Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Fitting Uberbike GXP BB with 68mm road double… huh?
  • Bez

All I wanted was a bit of purple 🙂

Right. Uberbike stainless GXP BB. Comes with 3x 2.5mm cup spacers and 1x 5mm axle spacer, plus some confusing instructions.

Confusing because they say that to fit it to a 68mm shell with a road double (Rival OCT in my case, if it matters) you’re supposed to use 1×2.5mm spacer, 1x 1mm spacer, and 1x 2mm O-ring.

Thing is, only one of those is in the packaging with the BB. And I’m a bit puzzled by the use of an O-ring, to be honest.

Anyone fitted one of these before? Should I have the additional bits in the box, or am I just getting the wrong end of a stick?

(And yes, I know I should ask Uberbike, but it’s the weekend and if I can fit it before they go back to work then great.)

Cheers

coatesy
    Free Member

GXP cranks are located by the non-drive side cup only, the axle floats in the drive side, usually with a gap to that crank, so drive side spacing isn’t that crucial to the system’s operation (not withstanding crushing of the central sleeve because of too few spacers, or crushing the bearings by having too many). O-rings, if I remember correctly, don’t do much more than fill up a gap, and prevent the inevitable “Why have I got axle showing?” questions.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Depending on the design of seal, an O-ring/wavy washer may be needed on the drive side to keep the external seal in place. It isn’t clear from the web page picture what sort of seal it is.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Fitting Uberbike GXP BB with 68mm road double… huh?’ is closed to new replies.