Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Flash animation question
  • wetgrassagain
    Free Member

I have designed a series of ads for print with the final files as pdf's.

The client has asked if I can convert them to web ads that cycle through to give the impression of movement.

It is a really simple sequence of three layers with the text changing between each layer.

Not something that I normally do, my questions are;

1. Is Flash (which I have) the best tool for the job?
    2. I have done some simple Flash animation in the past, is what I described above difficult to achieve?
    3. Any better ideas on how to tackle it?
    4. Are chocolate hob-nobs the best biscuit in the world?

grumm
    Free Member

Couldn't you just make a gif? Think file size might be limited though?

You can do it in photoshop

http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/university/tutorials/ps_animatedgif_ab.shtml

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Flash would give much slicker results than gifs.

But check the technical spec for where they are to be placed (file size/allowance of Flash etc.

It sounds very simple to achieve (if I was to brief a developer to do it I would expect it to be a cheap job) but alas I cannot be bribed by biscuits as I cannot do it myself.

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Thanks, the gif thing looks easy, but as Mastiles said I think Flash would look slicker.

I am happy to do it myself as it is a skill I would like to acquire, i just wanted to make sure that this is the right way before I spend a couple of hours teaching myself how to do it.

WGA

nobtwidler
    Free Member

The good thing about gif is it is less likely to get blocked either by firewall or by flash blockers

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Are the ads on Singletrack Flash or animated gifs?

turboferret

Mixture by the looks of it – CRC and Charge are Flash, others are ani gifs – right click and you can tell.

Cheers, Rich

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

right click and you can tell.

Look at them and you can tell 😉

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Ah so it seems that CRC and JE James are Flash, the rest are animated gifs.

I may go down the gif route as I know Photoshop well, Flash will be a steep learning curve.

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Agree Mastiles you can tell by looking, the ad sequence I have in mind is like the Evans one (gif), nice and simple.

WGA

maxray
    Free Member

Generally you supply both flash and a gif replacement when sending banners to be used by affiliate sites. If you use Flash they will probably want you to use "clickTAG" so that they can track the clicks on the banner.

The people implementing the banners will have a specification document which will include what version of flash they prefer, filesize, clickTAG requirments etc.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Gif will do that, and if its not particularly shaded/complex it'll be fairly small and effective. Flash is a better way of doing it but gif is simple and easy to start with.

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Just found out some more info, the ads on the site it is for are all animated gifs, so that sounds like the way to go.

Thanks guys, that just saved me a frustrating afternoon pratting around with Flash.

WGA

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Wow that was easy!

Animated gif made and the client loves it.

Thanks guys

WGA

grumm
    Free Member

I'll take my 20% fee now please – paypal is fine. 😀

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

20% eh? You don't come cheap 😉

How about a whole load of trail karma?

Good vibes going your way 😀

WGA

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Flash animation question’ is closed to new replies.