Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • fixing a nerf / xshot gun…
  • DT78
    Free Member

as this place is the font of all knowledge. my son has snapped the firing handle of his xshot crusher and is really upset. its snapped clean in half at the elbow.

Google isn’t coming up with any sites that might sell spares for it.

anyone suggest where I could get a replacement it’s got to be quite a common part to go.

johndoh
    Free Member

Will it not repair? Carefully drilled holes + cable ties? Sucru? Non-drip Gorilla Glue? 12 metres of gaffer tape?

Northwind

I run an ebay shop selling used and refurbed nerf guns 🙂 A lot of what I do is fixing up knackered ones. Unfortunately there’s no source of spares for anything, so if zuru customer service can’t help (I wouldn’t even bother if it was hasbro/nerf but zuru are a bit less monolithic so it’s worth a try) the only option is to repair it, find another with a different breakage and cannibalise it, or get another one and convince yourself that getting a spare belt is worth it. Or there’s a couple on ebay for £20-ish without a belt.

Is it the top handle bit? It’ll be pretty stressed so a repair might be tricky.

I’m pretty sure I don’t have one but I’ll have a look, there’s a couple of big boxes of random broken stuff out the back.

DT78
    Free Member

yes it’s the top handle thing that actuates the firing mechanism. it’s snapped on the bend so not fixable

possibly I could try cutting a bit of mdf to fit it. might make it a bit stronger. though he has a habit of leaving it outside in the rain….

cannibalising an old one maybe the way forward.

Northwind

They’re mostly ABS so that’s generally pretty fixable, if you don’t mind it being ugly, you can heat and chemical weld it…

DT78
    Free Member

What glue would I use it looks pretty terminal, so I think I would have to wrap it with something that would dry hard, like they use for a cast these days?

nixie

Not glue as such but acetone mixed with old abs fragments to make a slurry. Then carefully stick together. You can also use hot staples (bumper repair kits) or a soldering iron then reinforce with ABS slurry. I suspect keeping the correct shape would be tough.

stumpyjon

£24 For a new one?
    JD Williams

Northwind

Yeah that’s the answer tbh.

If I was going to fix it- I’d get the part off, see how distorted it is, if it lines back up well that makes it easier. Nixie’s spot on, ABS disolves in acetone so you can make a combined filler/chemical welder out of that, or model aircraft glue similarly. A decent epoxy would be good for reinforcing. (people recommend devcon plastic weld epoxy, ime it’s a bit shit) Or, instead of glue, get a soldering iron and hot weld it all together. I think it’s a 2 part arm that fits together at the top, so if that’s the case it’s probably pretty easy to add a bit of bar or similar into the inside to super-strength it.

TBF I wouldn’t fix one of these up, considering a new one’s pretty inexpensive and you’ll likely have to spend a bit on fixing it. But that’s how I’d do it.

DT78
    Free Member

buying new has been mooted to wifey, but she is adamant he shouldnt be getting a new one because he mistreated his old toy. Fixing it was a comprimise!

nixie

Looking at the pictures I bet you could make a replacement for that using Lego technic (obv not helpful unless you have some laying around).

porter_jamie

no one 3d print these things?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Support Independent Mountain Bike Journalism

Like what you are reading?

Bookmark us now and come back again.

Try out Singletrack membership today from only 49p per week

(49p is the weekly equivalent price of the £25 annual digital membership)

Support Independent Mountain Bike Journalism

Singletrack World is a largely reader funded community with over 6,000 members trusting us for their mountain bike news, reviews, adventures, advice and big views.  

Try out Singletrack membership today from only 49p per week

(49p is the weekly equivalent price of the £25 annual digital membership)