Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Five ten soles on berghaus hiking boots
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Hi there,
    Newby here,
    Does anyone know ( live on the Isle of Man by the way) where in the uk I can either get some five ten soles put on these boots or where I can buy the soles and get them fitted on the island?

I’ve got the flat pedal/ frozen toes/ no thermal flat pedal/ arctic boots for winter, dilemma thing going on .

The boots as they are are lovely and warm but my SSnanotechs just convey my foot forward on each revolution.

P

matther01
    Free Member

Not very helpful…but someone did exactly the same on here last year i think and had a link.

Use the search facility…and if you find it let me know as i may do the same this winter (sorry to lazy to look at the mo!).

Riksbar

Lancashire Sports Repairs are worth a shot.

Tracey

We had ours done here http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/ a few years ago, Still going strong

FOG

I e-mailed them and tried to ring but got no response so put it on the back burner. Feet first in Chesterfield do the same but charge £45 for the job so I too am looking for the Flat pedal/warm feet solution. I thought about buying some cheap Goretex/e-vent boots from somewhere like Sports Direct. The sole might not be ideal but might work out cheaper in the long run.

pipiom
    Free Member

Many thanks guys, I did look at historic posts but no defo uk outlet to get the job done…. Will try feet first ,errr first, keep the ideas coming people please…..

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers Fog….be wary of just using any old goretex boots because the sole tread pattern is the issue ie we don’t want one….. Come on five ten PLEASE make some uk friendly arctic waterproof boots …. “Polar five tan impact boots”
    Sound good????

pipiom
    Free Member

Phoned feetfirst.resoles.co.uk and they said to send the boots to them for five ten sole to be fitted. Price TBA £30 ish ( sole only, fine by me)apparently + pp. sounds good, I’ll report when I get the boots back and I know exact price.

johnellison
    Free Member

I had some old Airwalk skate shoes done at Feet First a couple of years ago, cost £39 including return postage. Still going strong and they stick like the proverbial to a blanket.

jwt
    Free Member

Had some Vans resoled by Feet first about six years ago, soles are looking a bit worn but the uppers are trashed, so I’d say good value and more durable than the shoe! If I could justify the expense I’d go for Vans Gravels, but then I wear skate style shoes year round.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Feet first is on my radar too, I went in and discussed possibilities. Nice chap, small friendly type company.

torquil
    Free Member

Hi pipiom

I can do them, well if I hadn’t crashed at Antur Stiniog and broken my ankle I could !!!! I should be healed enough to work in a couple of weeks.

I run Llanberis Resoles in North Wales and I resole MTB and climbing shoes.

http://www.llanberisresoles.com
    http://www.llanberisresoles.com/pages/dotty.html

but it does depend a bit on the boot – not all walking boots will take a sheet rubber sole, I put dotty rubber on plenty of skate shoes and climbers approach shoes which are generally simple, but if the walking boot looks like it has a moulded sole unit that comes up and around the boot then they may not be do-able, if it a separate rubber sole on top of a foam midsole that could be peeled off them they are ok.

I charge £35 + postage (or drop off in Llanberis) I believe Lancashire are £40 and I thought FeetFirst were £45

Do email/ring me if you need more info. Details on the website.

Torquil

core

I’ve just got some cheap airwalks (£20) for use with flat pedals, but wandering how good they’ll be when I need to get off/push, what does the ‘dotty rubber’ grip like off bike?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Come on five ten PLEASE make some uk friendly arctic waterproof boots

Impacts are pants in the winter. Skate shoes no better. Can you imagine how fast a winterised 5.10 would sell-out in the UK? I cannot fathom why they don’t make one given how many other shoe types they make. It’s not like the UK is the only cold-wet place in the world where people want to use flat pedals.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

I would think they do not make them as no one else seems to. If they are not losing market share to a competitor there seems to be no need to spend thousands of dollars on R&D and tooling. I would also hazard a guess that there’s a relatively small proportion of riders Globally that need/want such a product.

johnellison
    Free Member

I’ve just got some cheap airwalks (£20) for use with flat pedals, but wandering how good they’ll be when I need to get off/push, what does the ‘dotty rubber’ grip like off bike?

Airwalks are cheap for a reason and one of those reasons is the fact that the standard sole is about as grippy as a freshly buttered weasel.

Bolt some Stealth Dotty on and you won’t know what’s hit you, it’s unbeleivable. It’s the same type of rubber used on proper climbing boots and slippers. As has already been said, it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Hydrophobic foam is used throughout the shoe to improve drying properties

A good start.

“I would also hazard a guess that there’s a relatively small proportion of riders Globally that need/want such a product.”

yeah it’s just us handful of freaks still using flatties 😉

scruff
    Free Member

I would hazard a guess that Winter flat pedal shoes are less niche than chainsaw specific ones.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

100’s of 1000’s of flat pedal users Worldwide for sure but how many of them want a UK specific, Arctic proof sticky cycling boot/shoe for riding bikes in pig awful weather 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

how many of them want a … sticky cycling boot/shoe for riding bikes in pig awful weather

Frankly, anyone not living in a dry climate e.g. all northern Europe countries, northern US states, Canada, new Zealand, far-eastern countries. Anywhere but the Med, Australia and California 😉

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve gone for feet first £30. + pp the soles are injected moulded ie solid….. They are happy to take them on and just do the soles not heels etc ( no need)…… If it all works out I’ll have an arctic/ goretex/ waterproof / flat pedal boot …. hmmm if it all works out…. watch this space … Cheers for input/ humour

torquil
    Free Member

As for airwalks with dotty soles – thats what I ride with, currently on their third sole and the uppers are getting pretty shot but they have been amazing, all for £18 (ok the soles are free for me but you get the idea).

Dotty rubber off the bike is excellent on rock, not so hot on wet grass – but thats the same for any of the original soles on a 5.10 shoe or similar.

£30 from FF is a good deal, I’d charge less if you only wanted the halfsole too, the rubber is the main cost with MTB shoes, its crazily expensive even at trade.

I’d be interested to see a shot of the results though and how you feel they ride afterwards. I’d think most walking boots would have soles that are too thick – I’ve thinned down the EVA midsole and then changed the rubber on a GTX non-bike shoe to turn it into a winter MTB shoe before, that can work well on the right shoe.

https://www.facebook.com/LlanberisResoles
    http://www.llanberisresoles.com

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Not read all the posts, but I had my impacts resold by these guys Link, might be worth a try.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m not sure what’s wrong with the Five Ten hive mind on this one. The requirements are obvious – just get a proper breathable waterproof upper (such as Goretex) with a proper gusseted tongue (most water gets in when you splash through a puddle and throw the water over the laces area, or if you have to step-off /fall off into a puddle)
    Then add a stealth rubber sole that has nobby bits on the tip of the toe and on the heel (so you can push up muddy slopes with it). Sure, they’d come out at about £150, but everyone here would buy them. And their prices creep up each year anyway! And even though they keep making their new shoes in retina burning, vomit inducing disco colours, as long as there is a black/ grey version, it would be fine. There’s a ‘winterised’ Freerider VXI coming out, but what they really need is a five-ten version of this:
    Hi Tec Sierra Lite
    I’ve got the boot version and it’s awesome, but the Vibram sole is just under par for proper MTB use.

pipiom
    Free Member

Got my Berghaus + five ten soles back from feet first … They look awesome .. Only time will tell… Roll on winter… NOT!!!… how do I put pics on here guys??

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

You can upload them to Flickr or some other pic hosting website, then add the picture’s URL using the IMG button on the ‘Reply’ box.
    I’d be very interested to see those…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Please post pic and tell us what they are like

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go, not too clever on the techy stuff but I’ll try

pipiom
    Free Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101274024@N03/?saved=1 Well, joined the flickrmebob thing and uploaded my photo, I think !!!!! Please have a look if it works or let me know if it doesn’t . Incidentally I tried them out last night just a little pre ride warm up and they felt “the dogs”

Phil

winch
    Free Member

Doesn’t work, yet. I think you need to set the permissions so anyone can view it, not just friends on flickr.

pipiom
    Free Member

Ok I’ll try now

pipiom
    Free Member

Try that

creamegg
    Free Member

Come on five ten PLEASE make some uk friendly arctic waterproof boots ….

stuff 5:10, id rather have something like a Northwave Celsius with a flat pedal friendly sole. I’ve got some 5:10’s now and even though I love the grip, they’re heavy and clunky and useless for winter.

I may have to consider SPD’s for winter which I don’t really want

pipiom
    Free Member

Don’t know if you misread the thread but these are Berghaus walking boots that have had a five ten sticky sole put on by ” feet first” They are super warm/waterproof and light.

RustySpanner

What a great idea.

Cheers, might just do the same myself.
    They’ll look great with biblongs 🙂

creamegg
    Free Member

Don’t know if you misread the thread but these are Berghaus walking boots that have had a five ten sticky sole put on by ” feet first”

If your replying to my comment then I fully understood you and my comment was directed to the comment quoted in my post.

I may consider doing something similar if I cant find what I want off the shelf

winch
    Free Member

They look great! Thanks for taking the time to put the photo up. Let us know how you get on with them…

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Fantastic. I had the same idea but got the impression they wouldn’t be able to fit them to a complicated sole pattern. I assume they just belt-sanded them down though.
    Great work – yes thanks for sharing and give us a ride report after a month or so 🙂

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

I imagine Feet First will get a small flurry or work off the back of this…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Five ten soles on berghaus hiking boots’ is closed to new replies.