Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fitting some dual air revelation race u turns tomorrow, some advice please….
  • granny_ring

I’m going to try and download a manual also but any advice with set up would be welcome.

When setting them up should I release the air from the -ive first then top up the +ive and then the same amount in the -ive?

Also any idea of ball park poundage in forks for 13 stones?

TIA

c9tln
    Free Member

i wouldn’t read too much into the settings on the fork leg,mine varies massively between forks,i normally run 10psi more in neg but it’s all down to personal preference,and yes it’s fill pos then neg.

audiophile
    Free Member

The rockshox pressures stated on the fork sticker are generally way too low, as a rough guide move up to the lower end of the next catagory up as a starting point. If you run more negative pressure you will lose a lot of travel. I run about 10 psi more in positve chamber as it helps reduce bob when standing and mashing. The manual states that the pressure difference between the chambers should not exceed 15 psi.

bri-72

I just got the same fork off Merlin recently. I find the reverse, I’m 14 stone and found the recommended settings way to high. Ended up running 20 PSI lower, with same in +ive and -ve chambers.

MrGreedy

I found the RS suggested pressures about right, but obviously it depends on the kind of riding you’re doing. As above though, an extra 10psi in the negative was noticeably plusher.

Edit: I have the lockout version so not too worried about bob when standing, but audiophile’s suggestion is sensible if that’s an issue

c9tln
    Free Member

my revs are the same,need to set my pressures miles lower,my rebas are pretty accurate to what’s recommended on leg though.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The rockshox pressures stated on the fork sticker are generally way too low,

In the traditional stw spirit of disagreement all my forks suggest way too high pressures. I’m between 12-13 stone depending on previous laziness and gear carried in a pack. I always use same pressure or slightly higher in the neg.

granny_ring

Thanks folks, didn’t know there was a settings sticker on the fork leg as forks are still in the box.

Mine are from Merlin and have the pop lock. Not used rockshox for ages, does the pop lock just lock out the forks or does it also lower the forks for steep climbs etc?

c9tln
    Free Member

the poplock just locks them out,when it decides to work properly.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So in summary the Rock Shox pressure guide sticker is either too low, too high, or just right then?
    Welcome to STW 🙄

bigjim

I have 08 revs and the pressures on the leg are way too high and I use lower. Bear in mind having more -ve pressure than +ve could effectively result in a loss of travel as the fork is already exerting more pressure against itself to start with, never mind with yo fat ass on it too. Also I would suggest putting the right amount of lube in the lowers from the start – in my experience RS don’t!

granny_ring

lol @ bigyinn, well it’s always useful to get feedback even if it does confuse me 🙂

I’ll start with the recommended pressures and go from there. Wont be able to check the oil levels though.

Would it be worth using fork juice on the stantions to help with breaking them in?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

So in summary the Rock Shox pressure guide sticker is either too low, too high, or just right then?

my theory is some oil occasionaly leaks out of the valves into the shock pumps, meaning they are all completely inaccurate.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Surely the pressure will be different for any given weight depending on stem length, tt length, and seat position

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The pressures shown on the fork leg are definitely too high. Everyone except audiophile agrees, and its been the same comment on other threads. Too much negative pulls the fork down slightly – run around 7-8psi more -ve than +ve and probably lose 2-3mm of travel, so insignificant. Well worth the better small bump sensitivity

I would suggest setting your +ve to the next weight down from what the fork says and -ve to the same. Then play around with the +ve to give you about 25% sag when seated or in the attack position. Then empty the -ve chamber and set it to about 5 psi greater than the +ve as a start point.

granny_ring

Ok thanks again, forks now on the bike just got to sort brake out now.

granny_ring

Hey ho, just found out you cant use shimano 180 post 2 post adapters for stroker trails….. 🙄

thejesmonddingo

Although this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=183213 sets off with Rebas,the advice given about settings ia true for Revs too.I’ve followed Kapusta’s advice,I’m currently running 100/95 and I weigh 200lbs all in.
    Ian

granny_ring

Can anyone point me to where the tuning manual for the revelations is please, if there is one, I couldn’t find it.

Also instructions on how to fit the pop lock too would be useful cheers

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

By the time the OP has finished reading this thread he could have set them up the old fashioned way…

BTW – which poploc do those Merlin forks come with, the cheap looking plastic one or silver metal lock?

granny_ring

Mine came with the cheap plastic one. Had a short road ride the this arvo and they felt quite plush but would like to get the lockout working!

Will take a few rides to work out what pressures I reckon.

Only used coil forks before so all this faffing is new to me 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Setup as it said on the leg and couldn’t move them about 20 below. More Pos (then it will move to the negative and let some out of there and put it back in the top and repeat)

granny_ring

If anyone could help my non mechanical brain out with fitting the pop lock it would be much appreciated.

catfood
    Free Member

Just to repeat I found the recommended pressures too high, I run about 15% less than rockshox recommends. As for adding a bit of pressure in the neg to improve small bump sensitivity PPs guide recommends the opposite as he reckons it stops the fork spiking as much, so more confusion then. I generally run em about the same in each chamber but I wouldnt know if they were set up well or not, pretty much like everyone else I suspect.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fitting some dual air revelation race u turns tomorrow, some advice please….’ is closed to new replies.