Fixing a ripped tyre

Home Forum Bike Forum Fixing a ripped tyre

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fixing a ripped tyre
  • qwerty

you can only bodge it not fix it,
    this is your trail side bodge friend:

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Yeah I normally carry a bit of plastic as a tyre boot, those plastic sleeves you put office papers in also do a decent get me home job for free. Not that I had it with me ysterday 🙁

Sweet wrappers, a glove, sturdy leaves will do in an emergency.

I’ve ‘fixed’ smaller rips with the extra long reinforced puncture patches and a couple of stiched thrown round the knobble before. If its and inch long its had it though.

cynic-al

I’ve seen stitched tyres last ages. You can get non-stretch patches for ust repairs which might stick, min 10 for £10 and special glue needed IIRC.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

I seem to remember someone saying stitch with dental floss, is this right?

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Slashed a tyre at LQ yesterday, brand new, can I fix it somehow?
    From the inside the cut looks about an inch long, from the tread side it’s about 1 cm, it’s in the centre of the tread section. In the past I have stuck a patch on the inside and outside when I got small cut in the sidewall, originally done as a get me home but it’s still in use a cpl yrs later. I may just try a big patch, or maybe even a section of inner tube, inside dunno if it’ll hold tho (obviously I can’t patch the tread side)

Any ideas?

dental floss will work, its usualy very tough stuff. Just sew it up eith lots of small stiches about 2-3mm in from the cut so they dont rip out. then glue a patch of thin cloth over the inside with lots of rubber solution.

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a ripped tyre’ is closed to new replies.