Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fixed budget for a TV. Old high end technology vs newer tech?
  • womble72
    Free Member

Morning gang. I’m looking for a decent tv for a PS4 but as its for occasional use my budget is well below £200 (moon on a stick). Was thinking secondhand and fairly new but noticed if I go back a few years there is more choice and some of the stuff for sale was considered high end back in the day. So my question is, has technology advanced so much that a budget but modern 1080p tv will be just as good as a high end 8yr old ‘high end’ TV? Looking for 32″ as my room isn’t massive.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I think you’re overthinking it.

womble72
    Free Member

I think you maybe right

matt_outandabout

We bought a year old 40″ Panasonic HD LCD telly from Gumtree for £100, along with Humax recording digi box thing for £40 from same couple.
    The reason they sold was that their son had persuaded them that a big new telly with shiny new smart features was what they wanted.

It is great.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You don’t need to go back 8 years.
    The tv we got 3 years ago. (1080, 42″) was finally discontinued last year. New it was about 750 euros (top of the line, non-smart model), we got it for 450 (been out for 18 months) the last stock went for 250, ish.
    You can see them on the local equivalent of eBay for well under 150.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You can probably get an HD telly from asda or tescos within budget!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You can probably get an HD telly from asda or tescos within budget!

HD is not a standard that guarantees a minimum level of performance…

You could keep an eye on these to see if it keeps within budget :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Bravia-KDL-46W905A-46-3D-1080p-HD-LED-Smart-TV-/152223097826?hash=item23713423e2:g:PpwAAOSwGtRXxIlV

I have the 40 inch version and, when the settings are right, it has an excellent picture (and I am extrememly picky) and I also think the gaming performance was good.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

In 32″ it’ll barely matter, anything HD/1080 will be good enough for most people.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ this

I have a 10yo 720 HD tv 44″ and its decent enough. FWIW probably 40% of movies we watch on the newer (still 6yo) 1080 54″ tv are in 720 and yes you can tell the difference bs 1080 but it’s more than adequate.

Now for gaming it may be different as rapid movement and especially with smaller items may show up an oldsr tv but if its 1080 and a decent brand you should be fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d avoid anything from Tesco/ASDA that isn’t from a big brand. Anything from Sharp/Sansung/Sony/Panasonic will be much of a muchness unless you read What Hi-Fi.

My parents just bought one of those big/cheap TV’s to replace their ageing Sony 32″, and it’s abysmal, borderline unwatchable.

Saninsbury’s had some big Sharp TV’s for £199 not so long ago.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Anything from Sharp/Sansung/Sony/Panasonic will be much of a muchness unless you read What Hi-Fi.

that’s like, or worse than, saying that any tyre from Maxxis/Continental/Specialized/Schwalbe is much of a muchness…

Edric64
    Free Member

Got an isis 32 inch tv from Argos its fine cost about 150 quid .I would nevder spend loads on a tv and cant see what all the fuss is about

gobuchul
    Free Member
    hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a 42″ Viera Plasma complete with stand but a little over your budget

flyingmonkeycorps

I bought a cheap Samsung 32″ a while back. It was utterly dire. Colours were off, refresh rate wasn’t great (though I expected that) and, worst of all it had chronic ghosting on any kind of fast movement. I took it back and changed it for another one which was exactly the same. So I upgraded to a Panasonic (I think it was about £350) which was worlds apart in performance.

So yeah, there is a difference in 32″ screens.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

that’s like, or worse than, saying that any tyre from Maxxis/Continental/Specialized/Schwalbe is much of a muchness…

Depends, if the question is “I want some tyres, they have to be black, cheap and go round corners acceptably well in normal conditions” then yes, any tyre form those brands will probably do the job. MBUK will give them marks out of 10 in a grouptest, but they’ll all work acceptably well for most people.

Compared to say, the hard plasticy OEM ‘rubber’ that get’s fitted to bikes (the analogy falls down because these also have Conti/Schwalbe/Maxxis on them) which would be the equivalent of the Tesco Technica or Polaroid, or any of those brands.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

cant see what all the fuss is about

clearly.

Got an isis 32 inch tv from Argos its fine cost about 150 quid .I would nevder spend loads on a tv and cant see what all the fuss is about

can you see well enough to proof read what you wrote and notice the font changes as well ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fixed budget for a TV. Old high end technology vs newer tech?’ is closed to new replies.