Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Flannel/check shirt virgin – spec me!
  • ta11pau1

I’m looking to widen my biking wardrobe a bit, with a 2 week trip to Scotland in late April/early May in mind, which is going to involve a lot of being on the side of mountains/out in the middle of nowhere in Torridon, with all the Spring Scottish weather that entails.

Currently if it’s a bit chilly I wear a long sleeve Jersey with a merino layer underneath, but I’d like a decent long sleeve flannel/check shirt to be able to wear when riding, over a normal short sleeve Jersey.

I’ve got a bigger backpack on order (Evoc Protector Trail Pro 26) so I’ll have room for a proper waterproof jacket (MT500) for when it’s raining sideways, and a down jacket for when we’ve stopped, or the wind is cutting through me like a cheesegrater and/or it’s snowing, but I’d like something to pack/wear for general riding in ‘not 15 degrees’ weather.

Slim fit please, I’m 6ft 3in and 75kg – so long arms and torso is a must. And nothing green in colour, I’ve realised I’ve got far to much green stuff! Shoes, 1 pair of shorts (of 3), jacket, helmet, and now my bag!!

So, in the absence of the STW club ride shirt (I’ve waited for months and they’ve never come back in stock), spec me up!

drnosh
    Free Member

I bought one of these at Christmas. Don’t think that I paid £75 for it though.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-trail-tech-shirt

Poppers on the front so you can open/close whilst riding one handed. Slightly fleecy on the inside so comfortable against your skin.

Overall happy with it.

Alpkit have their Woodsmoke shirt at £90.

Woodsmoke [Mens]

I have not tried one, but its on my list for an impulsive late Saturday night purchase at some time.

Although not a shirt, obviously, this is a useful piece of kit.

https://www.albioncycling.com/product/burner-black/

In the old days we used to shove a newspaper inside your jumper !!!

ta11pau1

Ta, I’m a platinum customer on Wiggle so that DHB shirt is £66, I need to order a bladder for my new bag from them so might take a chance on that one – the Alpkit does look nicer but maybe not at £90. Wiggle returns are excellent too.

What’s the fit/sleeve length on the DHB?

benp1

I’m 6’3 and 80kg. Medium Alpkit woodsmoke is a lovely shirt. I tend to wear it as an everyday thing but it’s OK for the bike, although I’d wear my actual jerseys with a longer sleeve

Tracey
    Tracey

Double post

matt_outandabout
    ta11pau1

Those 2 are out of stock in Medium which is what I’d need. Also, I sweat. A lot. Unless it’s close to freezing, so I’ll probably need to stay away from 100% cotton shirts..

rOcKeTdOg

I like the alpkit woodsmoke, I’ve got two of those, current got a santini tech shirt in for review (below) and it’s been great in the recent chilly weather. The alpkit ones work but are a walking cut, the santini is cycling specific
    PXL_20230312_103136962.MP

Woodsmoke
    PXL_20221105_122404281~2

liam1974

Revolution Race campfire shirt, great quality, long in the sleeves and body, I’m 6’4 and have a couple in XL, much nicer than the Alpkit woodsmoke and currently 20% off.

hardtailonly

I recently got the Endura shirt.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-hummvee-flannel-shirt-aw22/rp-prod212562

It’s green. So, exactly what you’d not asked for! But, it’s ‘only’ £50. Its nice, I wear it a lot, including on the bike. The only frustration I have is the chest pockets are too small to carry a phone.

I’d like the Alpkit Woodsmoke, but £90 on a shirt is just bloody barmy in my view.

@hardtailonly how did the pockets come on your Endura?

I’ve looked at them before but they show two designs – one with the pocket checks horizontal (which looks a bit poo) and one with them diagonal (which looks better imo)

mark88
    hardtailonly

how did the pockets come on your Endura?

I’ve looked at them before but they show two designs – one with the pocket checks horizontal (which looks a bit poo) and one with them diagonal (which looks better imo)

Mine came with the check diagonal.

oldfart

I’ve got a Dakine tech shirt works on and off the bike not sure if it’s still available?

ta11pau1

Yeah I saw that Pearl Izumi shirt, not sure on the baby sick colour, though. And the 2nd one, a non check flannel/riding shirt?! Pfft!

Can’t see many places with the Dakine Reid shirt, and it looks like quite a loose fit – being a skinny guy with (almost) no belly I don’t need anything loose.

kelvin

I’ve got a Dakine tech shirt works on and off the bike not sure if it’s still available?

I don’t think they are. I love mine, but it’s a size too big really (I didn’t realise they were a “size down” brand)… failed to find one my size since.

VanHalen

i’ve got teh endura one and its great. really good on teh bike. i like the poppers etc. slim cut. I’m 6ft and broad of shoulder and the large is perfect.

I’ve a dickies flannel thats nice to hang out in but the arms (well teh whole shirt really) are not cut for biking.

ta11pau1

Hmm, the Endura seems a good choice, shame wiggle only have it in green. Currently I’ve a DHB shirt in my basket, with wiggle easy returns I’ll give it a try and see what it’s like.

Anyone tried the Canyon shirt?

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gear/accessories/canyon-merchandise/canyon-flannel-shirt/9101660.html

A couple of the reviews state it’s quite tight in the body with long sleeves. For me, that’s good!!

82 quid with delivery.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I use and wood recommend a Rab perimeter shirt. https://www.trekitt.co.uk/clothing/shirts-t-shirts/rab-mens-perimeter-shirt-ebony__43348 I’d recommend a M for you OP. I’m 6’2” and 85kg and the M was tummy snug so I went L. A good shirt as it’s a wool/poly blend so minimal washing and plenty of warmth.

hardtailonly

Anyone tried the Canyon shirt?

Ooh. I like the look of that. Seems much more like a shirt/riding Jersey crossover. The chest pocket looks good, but wonder how easy it is to roll up the sleeves.

hardtailonly

current got a santini tech shirt in for review (below) and it’s been great in the recent chilly weather.

£160?? Should bloomin well hope so too!

Ooh. I like the look of that. Seems much more like a shirt/riding Jersey crossover. The chest pocket looks good, but wonder how easy it is to roll up the sleeves

This is not the greatest of looks though 🤣

ta11pau1

Ha, no – but it’s better than some websites which use hulking great models with forearms the size of my calves! Endura are good for this, the model they use is quite a similar size to me, a bit shorter and heavier but similar build. Not a 100kg 5ft 10in bodybuilder.

timmycee
    Free Member

Love my Shaka from Club Ride. Snap front, zip pockets, riding specific cut. Great customer service too. Mine fell out of my handlebar bag and shredded the sleeve on the disc rotor, no fault of their’s whatsoever and they gave me a 40% crash replacement discount on a new one.

Del

I got the dhb one for about 35 quid not long ago and the alpkit one for about 40 a few years ago. Like the alpkit for casual use but the poppers are quite heavy and one on the cuff has recently pulled out referring it a bit useless. Wondering what to do with it. 🤔

The dhb is a little lighter weight and with correspondingly lighter weight poppers. It was bought in a whim but for the money I don’t begrudge it.

Neither are worth the prices quoted above imv. You’ll get decent light softshell or heavier weight jerseys for similar money that are far better for riding in. If you want the look of flannel fair enough though. 👍

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Now don’t laugh. But I got a 2 pack of these…
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184730474069?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6JLl1oMQQ4O&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=65qE3SoQTnW&var=693150458092&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not warm and fairly thin. But a nice merino base layer / Jersey under it, is good for all but the coldest days.

hardtailonly

Like the alpkit for casual use but the poppers are quite heavy and one on the cuff has recently pulled out referring it a bit useless. Wondering what to do with it. 🤔

Well, if its a small, sell it to me (serious suggestion!)

Alternatively, Alpkit do a repair service, give them a call or pop in if you have one local.

funkmasterp

I’d highly recommend the ones you can buy from Singletrack. I’ve got the short and long sleeved versions and they’re both ace. For something warmer the Endura Shacket is pretty good too

drnosh
    Free Member

As he said.

Alpkit will repair.

ta11pau1

I’d highly recommend the ones you can buy from Singletrack. I’ve got the short and long sleeved versions and they’re both ace. For something warmer the Endura Shacket is pretty good too

You’ll mean the club ride ones?

IE Long sleeved:

Singletrack Club Ride Go Long Riding Shirt

As far as I know they’ve been out of stock (in M and L) for ages. This thread wouldn’t be here if they were in stock as I’d have bought one months ago. If you buy direct from club ride they ship from the US so that’s all sorts of issue for a riding shirt.

LAT

chromag make good looking check shirts in stretchy synthetic material.

the kitsbow icon is a merino blend (i think) and said to be a cracking shirt, but you pay for them.

if you’re making the move to plaid, you may want to match it up with something from https://riptonco.com/collections/shop

Merak

If you buy direct from club ride they ship from the US so that’s all sorts of issue for a riding shirt.

Ask me how I know….

rootes1

@ta11pau1

let us know how you get in with this, especially sleeve length for the more stretchy bike specific options.

I’m 6’5” and 78kg sleeves always an issue in slimmer sizes for non bike check shirts found Frahm work shirts in Large Tall work but bit spendy, but nice and then on the cheaper front Large Tall from 2Tall.com got slim/long fits. I notice they (2tall) are now starting to do more sports stuff, inc some very basic bike things – made track pants buying super easy!

Del

Now don’t laugh

Am laughing.

Ok. I’ll touch up alpkit and see what they say.

lardman
    Free Member

I hear Kitsbow shirts are supposed to be great.
    If you have spare cash sloshing around, awaiting to be spent!

Money money money

Blackflag
    Free Member

@Rocketdog – Do you also work as a barista?

walowiz

Some nice options above

Do like that santini Dylan technical shirt – but £160 ! And I thought the RAB gravel gear looked expensive.

FOG

Merak, how do you know?
    I fancied one of these from STW shop but there are very few sizes left so was looking at the club ride website. The £26 postage was discouraging, and there are other issues?

kiwijohn

My Dakine flannels are getting worn out so I was also looking for a new one.

Got the Enduro one, which is nice, but a bit slim on the fit.

Also have an Oakley one. Very nicely made, but a bit too cotton for riding.

Then I found an Adidas flannel. Heavy weight & technical material. Buttons instead of poppers aren’t ideal, though it does have a stealth internal chest pocket.

I did like the look of the DHB, expensive though.

Wish Dakine still made good looking gear, it’s all a bit meh these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.