Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • FlareMax: can I run 150mm fork
  • Premier Icon mrmoofo

Or will I die?
    The original spec was 130 front, 120mm back.
    Cotic updated that to 140mm front, 132 mm ( changed stroke on rear shock).
    If I change the front Pike to 150mm is it sacrilege… will it make it handle like a dog?
    Thoughts

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

Why do you want more travel on the front? Answers could be:

A: More sensitive suspension due to running more actual sag
    B: Takes more to bottom out
    C: Higher BB
    D: Slacker head angle
    E: Higher stack
    F: Less reach

Premier Icon metalheart

The simple answer is it’s only designed for 130-140mm (551mm CTA unsagged iirc).

Will you die? Depends, if yer really, really, really unlucky you might. Possibilities are you’ll rip the head tube off and you’ll have no warranty. This kind of failure is easy to spot!

Maybe you should trade up to RocketMAX instead?

Premier Icon kelvin

Not a good idea at all.

As the guru asks… what change are you after? There may be other ways to get what you want.

I’m running a Fox36 Grip @ 140mm on something very similar. You may just need a better fork, or a fork tune up, or an angleset, or offset bushings, or bigger tyres, or a shorter stem, or your saddle shifting, or some combination of those.

Premier Icon spev

I know Cotic say its travel not A to C that you should stick to, but:=

Pike @ 140mm axle to crown 541mm
    DVO Diamond @ 140mm axle to crowm 552mm
    Pike @ 150mm axle to crown 551mm
    DVO Diamond @ 140mm axle to crown 562mm

surely if the leverage of a pike at 150mm is enough to rip a head tube (I’m not convinced) then my DVO Diamond will do at at 140mm ? I’m not an engineer or bike designer and my maths is shonky at best so if i’m wrong please tell me (but dont be mean, its late and im tired)

Premier Icon chestrockwell

I’d imagine you will be fine. From memory mag reviewers were running the original Orange Segment at 140mm instead of 120mm and didn’t die.

Premier Icon kelvin

Pike @ 150mm axle to crown 551mm

561mm

DVO Diamond @ 140mm axle to crown 562mm

552mm

I’m not an engineer or bike designer and my maths is shonky at best so if i’m wrong please tell me

Where did you get your figures from?

Anyway, the frame has not been designed, tested or certified for 150mm forks.

Premier Icon spev

Pikes from Here

Dvo’s from their website but I misread the figures:) did say I was tired though😀

Premier Icon spev

Oddly, whilst I was rereading stuff ( cos I got it wrong so was re-checking) I see both Fox and Rockshox say +/-5mm for their a to c measurements, so a 150mm pike could be anywhere between 556 and 566 based on nominal being 561mm, seems a bit imprecise that, they seem pretty accurate everywhere else.

Free Member

Years ago I recall Cotic stating that it was travel not A2C that mattered because in addition to the longer A2C you also have the riding style that tends to go with longer travel and the greater force it takes to bottom out a longer travel fork.

Premier Icon chakaping

Or will I die?

No.

will it make it handle like a dog?

Quite likely.

As above, why do you want to anyway? 140mm should be more than adequate for shredding the gnar-gnar.

Premier Icon mrmoofo

Thanks all
    a) buy a rocket> yes – but it is another 2K
    b) Why ask – my Pikes are set at 130, I could go 140mm – but I was just turning it up to 11. It’s boring at home
    c) And yes 140mm is no doubt enough, esp as I don’t always use up all the front travel. But again – just thought I would ask.

I will now probably upgrade it to a 140mm airshaft,
    Thanks

Premier Icon niceandy
    Free Member

If you’re running debonair Pikes then probably ok. The larger negative air chamber tends to give more sag anyway.

Premier Icon woots787
    Free Member

I was thinking about this but ended up with a rocketmax. If, like me, you’re a ten stone (now home) office worker who doesn’t do anything crazy the you’ll probably be okay. I got some advice off a friend to put an angleset in to keep the seat angle, bb and bar height sensible.

Premier Icon mrmoofo

I am a 100kg carthorse …
    The FlareMax is the tool for 90% of my riding. I am not sure I can warrant a rocket.
    And it would be a charger Pike

Premier Icon woots787
    Free Member

Ha, bit trickier. I guess you have to decide how hard you are on bikes and decide if warranty matters. Good luck!

Premier Icon barney

I love the way there’s an actual, genuine Cotic employee on this thread (hiya Kelvin!), who everyone’s completely and utterly ignoring 😂🤣

Premier Icon rossburton

Barney: we’re all tired of experts, remember.

Free Member

“b) Why ask – my Pikes are set at 130, I could go 140mm – but I was just turning it up to 11. It’s boring at home”

It isn’t all positives, hence my earlier question. Increasing the fork travel by 20mm will slacken the angles by almost a degree, raise the BB about 6mm, shorten the reach, increase the stack, etc and that’s ignoring the warranty issue.

Premier Icon mrmoofo

Who’s ignoring Kelvin?
    I’m not – and I was hoping he would reply. And his comments have been noted

Premier Icon mrmoofo

All sorted with Kelvin.
    They were Debonair BTW

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.