Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Fixing a bike for a friend of a friend
  • tjagain

I am just about to go to pick up a bike to attempt to sort for a friend of a friend. The gears slip since she crashed it. How much do you think i will find wrong with it? I’m thinking bent mech hanger but I am really wondering just how bad it will be

any bets?

yetidave
    Free Member

Rear brake not working, bearing on one wheel needing replacement, headset loose and forks on the wrong way round, oh and at least one ferrule missing, meaning you will inject your finger with rusty water with the frayed end of a cable.

DezB
    Free Member

Forks on backwards

trail_rat
    Free Member

Itl be a trax.

andrewh
    Free Member

Just remember anything which stops working on it for the next three or four years will be your fault, “that bit was fine before you looked at it”

scotroutes

Have you asked over on publicliabilityinsurancetrackworld?

Just remember anything which stops working on it for the next three or four years will be your fault, “that bit was fine before you looked at it”

And that includes punctures.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Whole drivetrain worn, buckled wheels, snapped spokes.

Klunk
    Free Member

cracked frame, rusted cotter pins, shot bb….

elwoodblues
    Free Member

It’s a trap!

ajantom

I’m sure there’s an opportunity here for a BSO Bingo card 🙂

tjagain

I have found one issue!

Its not a bso tho – norco threshold
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2kEz9fz]20210224_105407[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

bruneep

Has an end cap on cable, that’s more than my bike has 👍

richmtb

Well those are some nice smooth jockey wheels.

Realistically if its in that state it will need, new jockey wheels, new chain , new cassette and new chainrings

If the wheels are cup and cone they will be needing some attention too, although must likely they are already trashed.

I take in bikes to repair all the time from friends, colleagues and neighbours but I’m realistic about what I can and can’t “fix” versus me just replacing stuff.

sbtouring
    Free Member

Look at that, either 10minutes and a bit of adjustment and a bit of chain lube and it will be ok.

Or (more than likely) its going to be a can of worms and you’ll be regretting offering your service

I’m going for 8 faults

StuF

Looks like some putoline will fix that

kayla1
    Free Member

Ugh. Abandon ship. We used to help friends of friends out but with the best will in the world once you’ve brayed your umpteenth seized-on tapered crank off yet another **** unsealed BB only be met with cries of ‘How much??!!!?? It’s only a bike!” when you give them the receipt for the cheapest replacement parts available from your very handy (like, round the corner handy) LBS (now closed 😢 ) while they **** waited as you popped round for parts so you can try and undo the years of neglect you kind of lose the will to continue helping.

See also: Parents who’ve bought their kid a BSO and want you to ‘fix’ it on Boxing Day.

akira

I have to oil the chain every year?

thenorthwind

Pie dish looks in good order though.

kayla1
    Free Member

I have to oil the chain every year?

Oh man, so much this 🤣

tjagain

Its brilliant isn’t it. 5 seized links. I have freed off all the seized links and now its in the putoline – lets see how magic it is! Surprisingly its only just over 1% on the chainchecker and the rest of the drivetrain looks OKish so a freed up chain might just get her moving again –

I am going to a have a little sympathy for her – nurse, single mum, just moved house and commutes 6 miles each way on it 5 days a week and has done thru all the snow and salt

I think I will give her a bottle of chain lube!

JAG

Great idea – creates a good impression and does not discourage her from cycling ;o)

DezB
    Free Member

commutes 6 miles each way on it 5 days a week

Good on her! And you for sorting the rust er I mean bike 🙂

csb

Is there a material softer than the alloy they use on the fittings and nuts on crap vbrake arms?

tjagain

She also uses a trailer with it to get her shopping

the bike had a £200 service at a shop less than 2 months ago apparantly. I just think the salt has done for it

working oil into the chain and then putolining it has improved it in that I can now get all links to move but still some stiff ones. What else might free it off? White spirit? ( just thinking of what I have to hand)

granny_ring

Looks like some putoline will fix that

🙂

the bike had a £200 service at a shop less than 2 months ago apparantly.

With the jockey wheels like that…….

tjagain

Jockey wheels are not as bad as that pic makes them look

Coca cola to derust the chain? IIRC its got phosphoric acid in it which might do something?

belugabob
    Free Member

I have found one issue!

Just the one…?

Seriously, though, top marks for her sustainable transport ethic – and to you, for helping out.

mrchrispy

zilog6128

Jockey wheels are not as bad as that pic makes them look

I was going to say – I’ve NEVER seen one that bad, normally they go like ninja stars when worn, never actually seen them worn smooth! But yeah when you zoom in, they’re fine, it’s just grime/rust making them look like that!

Murray

How many speeds? I’d be tempted to chuck a new KMC EPT chain on.

robbo1234biking

What does a £200 service at a bike shop get you these days? Genuine question – that is a decent chunk of money.

richmtb

^^^ You would assume a £200 service involved some new bits, like the chain and cassette.

kayla1
    Free Member

+1 for how many speeds? I’ve got a new KMC X10 here you can have*.

* guilt for taking the pee. See: Nurse, single parent, commutes & shops on it etc…

crazy-legs

My Dad once did the classic “oh my son is a keen cyclist, I’m sure he’d be happy to help with that” to a friend of his and next thing he had me building up some horrific BSO on the living room floor.

His friend had bought it from a catalogue, £79.99 for a pile of heavy pressed steel parts in a cardboard box and when told by the bike shop that it would be £100 to build it had obviously thought “what a rip off”.

Hateful experience.

tjagain

10 speed
    the chain is over 1% on the chainchecker so I doubt a new chain would work

I have no idea what she got for the service.

Edit – she will have done the best part of 1000 miles since on salty roads

tjagain

kayla – no need for the guilt. Its well worth ripping the piss! Thanks tho

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A lighter wallet and not much else by the looks of things, what a urine extracting service!

kcal

damn, I’ll have to put the pitchfork away.
    Well done you. Could you take it up as a part time offering up at the hospital ? 🙂

Once word gets around, you might as well.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’d put a new chain on that.

oldnick

Don’t use coke(acola) to de-rust, I did once and the rust expanded and split numerous side plates.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a bike for a friend of a friend’ is closed to new replies.