Fix a credit score issue? Fastest way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fix a credit score issue? Fastest way.
  • 5plusn8

NPower made a mistake on our bill and chased us for a debt that wasn’t ours. When they eventually fixed it we discovered that the wifes credit file has an unpaid bill on it from Npower. It stopped us getting a credit card the other day.
    How can I sort this out as quickly as possible?

P-Jay

There is only 1 quick way to do it. Get NPower to remove the the error from the file.

In fact, the only other way is to wait until it’s 6 years old and is taken off the file.

P-Jay

P.S. if they haven’t admitted it’s a fault or for whatever other reason that’s not possible. Make sure it’s shown as paid and settled and the damage will be limited.

Do buy too much into ‘scores’ they’re made up by credit agencies to up-sell services, but they can give you a broad idea of your creditworthiness.

I will assume the credit card co didn’t give you a reason, but you’re assuming it’s this default marker? It might not be.

I have a 5.5 year old default on my record, a pissing mobile phone contract I forgot about and let a £40 bill go unpaid. It hasn’t stopped me leasing a car or getting a mortgage.

Sort of as pj

Best way is to tell npower kick up a fuss, and make them inform the CRAs of their mistake and have it put right.

Other options that may help…
    Write to the CRAs yourself, include copies of the npower comms ask them to remove the mistake
    Write to the CRAs yourself, ask for a notice of correction to be put on your file, detail the error, proofs available… this then has to be manually reviewed by an underwriter not an automatic computer decision on applications, doesn’t mean they won’t still reject however…

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

It stopped us getting a credit card the other day.

did the credit card co. give that explicitly as the reason?

chewkw

When they eventually fixed it we discovered that the wifes credit file has an unpaid bill on it from Npower.

They have not fixed it then?

How can I sort this out as quickly as possible?

Can you get a solicitor to send them a letter?

If they still refuse to fix it can you take them to court?

IMO why let large organisation get away with their error when ordinary people cannot?

P-Jay

Best way is to tell npower kick up a fuss, and make them inform the CRAs of their mistake and have it put right.

Other options that may help…
    Write to the CRAs yourself, include copies of the npower comms ask them to remove the mistake
    Write to the CRAs yourself, ask for a notice of correction to be put on your file, detail the error, proofs available… this then has to be manually reviewed by an underwriter not an automatic computer decision on applications, doesn’t mean they won’t still reject however…

I wouldn’t argue with that, just in my experience CRAs won’t get involved in disputes as such, you can raise one, but they’ll only go back to the creditor to clarify.

I wouldn’t personally open a NOC (notice of correction) unless it’s dire circumstances. The problem is that 99% of underwriting these days is done via algorithm. Potential creditors are bound to read all NOCs, even if they were going to pass it based on the data. It means every time you need to be checked it gets kicked out for a human to go over it.

It possibly I’m out of date though.

P-Jay

Can you get a solicitor to send them a letter?

If they still refuse to fix it can you take them to court?

IMO why let large organisation get away with their error when ordinary people cannot?

Their ombudsman is probably a quicker, cheaper route to take I’d guess.

After all utilities companies are just billing agents, that’s all they do.

5plusn8

did the credit card co. give that explicitly as the reason?

They said there is a problem on your file – the only bad thing on the file is this.
    Utility co have admitted it is not our fault, we have a letter to that effect.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

They said there is a problem on your file – the only bad thing on the file is this.

only asking because sometimes its not whats there but what isn’t – missing or mismatched addresses and all sorts of other irregularities can be ‘a problem on your file’ but don’t necessarily present themselves when you look at your credit history. Can be a particular problem if you’ve lives  named rather than numbered addresses, flats etc. either presently or in the past.

I had a previous address that was described as ‘0/1’ ‘Ground Left’ and all sorts of other way by various utilities, council tax, electoral roll and so on – it meant that if my application varied from some of that then at data seemed to be absent. I had to get the credit ref agencies to change them all to match one an other and make sure any future application matched that agreed address. At the time I was making those applications I had 4 previous addresses within the 6 year scope of the credit application and they all we’re flats or named houses and all had mismatches that had to be identified and sorted.

But that was detective work I had to do – looking at my file it wasn’t apparent that was the issue and all that was said in any refusal (from phone co’s) was ‘problem on your file’ It all had to be done by checking though old paper correspondence and looking for variances in the addressing of the envelopes as the problem wasn’t apparent logging into the credit ref agencies sites

Never the less the utility need to rectify their error – but they could do that and you might still have the same issue – so check everything!

Pjay, your right about all noc’s needing a review manually, even if it would otherwise auto-passed, it can help in this specific situation, as true can re-apply and get out of the computer says no, we can’t do anything trap, by forcing the app to the referrals team to review.

It’s not a silver built and can come with its own issues… but could potentially resolve this… or not….

Fortunately things sound a bit better than they were a few years ago, when the CRAs would just say, ‘that’s what we’ve been told by x, they need to tell us differently’ they *should now act on being told by the consumer that it’s wrong especially as they have evidence to back this up.

Tbh it’s a bit of a rubbish minefield where npower can say our records are right (they presumably updated theirs) and the cra can say theirs are right until they are told otherwise, now the consumer can in theory at least demand errors correcting and the cra get into trouble if they continue to hold data they have been told is incorrect…

GDPR test case would be needed to really get to the bottom of it, that’s unlikely in this case. But hopefully they’ll be a bit more reactive nowadays

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.