Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Flannel shirts – middle aged content
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

Need some new shirts, and whilst I love the quality of the flannel check shirts I have by Patagonia, fjall raven and the like, they are very spendy. Anyone know any good online sources for decent quality thick wool / flannel check shirts that won’t break the bank??

cinnamon_girl
    DezB
    Free Member

My stock answer – SportPursuit

ton

peter Christian
    Columbia
    north face

l0key
    Free Member

Or just wait for when animal has online sales of them aka all the time (not dfs level)

mariner
    Free Member

Have a search for Carhartt american flannel shirts.

prawny

Primarni baby. Just need to be careful when you put them back on after a wash, they contract a bit in the wash but relax again after an hour or two.

kayla1
    Free Member

Charity shops? I’ve ended up with loads of decent quality checky shirts (and skinny jeans) I use for riding in at about £3 each (my favourite one cost a quid. A quid!) and you’d be Helping Out A Little and when they’re worn out you don’t feel so bad about cutting them up for rags.

siwhite
    Free Member

Alpkit ones are epic – wicking, treated with something that means they don’t stink after two days and really warm. Too hot for summer use though.

I’m planning to try some of THESE when they are released.

meatsupreme
    Free Member

Superdry Ebay outlet often has them heavily reduced

epicyclo

Any proper wool flannel shirts?

Cotton is an indoor material in a wet climate IMO.

Klunk
    Free Member

for hot summers days 100% linen (and about 2 sizes too big) is the way to go.

Houns

Local farm supplies shop

richardkennerley

As mentioned above, superdry. They’re about the best fitting shirt for me, loads of choice too. I got one with a quilted lining which I can wear in a freezing day with just a t-shirt underneath.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Thanks guys & girls, did a bit of googling based on some of the above recommendations and came across a shop called surfdome – surfy, skaty, snow boardery type of shop with s good selection of people are looking for somewhere new – including some nice Patagonia flannel shirts with 25% off, so now just expensive rather thank facking expensive

chrisdw
    Free Member

Another vote for superdry sale.
    Veey thick good quality material.

earl_brutus

Just bought 4 shirts from Westbeach. Thick warm and good quality. £25ea

alpin
    Free Member

Got some thick cotton shirts from Muji.

And TK Max is worth a look from time to time.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

I love my Ironheart shirts.

12 oz heavy weight cotton flannel

12 oz heavy weight cotton flannel

Great value too!

maccruiskeen

If you’re looking for a thicker over-shirt Lee have some wool ones half price on their website

https://uk.lee.com/uk-en/mens-clothing/shop-by-category/mens-shirts/wool-zip-overshirt-l67lvrkg.html

quite blanket-y but a bit too short in the arms for me so I had to send mine back (and got a second hand woolrich alaskan for £25 on ebay instead)

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Work outdoors, practically living in a Dickies insulated shirt at the moment. Tough, deals with the odd shower ok, and plenty warm.

Bregante

Looks like they only have a few sizes left now but I recently got three (different colours) of the Oakley Factory Pilot flannel shirts from the Oakley store for under £100. They’re supposed to be for riding but far too nice for that. Zip pockets and jumper style cuffs not to everyone’s taste but I quite like them and the quality is fantastic.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Work outdoors, practically living in a Dickies insulated shirt at the moment. Tough, deals with the odd shower ok, and plenty warm.

I wear one of them at work –its not a flannel shirt. Warm though.its pretty much a picnic blanket sewn into a shirt shape.

mindthegap
    Free Member

They’re cotton rather than wool but Passenger Clothing do very good quality clothes. I bought 2 shirts in the sale and they fit well and are thick and warm.

Mens Shirts

CountZero

Uniqlo but they’re not thick.

Depends – they vary quite a bit, I’ve got eight or nine, and they go from a very thin, light material perfect for warm days, up to a really thick, heavy cloth, which is ideal for autumn or winter.
    So soft and comfy, and pretty cheap.

trail_rat
    Free Member

they vary quite a bit

Uniqlo and poor QC. There’s. Shock.

Stopped shopping there when even two identical items ordered at the same time had completely different fits. Had to check I’d not bought from on-one

razorrazoo

Edwin Labour shirt. Spendy at RRP but I’ve picked them up for half price or less with a bit of Googling.

burko73

I’ve bought a few berghaus techy fake flannel shirts that are actually man made fibre. Great over a base layer and they don’t hold water and dry quickly. The only prob is they are a bugger to get jumpers on over as they are like mini Velcro it seems. I th8 k they are the explorer 2 shirt and I got them for £20 each with a bit of googling. Good with a t shirt and jeans or on the bike/ out for a walk.

chevychase

Don’t you need a beard to wear flannel shirts by law or something?

I mean, I’ve got a beard, a rather magnificent one, but flannel?

I’d rather shave my mangina 🙂

oldfart

Just saw yesterday that the super toasty Animal number I bought at the start of Winter for about £45 can now be got for half price 🙄

cheers_drive

I’m planning to try some of THESE when they are released.

The word tactical is used, I’m out

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I love my Ironheart shirts.

I did a search on them, are they really 300 euros?

ton

Don’t you need a beard to wear flannel shirts by law or something?

I mean, I’ve got a beard, a rather magnificent one, but flannel?

I’d rather shave my mangina 🙂

once you get to 50 it is part of your normal wardrobe. that and a nitted arran cardie…… ;o)

drnosh
    Free Member

Yea, but, no but.

Endura are perpetuating the myth with the ‘Shacket’

https://www.endurasport.com/product/hummvee-shacket/

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Flannel shirts – middle aged content’ is closed to new replies.