Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • fitted a child bike seat and my daughter hates it
  • mattk
    Free Member

She’s 18 months old and i felt it was about time i got a seat fitted for her.

Anyway she loved it at first, had a little ride down the road and then round the village. She was giggling and laughing and enjoying it.

A few cars came past and she wasn’t bothered, then a really noisy van came past and she freaked out. Straining against the restraints to get out and screaming like crazy.

When we got back home she almost leapt out of the seat and now won’t go anywhere near it.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Cheers
    Matt

shindiggy
    Free Member

Take her off road? Canals, country parks.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Dibs 😉

garage-dweller

Matt

We had someone nearly take us out on my son’s first trip. My wife had a few choice words with the driver who was genuinely mortified when he realised what he’d nearly done. He was a bit younger and it didn’t really phase him for long.

All our early rides were almost completely road free (cycle tracks near but not on main roads) so he got used to vehicles being near but not too near. Now when he’s on the back he’s happy on the road even with quite large vehicles.

As for getting her back on, it might be an idea to leave it a week or so then get the bikes in the car (if necessary) and head for somewhere traffic free for a few confidence inspiring rides.

Also does your partner / wife ride? Even if she can manage a couple of miles and ride next to you entertaining little one that might help.

Our son likes to sit on the cross bar and be wheeled round the garden holding the handlebars or sitting on the ‘big boy’ seat and being held in one arm while the other’s used to push the bike. With lots of positive reinforcement and encouragement he’s developed a real liking for two wheels and I think it’s the big boy thing + child seat.

He’s just under 2 by the way and been coming out on the bike for about a year but not always without tears (helmet not producing smiles!).

Do you know anyone else with a kiddy similar age and a child seat who you could meet up with who would be a good influence?

Not sure if that’s any help at all, just our experiences.

yunki
    Free Member

The only problem I have with yunki Jr.. (also 18 months) is trying to get the right combination of clothing.. I’ve under estimated the windchill factor for the poor fella once or twice.. It’s gotta be pretty cold and miserable sitting back there doing no work I guess..

he loves going for (mild) offroad jaunts.. a few bumps and he’s soon giggling.. and as for traffic.. he loves cars.. loves vans even more.. and trucks are his favourite so I don’t really have the same problem as you..

He loves to be shown the different parts of the bike.. and can get as much enjoyment out of spinning the pedals and being (very carefully) helped to move the bike by pushing the wheels around as he can from going for a ride.. maybe this approach would help too..?

garage-dweller

Oh sorry, couple of other things that help once they’re on:

1) keep chatting to them / singing / pointing things out (we like to spot row rows (boats), re-res (lorries), Tom (train), roun-rouns (buses) and doggies)
    2) the wheels on the bike go round and round is good too (she’ll probably know the tune)
    3) I always announce the bigger bumps with “bump”(kerbs/potholes as we get to them), I know get an echo from the back seat too which is kind of funny.
    4) Never be the one to lose your rag if you do get cut up, carry on like it’s the safest thing ever. If anyone in a car/van needs a mouthful they get it from mummy once our boy’s not looking!

dc2.0

We found that not all childseats are equal. We’ve got one with integrated “mini handlebars” – a bit like stoker bars on a tandem, but part of the childseat rather than mounted to to the rider’s seatpost – that they can hold, which all three kids have much preferred over other types of bike seat.

Doesn’t address the van issue directly, but certainly made ours feel happier on the back..

mattk
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, some really good tips.

I’ll leave it a while and try again at the weekend. My friend is planning to get a seat for his 2yr old so i’ll see if he wants to take them out together and that might encourage her.

Cheers

racing_ralph
    Free Member

a trailer is the better option ime/imo

loddrik
    Free Member

My daughter is 16 months and she absolutely loves it. She is now out on it most days and I generally take her all around the city, through parks, through the city centre pedestrian areas and along the Mersey riverfront. I find she is happiest when there is lots to look at, cars, houses, people etc. I know she is happiest as I can hear her singing to herself, when I am on less built up routes I think she is less engaged. She puts her helmet on most mornings as a way of saying “lets get out there..’!

She was in the trailer until about a month ago but she much prefers the seat as she can see much more and we are far less limited in where we can go.

ocrider

Get a front mounted seat such as Safe T Seat or a Weeride. The kids feel far more secure being between your arms. They get to see ahead too!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘fitted a child bike seat and my daughter hates it’ is closed to new replies.