Five Ten or Shimano AM41?

Home Forum Bike Forum Five Ten or Shimano AM41?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Five Ten or Shimano AM41?
  • sykik

So, My g/f is looking to get me some biking shoes for xmas but with the many variations of Five Ten (i’m lost with them all!) and the practical looking Shimano AM41 I am wondering what are the pro’s and con’s STW’ers have experienced between them all. I have found some comparisons around the net but they aren’t really that up to date.

Help would be much appreciated 🙂

Forgot to add, i’ll be using them with flats with long pins

hugh_b

i’d just go for five tens and be done with . They last a long time and have the best grip out of any flat shoe. They cost a little more but i think they’re worth it!

mulv1976

Five tens

sykik

Sounds fairly unanimous so far, cheers.

The 5:10 Impact 2 have caught my eye so far…

mulv1976

Sounds fairly unanimous so far, cheers.
    The 5:10 Impact 2 have caught my eye so far…

That’s what I’ve got with some nanos. The grip is amazing but they aren’t great if they get wet – they take ages to dry

sykik

Thanks mulv, are they any good at keeping dry and warm on the trails?

Also what are sizing like? I’m a UK size 12 so i’m thinking a European 46.5 should be ok (CRC don’t do UK sizing)

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I can’t compare with AM41s, but I’ve got a couple of pairs of the old AM40 and they’re a better made shoe than my assorted Five Tens (Impact, Freerider and Basic) and longer lasting. But not quite as grippy.

mulv1976

They aren’t too bad on the trails but I tend to wear sealskins in the winter to keep my feet warm and dry. The sizing is pretty spot on too (although I went half a size bigger so I could wear thicker socks in the winter)

gaz552

By all accounts the AM41’s are good in poor conditions/rain. I know my Five Ten’s wouldn’t be much use in rain due to the venting, but their grip is superb though.

I’ve actually been considering some kind of water proof hiking/mountain bike boot but haven’t really found anything yet. (a bit off topic there)

sykik

Thanks Northwind. I’m thinking the extra grip of the Five Tens will win me over in the end, I have knee issues so a firmly planted foot on the pedal is vital for me.

stevede

I reckon the new 5.10 freerider elements tick the most boxes, more weatherproof than the normal ones but the same great level of grip. I have some tevas which are great for drying out but the grip is lacking compared to 5.10’s. My next pair of flats will be the freerider elements when my current freeriders give up.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

sykik – Member

Thanks Northwind. I’m thinking the extra grip of the Five Tens will win me over in the end, I have knee issues so a firmly planted foot on the pedal is vital for me.

Definitely a ymmv thing but I find just about any flat shoe has enough grip- basically, they grip if you get your footwork right and they come off if you get it sufficiently wrong. I do appreciate my five tens when I’m tired and screwing up, though.

sykik

That is pretty much what I was thinking of doing Mulv, glad the sizing is fairly spot on. I have no way of trying before buying round here so it was going to be a guess in regards to sizing.

Very much appreciate your help everyone, i’m pretty much sold on the Five Ten Impact 2 and some decent water resistant socks now 😀

Superficial

For weatherproofing, the Shimano ones are alright but not brilliant, they still end up cold and soggy if you’re out for any length of time in wet conditions. My old AM40s (different design) fell apart too easily but every other pair of Shimano shoes I’ve owned (5+) have lasted well.

I’d still probably go FiveTen if I was buying again though.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I think when people say the AM41s are good in rain, what they really mean is they’re not terrible like Impacts. Compared to a proper wet weather shoe they still kinda suck.

Sadly the Sombrio X-Shazam is discontinued- best winter flat shoe I’ve worn, by a country mile, I’d buy another pair if I could.

I got some Teva Links Mid recently, prefer a boot to a shoe for extra ankle support, and I’m impressed with them, usually use 5:10s but wanted something a bit more weatherproof for the winter, find a grip on par with 5:10s and they keep my feet warm too – brisk cold wind up on the south downs yesterday. Not tried them in constant rain yet but they are supposed to have some kind of technology that prevents water being absorbed and waterproof materials throughout(according to the website). Not as wide as 5:10s so might want a size up if you have wide feet
    half price at je james too!

danielgroves

Personally, these by winter: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mw81-gore-tex-winter-spd-boots-2014/rp-prod66829

Nothing beats riding with warm and dry feet. Now I just need to find a way to stop my ears freezing up.

And a set of these by the summer: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/five-ten-maltese-falcon-spd-freeride-shoes/rp-prod63972

Both are absolutely fantastic, and both have great build quality. I have narrow feet, so I needed to stick an extra inner sole in each of them. I just stuck a cheap on underneath the decent shaped quality ones they come with.

Premier Icon downhilldave
    Subscriber

Have tried Five Ten karver,fell in bits after a year and hopeless/heavy when wet take forever to dry. Am 41’s not enough grip for my liking. Teva link mids not bad grip,dry quicker but are a pain to clean.Five Ten freeriders which I use as a summer shoe,brilliant.And lastly Five Ten freeride elements Vx1 which are the best flat pedal shoes I have tried.Brilliant grip,comfy,dry VERY quickly and just wipe down with a wet cloth.For my two night rides and a Saturday blast they are perfect

pipiom

Much more grip on the 5:10’s……I’ve got both and bought them at same time….. Impacts still good Shimanos are shot …..have a look at the latest waterproof ( ish) all weather 5;10’s might be better for winter and impacts end up like sog monsters in the wet ( still grip though)

Premier Icon chrisdw
    Subscriber

Another vote for impacts. I used to stick mine in font of the aga to dry them overnight.

Don’t use them anymore since going SPD. But they are much warmer than my M162 shoes.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

I don’t think MW81s are going to be very good on flat pedals 🙂

danielgroves

I don’t think MW81s are going to be very good on flat pedals

Shhh! I noticed all the others were for flats… 😳

mikey74

If only they’d released the Freerider Elements with a laces cover, like the Karvers. It seems a rather glaring omission to me.

r17anm

I find my five ten freeriders to be a bit too grippy at times making it tricky to get my feet in a good position
    Just before descending. I like vans waffle sole and similar cos the pins sit in the grip pattern but dont stick when i lift my feet to adjust position

bowie278

AM41 user myself and I really like them. The lace flap is a great idea and keeps water and dirt out of laces etc. Not gonna lie, I do want to try 5.10’s though, and I’m pretty sure they’ll be my next shoe.

glasgowdan

Freerider elements here. Superb. Worked out at £68 from crc. Low profile uppers that don’t hold water and the usual 510 grip. Ace shoes.

amphibian

Another recommendation for 5.10 Freerider Elements here. I’ve only worn them for three wet rides but so far they’ve been very grippy, waterproof,quick drying, easy to clean and tough. Only downside is the lack of grip when pushing up muddy banks etc. but it’s a price I’m happy to pay. Had some AM40s before which fell apart prematurely and took an age to dry.

rob jackson

5:10 basics and bbb heavy duty over shoes here in the worst weather, i look like a knob but thats nothing to do with the shoe/over shoe!

Premier Icon sprocker
    Subscriber

I have had both the am41 ‘a are lighter a bit drier but do not grip as well . They have both lasted about 6 months, the shimano s are ready for the bin now and I am going for 5 :10 s next

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Five Ten or Shimano AM41?’ is closed to new replies.