Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fitting 650b wheels
  • geologist
    Free Member

Anyone know if a Blue Pig with 140mm Revs will take 650b wheels? I think it should still have a decent amount of clearance.

Cheers

matt1986
    Free Member

Not sure the rock shox forks will take 650b I know you can just about do it with some fox forks

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

650b nerds

The above may be able to help, I didn’t look through it for your setup but you may find something,

You’ll probally be ok around 2-2.1″ tyres but any more and it’ll clog up.

geologist
    Free Member

cheers guys, I may ask my good lady for a set of new wheels for xmas, and someone mentioned this idea to me. I though it sounded worth pursuing.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d make sure you can source tyres you want relatively easily first. Friend of mine has a 650b race bike and the choice of 650b tyres was laughable, sorry ‘limited’, though it may be better now a couple of years down the line.

And bear in mind that big tyres on 26″ wheels, the Pig’ll take 2.5s or so, are going to be as big as 650bs with smaller tyres – clearly though, what you need is a 650niner – everything else is so passe…

b45her
    Free Member

if i remember correctly ONLY 2010 revelations with 20mm axles will clear 650b wheels tyres. theres a big thread about it in the 650b bit of the MTBR forum.

matt1986
    Free Member

Tyre choice should be getting better in the new year onza are bring some 650b out and crc seem to be stocking a few now as well

tollah
    Free Member

Running a 26inch wheeled bike with 650bs isn’t a great idea. The bb is taller they’d the standover. I’ve got a 650b specific frame which is great and I put done 660b wheels in my 26er, it just felt wrong, it felt high and didn’t handle at all well.

There’s a bigger tyre choice now than ever before and more tyres on the way.

BadlyWiredDog

There’s a bigger tyre choice now than ever before and more tyres on the way.

I was mildly amused that nextdaytyres now has a 650b tyre section, if you click on it, it says ‘0 results for ‘ MTB 650B’ …

… which doesn’t of course mean you can’t source them. CRC sells Racing Ralphs in 2.25 for 45 quid (eek), a search for 650b on Wiggle gives you zip, JRA has a couple of Pacenti tyres for 50 quid each and Racig Ralphs again for £47.

Don’t shoot me, I’m just thinking aloud and wandering what’s out there now. I know Schwalbe has a whole raft of 650b for 2013 and I guess there’ll be more general availability as people flock to the new size, but right now it does look a bit restrictive?

I’m thinking about sticking a 650B on the back of my currently 69er-ish singlespeed, but 50 quid a tyre seems potentially a lot to spend on an experiment.

There are 650b forks out there though, no?

tollah
    Free Member

I’ve got Maverick sc32 in the front of mine and the wife runs Reba 29er forks. Iirc Rockshox are bringing out 650b and so is a couple of others.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fitting 650b wheels’ is closed to new replies.