Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fitting X9 T2 RM, what am I doing wrong?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

My Whyte came with an X9 Type 2 rear mech – when I bought it I asked the shop to fit an XT, I now want to fit the X9 back on. It’s as new, the shop supplied it in a box when I picked up the bike.

When I bolt it on to the hanger, the cage barely moves under finger pressure (no cable installed). It doesn’t swing down to any degree, it just moves a bit inwards, a bit down then strikes the cassette and stops.

It goes nowhere near to opening as much as the pic here http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-x9-type-2-rear-derailleur

Even off the bike, cage movement is very restricted. Surely the cage is supposed to be able to swing way down (as if taking up chain slack) without moving in.

What am I doing wrong? I don’t see how the RM can work like this.

Ta.

(I’ve built bikes before, I’m well aware of limit screws and the B screw – I’m sure that’s not the problem).

STATO
    Free Member

Ignoring the fact that SRAM will require a different shifter (you realise that right?) have a look again at the SRAM website, and click the link to learn about type2. Its a clutch so wont move (easily), as you describe.

mattjg
    Free Member

(yeah I know “take it to the shop”, taking it to the shop is a PITA, last time they said they had a waiting list of 9 days, I want to figure it out and DIM).

mattjg
    Free Member

yup I have shifters ta

ok I look …

so you’re saying gemmy a chain in there, get the cable and shifter set up and all will come magically good?

mattjg
    Free Member

update: chain gemmied in, looks like it might work, the mech has sorted itself out.that’s either odd or clever or maybe both.

dibboid
    Free Member

I thought the same when I took my x9 t2 out the box and was to scared of forcing it as I seen plenty of pics of broken s+ mechs and didn’t fancy breaking my new kit. But by pure witchcraft and trickery…. boom it worked. 😈

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fitting X9 T2 RM, what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.