Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fixing a TV to a drylined wall with large cavity
  • nemesis
    Free Member

Fixing a 43″ TV mount to a wall and the drylined wall actually seems to have two cavities so that in effect there’s around 2″ from the outer surface of the plasterboard to the solid wall behind.

Any suggestions on what to use to fix to it? I was going to use standard brown rawl plugs in the solid wall with spacers to bring it out to the plasterboard but have concerns now that 2″ is too much for that approach.

Stoner
    Free Member

fix a spreader plate to the plasterboard first?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Use THESE and get the setting tool HERE to match.

I use mine for so many things now living in a “Bovis Box”.
    Makes every other type of wall fixing obsolete where plasterboard is concerned.

nemesis
    Free Member

Stoner – You’re suggesting still using standard rawl plugs and long screws with that then?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Use the fixings Hammyuk says above. I hung a 45kg plasma TV on my drylined wall and used them. I used about 10 fixings and to test it i hung on the bracket before I put the TV on it

alexxx
    Free Member

I did this last week – got a bit of 18mm pine and made sure it was about 20cm wide and 40cm high.

I went to bnq and got some super deep 4″ screws which I think are furniture fixings as you basically drill a 10mm hole in your wood and the wall and then the rawl plug for the screw sits into the wood with a flange so it can’t pull through… you then tighten it up with a spanner.

It’s super solid and the plasterboard has the load nicely spread so it’s got no issues.

The bigger the plate the better spread the forces and it’s always hidden so don’t under do it.

The extra wood below the metal tv bracket I’m going to use to rig up some better cable management too.

Like so:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hgns36rafduipi/Photo%2014-11-2016%2C%2012%2004%2038.jpg?dl=0

I used similar to these but with a bolt head

http://www.diy.com/departments/rawlplug-frame-fixing-dia10mm-l120mm-pack-of-4/254648_BQ.prd

Stoner
    Free Member

Fix the spreader to the plasterboard using the things hammy suggests (or I favour the self tapping inserts at the foot of that page) and then depending on your spreader material, you could use wood screws or another set of expanding bolts that go all the way through the spreader and plasterboard.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I did this, I just used really really really long screws to get into the wall behind.

nemesis
    Free Member

My TV is only 9kg so the anchors sound like a good option

alexxx
    Free Member

I just didn’t do the plasterboard only solution as I didn’t know how careless housemates might be pulling the tv out to access behind it and I figured if it’s into the brickwork it’s not getting any more solid.

johnners
    Free Member

These claim to be up to it and look pretty simple to use. I’ve bought some to fit a towel rail in the bathroom but haven’t got around to doing it so no first hand experience yet.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The self tapping ones are ok up to a point then they have a habit of either breakign the tap point off or simply chewing the plasterboard and not gripping.
    The compression ones I linked to expand so there is no way they can come back out unless to physically take all the plasterboard with it.
    Plus the screws are a machine thread so don’t jam like the self tapping ones can.

Stoner
    Free Member

The self tapping ones are ok up to a point then they have a habit of either breakign the tap point off or simply chewing the plasterboard and not gripping.

lean on them when driving them in! 😉

bruneep

What hammy says

jamj1974

Hammyuk +1.

project
    Free Member

Be aware of hidden pipes, cables etc, builder i was talking to last year, got called to a newish dry lined house, the owner had put cables diagonal and horiziontal behind walls to save pipe and cable runs, the new owner had htehn drilled through them and had leaks power outages, so all g/f walls had to be re done.

ps, METAL AND PIPE DETECTORS DONT REGISTER PLASTIC HDPE PIPES

Sandwich

Is that bitter experience Project?

deadslow

I have used rigifix to hang a 55 inch TV with cantilever bracket and sound bar on the bottom.
    They are super strong and create a rigid anchor point in line with the plasterboard. Really pleased with them, not cheap but then a new TV isn’t either.

nemesis
    Free Member

I did see those but wondered if the 2″ distance would be too big for them

daviek

We marked up the holes in the bracket on the wall. Cut out some slots in the plasterboard and used rawl plugs to fix some wood to the brickwork that was the correct thickness for the plaster to fit flush on top. Fix the bracket to the wood with big self tappers and that should be more than enough.

Rawl plugs like this but whatever size you need

Rawl plugs

djflexure

If you read this far this is what we just did:

Batton the wall then insert double thickeness ply to the area where you want to fix your TV.

Consider running a couple of plastic pipes from floor to area that will be concealed by TV – to hide cables.

Plaster

stumpyjon

Hammy +2 good enough for large radiators if used properly.

tinribz
    Free Member

Just get one of those (tesco) universal mounts with a gazillion holes to use and make sure at least one makes it into a stud, which should be max 60cm apart. That’s what I did. The mounts let you slide the TV into position horizontally.

xico
    Free Member

Long screws!

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

If you are wall mounting, presumably youbare chasing cables in the wall cavity also.
    If that’s the case, use yhe opportunity oadding a communication wall box/cover plate to access the cavity. Use cut pieces of 2×4 in behind the plasterboard to spread the load.
    You could anchor these to the wall if you really wanted, but 4 small pieces of 2×4 at the TV mounts will spread the load far better than any other “insert from front” hardware.

inwall plate like this

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a TV to a drylined wall with large cavity’ is closed to new replies.