Fitting dual ply tyres – arrrgh

Home Forum Bike Forum Fitting dual ply tyres – arrrgh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fitting dual ply tyres – arrrgh
  • cultsdave

What rims? If Flows put the tyre on with an inner tube first. This gets the bead sat on properly. Then take off one side only and try again. My minion went up no bother tubeless but the der barron is a bit slacker and more of a pain in the arse. Remember to remove the valve core as it helps increase air flow to get the tyre bead sat on properly.

metal tyre levers, elbow grease and maybe marked rims as a result. Be careful with the tube if you are using them.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Am I right that you’re struggling to get them on the rim, rather than tubelessing?

TBH there’s no great art to it, you just need to make sure the edge of the tyre is down in the well of the rim… That creates the slack you need to get the last bit on. If the bit that’s already on the rim is riding up onto the bead/edge of the rim then you’ll never get the other side on as there’s just not enough slack (this is basically the same for all tyres but dualplies being stiffer have less margin for error)

Conti Der sidewalls are very stiff but without being a knob, mine and my maxxis dualplies all go on and off easily enough- standard xc levers etc. On 721s, 540s, Flows and Flow Exes at various times and very occasionally on a Roval Traversee xc rim, which is a bit more of a fight!

deviant

When i was doing Mini-DH and Gravity Enduro i used dual ply Maxxis and found the Ice-Tools metal tyre lever perfect for the job….it looks like a beefed up flat head screw driver and will mark the rims….but we’re mountain bikers and dont worry about such trivial things do we?!

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

as northwind said are you trying to fit or mount tubeless?

fitting it’s mostly about technique, mount 1/2 to 3/4 of the tyre, hold the unmounted section against your stomach grab the tyre at the far end with both hands and work your hands around the tyre pulling as you go to try to create more slack to enable you to pop the tyre on. Levers as a last resort.

bit tricky to explain
    oh and I tried dt 5.1 with DT plastic rim strip + minion dual ply only combo I never got it fitted.

miguelito

Hi all – any tips for fitting a dual play tyre??? After failing to fit a minion and der baron last night am out of ideas. Have tried using washing up liquid on the beads. Thanks

globalti

TALC! The best natural dry lubricant for rubber known to Man.

miguelito

Hi – trying to mount with tubes onto roval traverse 28mm rims

Thanks the tips – will have another go later.

Think normal tyres have a bit more room for error and the deficiencies in my technique are being shown up by the dual plys!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fitting dual ply tyres – arrrgh’ is closed to new replies.