Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fitting suspension forks to my Singular Swift (questions)
  • tallsam
    Free Member

Hi,

Just got a Surly Ogre so I’m sorted for a steel rigid frameset. Don’t really want to sell my Swift so thinking of putting suspension forks on the front to make it a bit comfier (can’t get much fatter tyres on there) and more suitable (than the Ogre) for a fairly bumpy ride I often take near my new house.

My question is what a2c fork do I need?

Swift forks are 470mm. Should I just get a sus fork with the same a2c? Or does fork travel come into it?

Also I need a straight steerer (pretty long too) which is a pain in the bum. Looking at some second hand options or the Manitou Markhor but that comes in 3 different a2cs: 490, 510, 530. Which do I get?

I appreciate this is the cheaper end of the market but hoping it’d be a bit better than the plethora of heavy cheap Suntour or Chinese fork options.

Also been offered a x-fusion rl2 but don’t yet know the a2c. Also I suspect the steerer is a bit short. And it needs servicing.

Apologies I’m fairly clueless about suspension, all but one of my bikes have been rigid.

I’ve also been looking at building a fat front end. Can find forks pretty cheap but the rim and tyre cost is putting me off. Especially as I think it’ll look a bit rubbish. But the lack of maintenance is a major plus to me.

honourablegeorge

Same A2C roughly, but forks will sag (compress) when you sit on them, typically about 25-30% of their travel, so that A2C measurement will shorten a bit.

I’d say somewhere around 500 A2C for an 80-100mm travel fork will suit you.

This RockShox Reba 29, for example, is 506mm A2C which is in the right ballpark – 25% sag of 100mm travel would bring that down to 481mm, 30% to 476.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/RockShox/Reba-RL-Solo-Air-Boost-29-Suspension-Fork-2019-Model-p63644/

PJay
    Free Member

There’s some info. on the Singular Cycles FAQ page and it looks like you’ll be after an 80mm or 100mm fork (if you can find one with a straight steerer) but why not drop Sam an email (recently I’ve been getting replies in 5-10 minutes!)?

tallsam
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I’ll drop Sam and email.

tallsam
    Free Member

Although now I really want to build the fat front end. No matter how bad it looks.

kaiser
    Free Member

If you do want a fat front end I have a salsa enabler fork ( straight steerer ) with a fat wheel + tyre ( surly large marge rim with cutouts ( original factory special i think ..not DIY ) . Possibly a choice of 4″ tyres. Been saving for a project but may sell if the price is right ! You can PM me if interested. Funnily enough I have an Ogre too and did have a swift. Just love steel 29ers rigid with a fat front end , the lack of dive + comfort and the simplicity .OK fast bumpy stuff shakes you about but I’m a bimbler/explorer these days and actually prefer the climbs!
    mail in profile.
    cheers
    Bill in exeter

kaiser
    Free Member

BTW ..I fitted a RS Reba to the Ogre and soon took it off ..much preferred rigid . The original fork was far to stiff IME . I swopped it for an exotic carbon + fatter tyre which worked much better comfort wise . Due to advancing years comfort is a priority these days !

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I fitted suspension fork to a Swift, but prefered it rigid.

tallsam
    Free Member

Thanks Bill, I suspect that’ll be too expensive for me though.

Current plan is this fork:
    https://www.cnc-bike.de/product_info.php?cPath=50_44_1170&products_id=14534

and then a wheel as cheap as possible.

kaiser
    Free Member

that fork looks interesting and a very good price! wonder what the offset is as few details?

rob1963
    Free Member

Def leave the std steel in place, the frame was designed that way and works perfectly.
    It will still take quite a large volume tyre up front.
    If it is fat you want, why not put a puffin fork in there ?

epicyclo

Skankin-giant

I fitted suspension fork to a Swift, but prefered it rigid.

Same here. Bought an expensive fork. Had it on for a week, and took it off, never to be refitted.

I suggest trying to borrow a fork first to make sure you like it.

tallsam
    Free Member

I’ve just bought an on-one fatty fork very cheaply. Has the same a2c as the puffin fork. I’ll try that.

Thanks.

Cheezpleez

I’ve had a Krampus cork and 29+ wheel/tyre on my Swift for two or three years now. It gets used almost exclusively for bikepacking and I love it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fitting suspension forks to my Singular Swift (questions)’ is closed to new replies.