Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fixing a broken lamp without killing myself
  • Harry_the_Spider

Got one of these lamps that is turned on by the slightest of touches. However it is broken.

Can I swap out this bit with a normal on off switch from another lamp?

I assume that there is a feed into the control box for the “touchy bit” so I need to be sure that I don’t make the casing live as this would be bad.

CountZero

I don’t see a problem, if you’re disconnecting the actual power cable from the current control box, you’ll be screwing two discrete pieces of wire into a regular switch, so there should be no issues, unless I’m missing an important piece of the puzzle here.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The base will very likely be live if you just have on/off instead of all the complicated bits.

Start at the bulb holder, and rewire back to the plug with appropriate flex and a simple switch.

MrNutt
    Free Member

YOU WILL DIE!

remember todays smart young electricians are all doing it in the bath whilst plugged in.

john_drummer
    Free Member

or you could simply buy a new lamp

northshoreniall

Repaired similar by just opening lamp base, removing all the fancy pants touch stuff and rewiring with simple on off switch cable from another defunct lamp unit. Though safer than playing with smart touch kit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a broken lamp without killing myself’ is closed to new replies.