been caught by a camera van. I hadn’t changed my address with the DVLA.
    My old place was at the other end of the UK, on the market and empty. I went up there 4 weeks later, no ticket. I went there nearly 4 mths later, in a pile of post a 2nd reminder from about 2 mths ago but nothing else. I am a coward so I phoned up and grovelled. They were perfectly nice and happy to take money and give points. I often wonder what would of happened if I just ignored it?

Del

you were clocked at 75 so probably doing an indicated 80ish. all i’m sayin’
    😉

crankboy
    Free Member

If you ignore the post it goes to court you then ignore the summons you get convicted and fined and points in your absence you then ignore that you then get an arrest warent which most police forces won’t actively chase till they have a project or they trip over you this means the day you report a crime or get what would otherwise be words of advise you instead get hauled in to the nick . If it is Saturday morning you will be there till Monday unless some one buys you out in cash for the full fine plus costs. Many people also get nicked on warents at the airport too not the best start or end to a holiday.

winston_dog
    Free Member

If you ignore the post it goes to court

No it doesn’t. I accidentally missed the initial and 2nd contact asking who was driving the vehicle and there had been no correspondence for about 2 mths.

Besides, none of the letters were recorded, “proof of delivery is not proof of receipt” and all that. How can they proof I had received the notification?

Del

Besides, none of the letters were recorded, “proof of delivery is not proof of receipt” and all that. How can they proof I had received the notification?

afraid the camera partnerships don’t see it like that. they regard having posted it within 14 days to the registered keeper as sufficient.
    if it’s any consolation they also like to ignore the bit of law that states that you are not obliged to admit guilt under threat of harsher penalty – basically what the NIP constitutes when it says ‘admit it or go to court’.

there’s loads of stuff online about this, but i wish you luck nevertheless.

Northwind

I’d take the 3 points and £100 and count it a bargain.

winston_dog
    Free Member

they regard having posted it within 14 days to the registered keeper as sufficient.

I coughed to mine but it was over 3 mths after the offence. They hadn’t chased me up or took me to court after 14 days.

I am not sure if I would have the bottle to try it but I wonder if anyone else has?

jekkyl

does make you wonder. Whenever you go through those cameras that tell you your speed it always indicates a speed a little lower then what your speedo says. Did all the car manufacturers get together and conspire to make all speedos slightly out? doing us all a favour and making the roads slightly safer.

winston_dog
    Free Member

doing us all a favour and making the roads slightly safer

Compared with my GPS it’s normally about 10% high. Think it’s some kind of liability protection.

olddog

yeah – compared with GPS it’s 5% to 10% higher on the speedo for me too. Not that GPS are 100% accurate either. But if you were 75 o the clock, it’s unlikely you were actually going that fast. Still a more than 50.

As advice above – your were caught – no arguments, take course of least resistance, accept the points and fine

molgrips
    Free Member

Did all the car manufacturers get together and conspire to make all speedos slightly out

Yep, in the UK they did. A speedo has to be accurate to within 10% by design afaik so the sensible thing to do is design them to read 10% under so that you can’t be sued if your car reads under and you get ticketed, or worse.

Of course nowadays eqiuppment is much more accurate, but I think they’ve tacitly left the situation the same since it saves fuel, reduces accident severity and helps congestion.

In the USA they don’t have this 10% thing so speedos generally read bang on. Which is interesting when comparing fuel economy between US cars and UK cars.

Del

yeah – typically domestic vehicles have the speedo calibrated so they read over. my van’s is bang on @ 70. i’ve checked it with gps a couple of times. i sail past a lot of cars on the motorway!

winston_dog
    Free Member

Not that GPS are 100% accurate either.

When they have a good signal they are pretty close to it for intents and purposes.

Northwind

I moved the speedo sensor from the front wheel to the larger rear wheel on the motorbike, and the end result was an almost perfectly accurate speedo. Then I forgot, and became really peeved about my poor mpg. Luckily never did the “Oh, I can exceed the speed limit by 10% safely” thing or I’d have ended up with the worst defence in legal history 😆

ScottChegg
    Free Member

However, someone I know, insists he just ignores any letters regarding speeding and eventually they don’t chase him up. As they are not recorded or anything how can they prove delivery? I am not condoning this behaviour and I do not know he is telling the truth by the way!

I have a sneaking suspicion he’s not being entirely honest.

As for the 10% guideline; it’s cobblers. My car reads 72mph at 70 on the GPS. You don’t need a calculator to know that isn’t anywhere near 10%

12fifty
    Free Member

Exactly what he said.

crankboy
    Free Member

Winston you have only had 2 months they have 6 in which to issue the summons . Proof of posting to address of registered keeper is presumed service on registered keeper in law. It is my day off and I can’t be bothered to dig out wilkinsons but I bet I know as much about how this works in theory and practice as you .

xiphon
    Free Member

In regards to the letters being posted, has anyone been in the situation where the registered address of the car has changed?

I may have been clocked, but on that date, the registered address of the car was our previous house, and admittedly, it took several weeks for me to remember (and post the form off).

Would the Police ask the DVLA once for the address, and keep sending letters there? Or if it was returned (assuming the property is lived in, which I don’t know), would they re-check?

winston_dog
    Free Member

I am not sure if I would have the bottle to try it but I wonder if anyone else has?

crankboy – If you had bothered to read my posts then you might of understood I am asking if anyone has tried this? I am not sure if he is being completely truthful.

someone I know, insists he just ignores any letters

The use of the “insists” would suggest I am quite skeptical.

Winston you have only had 2 months they have 6 in which to issue the summons

It was about 3 mths from offence to actually getting in touch with them. ASFAIK the 1st letter never did arrive, I never saw it, the reminder said it arrived about 4 weeks after the first but then nothing.

Apart from anything else, it would be worth hanging out for along as possible before responding as the points only last from date of offence not conviction.

crankboy
    Free Member

Sorry if I misread Winston. My point is the system is designed to get the offender and is not outwited by just ignoring the post . Many people do or change address only to find out at the least convenient time that they have a fine points and a warrent for their arrest for non payment .

Serial ignorers run a theoretical risk of being disqualified in their absence then done for drive disqualified so thier first knowledge of the case is when they are arrested for an offence that carries imprisonment . Note banning people in their absence is now frowned upon the propper way forward is to have them arrested brought before court in custody and then ban them .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Flashed doing 75 in a 50 dual carriageway, court or points?’ is closed to new replies.