Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • fitwhywagaan
  • Premier Icon notlocal
    Free Member

(Rant)Took a moment to decipher this after hearing it screeched at a gaggle of urchins in Aberdeen.
    Broken down, fit why wa gaan, it actually asks which way are we going?
    I love regional accents and what they represent, but hate lazy speech perpetrated to fit into a social group.(rant)

Premier Icon bigyinn
    Free Member

It always makes me laugh when people type in regional accents i.e. phonetically. Why would you do that?

Premier Icon notlocal
    Free Member

Because I had to break it down phonetically to understand it, and have no concept of how it should be spelled correctly. If you can spell poor speech correctly.

Premier Icon bigyinn
    Free Member

That wasnt a dig at you notlocal. More a dig at people who type in their accent. Some scots on FB seem to be quite keen on it, even though I think it sounds moronic.

Premier Icon user-removed
    Free Member

That’s a dialect. Perfectly acceptable. My speech and language therapist wife doesn’t correct dialects or colloquialisms. Furry boots ye gan? is also good.

Premier Icon user-removed
    Free Member

Ye snobby ****.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Jai.

For the Glaswegians only.

Premier Icon whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m disappointed, thought this was going to be a thread about a Doric/Jamaican patois cross over.

I love regional accents and what they represent, but hate lazy speech perpetrated to fit into a social group.(rant)

As has been pointed out, that’s not ‘lazy speech to fit into a social group’ but the Doric dialect spoken by not just the loons and quins of Aberdeen but an awful lot of people in the North East.

Premier Icon rene59
    Free Member

Bet you never had the balls to tell them what you thought though!

Premier Icon bigyinn
    Free Member

Speaking it is fine, it just comes across as weird when its typed phonetically.

Premier Icon wwaswas

Jai.

that was the name of the boy in 1970’s Tarzan on the TV wasn’t it?

Premier Icon robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Except the OPs attempt is only a phonetic representation of the sound if you don’t have a scottish accent, we pronounce the W and H in why, the sound of “way” in Dorric is a lot closer to just “y”

Premier Icon nbt
    Free Member

Doric is bloody difficult to understand

Aberdeen at its best

Posted by Cabrach Radio on Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Premier Icon robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Doric is bloody difficult to understand

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=588356164589181&fref=nf
    The raffle prizes 😀
    “…twa neeps, and haulf a rubbit”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘fitwhywagaan’ is closed to new replies.