Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fixing Carbon Fibre
  • zokes
    Free Member

Being a clumsy oaf, I managed to damage my carbon fibre tripod the other day. I seem to have fractured the outer layer of fibre, which has left some sharp edges, and obviously compromised its water proofing, but the inner layer(s?) still seem intact.

It doesn’t seem to have compromised its strength enough to be a concern, so what I’m after is a way to seal the crack, but it but be absolutely flush or the leg won’t go back inside its telescopic guide. I had thought about epoxy, letting it cure, then sanding it down with fine paper. Is this a daft thing to do? If so, what are my other options?

Pigface
    Free Member

Cutlery, not a Troll I realise you are a sensitive flower but I am trying to be helpful.

zokes
    Free Member

So, which piece of cutlery has a hidden second function that enables it to be effective in repairing carbon fibre?

If you’re trying to be helpful, I’d suggest you might need to try a little harder, my piggy friend.

Pigface
    Free Member

I am made up to be your friend, didn’t a big hitter experiment with spoons and carbon fibre to great success?

zokes
    Free Member

No idea, but unless I melt a spoon to fill in the cracks, I can’t see that working. And if I did, I suspect the carbon would end up on fire.

Possibly not your most useful suggestion, I’m afraid

andrewh
    Free Member

A knife may serve as a useful splint…
    More helpfully maybe, non-structural carbon issues are easy to repair, even I’ve managed it http://www.andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/mending-carbon-frame.html A snapped swingarm was sent away to someone who knew what they were doing though.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Carry out a repair just as you would with glass fibre – its essentially the same process. I’d guess you can buy CF repair kits containing some CF matting and epoxy. You could probably use a glass fibre repair kit.

bearnecessities

Nail varnish?

*paints toes*

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member
    ssboggy

You could always have a word with these guys Carbon Cycle Repairs if you don’t fancy doing it yourself

zokes
    Free Member

Hmmm – fishing. Now there’s a thought. The trouble is, any added webbing would mean the leg won’t slide back in telescopically. As it still seems sound enough structurally, do you reckon some of that resin on its own would do the trick to fill in the tracks in the outer layer, then sand smooth?

EDIT – now I’ve read the bike fixing one too, that should do it. Excellent – I knew STW would be able to answer that one!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fixing Carbon Fibre’ is closed to new replies.