• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by cy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Flaremax sizing
  • jree
    Free Member

Just looked on cotic site and large is 18.1″ and medium 16.7″. I’m just over 5 8″ and normally ride mediums but am I a large in a rocket?

StuF

I’d go medium, I’m 6’1″ and tried a large Rocket and it was the right size for me

rossburton
    Free Member

Ignore the top tube lengths. 5’8″ is 172cm which is in the middle of the Medium height range of 169cm – 180cm.

I’m 5’11” and a large in Cotic sizing.

cokie

I’m 173cm and riding a medium Cotic RocketMax.
    Fits nicely with a 40mm stem and one 5mm spacer under the stem.

seb84

I’m the same height as you and I’ve got a medium which is perfect. Tried a large and it was far too big.

niceandy
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium Flaremax and am 173cm, but reckon a large would be equally good.
    Have ridden a Rocketmax and medium is perfect. They are a longer reach and wheelbase than the Flaremax.

woots787
    Free Member

Not sure if you’re looking new or second hand but worth bearing in mind that cotic keep the recommended rider height the same but grow the frames. mk2 flaremax is 10mm shorter than the mk3. So I’m just a large on a mk2 flaremax but might go for a medium mk3.

jezzep

Hiya,

I’m 5ft9 and I’m riding a small. It’s perfect. I have the seat post high though. The problem I have is that I’m long in leg and short in body so small suits me better. Certainly I don’t want reach problems and that was the reason why I went for small. I would say take them up on the demo rides, but obviously you can’t do that at the moment. Phone them up they may be able to recommend a size I know Richard a little he’s expert at suggesting bike sizes. He got it spot on for the soul and the flare max I have.

BR
    JeZ

joebristol

Unless you’re unusually long of arm / upper body I’d go medium. The reach in the medium is 467mm and the large is 490mm. The wheelbase in the Flaremax is also longer so a bigger bike to throw about.

I’m 5’9 and had a ML size Bird Aeris which has a 481mm reach and even with a 32mm stem I always found it a bit too long in an ideal word.

jree
    Free Member

I ride a soul 2018 in medium at the moment. Reason I’m looking at flares is the soul geometry feels great and my brothers Solaris is the same. I’ve got a jeffsy I just can’t get on with at all (for sale on pink bike atm) and a previous thread I had on here seemed to suggest the geo between soul and YT could be the reason.
    I think I’ll give them a bell but medium seems to be right for me.

mrmoofo

I would guess medium- you could ring them but I guess they are all WFH, so you may not get an answer.
    I am 189 cm and ride an XL FlareMax. It seemed big to start with – but I now feel myself getting pissed off on anything smaller!
    Talking with Cy about sizing he suggested going bigger frame rather than smaller if you were in doubt. In my case that was correct.

I bought an XL Solaris Mk 1 – and sold that as it was like riding a gate. The L was way better!

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m 5’8” and riding a medium rocketmax. It fits absolutely perfectly, however I rode a medium and large flaremax on the demo day I did and large flaremax felt right!
    Demo would normally be the answer but..

cy

Hey there! We are remote working a isolating, but we’re very definitely open for business. Luckily for us, we were already set up for most of us to work from home occasionally, and that has left Master Mechanic Will on his own at HQ still being able to build bikes and prep frames whilst staying safe. Give us a call on 07970 853531 and one of us will answer.

You are on our crossover between small and medium, so either might suit depending on your preferences. If you email info@cotic.co.uk or call the above number, you will likely get Paul on there and he is your height and has ridden both, so you couldn’t have a better person to ask.

Regarding sizing in general, you have to a little bit careful as the longer geometry matures not to only concentrate on reach measurements. Yes, the new FlareMAX Gen3 is 10mm longer size for size in reach than the Gen2 bike, but the seat angle is also 2 degrees steeper, so in actual fact the distance from saddle rail clamp to bar centre is slightly less for a given size than the previous bike. Only a handful of millimetres, but that is the case. The steeper seat angle suits most riders better, and also means the small now fits people down to about 5ft 4in quite comfortably.

If you have a medium Gen5 Soul with Longshot geometry, then you will definitely be a medium on the FlareMAX. They will feel a bit different because the seat angle is a little steeper on the FlareMAX, but it should feel familiar. I can’t think of anyone your height who should be on a large.

Hope that helps. Do get in touch to talk it over though.

Cheers,

Cy @ Cotic

jree
    Free Member

Absolutely brilliant cy. Will ring later or tomorrow. Thanks so much.

cy

Happy to help.

Cheers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Flaremax sizing’ is closed to new replies.