• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by sv.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • fixing ground anchors
  • Sam

following hora's enlightened thread about shed storage, it seems there are a number of folks who do nonetheless keep them there, as I do. However, because of some concern over theft, I have some ground anchors I need to install. They are this kind, though they didn't come with any installation instructions. Any tips? Just make a hole , put em in and fill up with cement? Is there some sort of extra strong non-crumbly cement I should be using?

footflaps

Personally I'd use a chicken mesh inside the concrete to make it hold together better or use thick galvanised wire and tie it around the anchor. They'll just angle grind through your chain anyway – pretty much nothing can withstand an angle grinder and a bit of time…..

br
    Free Member

Basically the higher percentage of cement, the stronger.

And since you are making the 'block' yourself, you could also sink and iron mesh and/or bars across it, a few inches under the surface.

Also tamp it down.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4556182_make-concrete-even-stronger.html

ahwiles
    Free Member

use concrete, not cement.

(cement + sand + gravel)

iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

Go to B&Q or the like and they usually sell bags of ready mixed concrete just add water.

Sam

Thanks for the tips guys, plan to get it done this weekend.

RustyMac

Use concrete, make a big a hole as you can, i chucked in some wire mesh and lerger granite stones to bulk it up. If you need to smooth off the top you can put a skim of cement over it once the concrete has set.

B&Q have ready mixed bags you just add water to. Buy more than you think you will need as it is suprising how much you will use and you can always take any un opened bags back to B&Q

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would use some rebar or similar to make it harder to remove the ground anchor

sv

Add some 'quarry dust' to the mix, gives a good bond and yes plenty of cement.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘fixing ground anchors’ is closed to new replies.