Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fitting VW Passat Towbar
  • Divid
    Free Member

Hi

After some advice.

Looking to get towbar for towing dinghy and bike rack.

Is it worth trying to fit myself or get someone to do it?

Any idea of costs

Based in Southampton

Thanks

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Depends how it attaches. Our Vw van was 4 bolts and the temp removal if the spare wheel. Cars appear to have bumpers to be removed even some need the fuel tank dropping before drilling the boot floor. Kinda put md off doing my car – did the van though.

lalazar
    Free Member

Which Passat do you have ?

br
    Free Member

The electrics will be the thing that ‘decides’ whether you DIY or pay to have it fitted.

Divid
    Free Member

Is 2006 Diesel Estate

Suggsey
    Free Member

For a kit about £250 but I know on the earlier estates you were supposed to buy a replacement bump bar (behind the plastic bumper) as the original will foul most designs of towbar. I believe all the mount nuts are already in place and holes pre made. It was the extra £90 for the replacement bump bar that put me off total cost. I read that doing it without is okay until of course someone arse ends you overrides the tow bar and totally writes off the car in a slow speed impact. That big bars there for a reason is all I would say.
    Try Towequipe for an online quote.

lalazar
    Free Member

I have the version before yours and it was prett straight forward.
    Loosen a couple of screws rear bumper slides off . Remove the rear crash beam that sits under the bumper by removing four bolts in the boot floor. This slides out and the tow bar assembly slides into it’s place, tighten up with supplied bolts and replace bumper. Electrics were done by my mate but were pretty straight forward.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fitting VW Passat Towbar’ is closed to new replies.