Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fitting headsets for beginners
  • mattyfez

Have a zs44 frame, straight steerer fork.. buy a tool and learn or take it to the bike shop which will involve awkward logistics?

What would STW do?

legend
    Free Member

Mallet and a couple of pieces of wood

orangeboy
    Free Member

Bench vice and wood used as a press

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Removal, long builders bodging screwdriver and claw hammer. Refitting nice flat piece of wood grease and claw hammer. I only work on my own bikes and I’m a tight ****.

Northwind

Can you mechanic at all? If so, it’s pretty easy. I have the “proper” tool but I don’t use it any more, rubber mallet ftw.

dhrider
    Free Member

Personally I bought the tool and pressed it in myself. Just triple check the cup is straight then press it in nice and slow – it is very simple.

I have now used the tool a few times so it has paid for itself.

Removal is also easy, especially if you don’t need the old cups. Screwdriver and a hammer then hit it out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With the tool it’s easy. For a one off (if it’s a decent headset it should be infrequent) then a lbs is easiest done the hammer and wood efforts it just didn’t seem right….

andy4d

I was surprised how easily my last headset went in. A bit of grease on the headset then pressed in using my homemade press (about a fiver for the length of threaded bar a few nuts and washers, topped of with a couple of wooden offcuts) and a final wee tap with a rubber mallet just to be sure. Just make sure it goes in straight.

llama

Just make sure you put the right cup in the right end

psycorp
    Free Member

Threaded rod, nuts, washers, couple of bits of wood and 2 spanners. Job jobbed.

mattyfez

I’m pretty machanicaly able, I can fit springs and shocks on a car for example.

The whole headset thing just seems like a bit of a dark art.

egb81
    Free Member

Either the bit of wood and a mallet option or homemade, threaded rod, washers and wood press. Both cheap and effective.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said

I use the hammer method as its quicker than the threaded bar method

scotroutes

Chuck the headset cups into the freezer overnight before fitting too.

PJay
    Free Member

Cyclus and X-Tools do some very affordable headset presses (although you do need to be careful that you get the right size). I’ve progressed from taking bikes into the LBS to fix punctures (years ago) to building up my own bikes and it’s really rewarding.

Pressing headsets isn’t hard but for my piece of mind I’d rather use the proper tool.

big_scot_nanny

have a home made press that kinda works, but ultimately rubber mallet and bits of wood have been faster, easier and 100% successful (the 2 times in the last 10yrs I have done it)

submarined
    Free Member

For removal, Get an old bit of largeish copper pipe (22mm works OK, larger the better), cut a slit down it lengthways for about 8 inches, then tease it apart. pop in headtube, apply hammer. Tada, budget removal tool.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fitting headsets for beginners’ is closed to new replies.