Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • FitBit or equivalent for technophobe F-i-L
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

The M-i-L has asked me to get the F-i-L a FitBit in the Black Friday sales (yes they believe the hype), the guy is a complete technophobe and can only just get his head round Sky+ and his phone.

Is the FitBit (what model?) the best option for general fitness, read walking about, tracking or is something else better.

I confess to knowing naff all about these things, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kryton57

I bought a Xaoimi Mi whatever band from Amazon.  Works fine, 2 week battery life, smartphone notifications, wear it and forget – £36.

Unless he’s programming routes / a runner or something you can save yourself a few quid with that.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Unless he’s programming routes / a runner or something you can save yourself a few quid with that.

Absolutely no danger of that, he can barely figure out how to record a tv programme

willard

Fitbit are being bought by Google if memory serves. As long as he is fine with them hoovering his health data, he should be fine.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I got one of the Xiaomi Mi bands for my mum who isn’t that great with technie stuff.
    She really likes it. Basically uses it as a pedometer and for seeing how hard he was working at her jazzercise class – it has a HR monitor.

spacemonkey

The missus bought me a Charge 2 maybe 2.5 years ago. Not a particularly capable device IMO. Does the basics but for IRO £150 (at that time) it’s poor VFM. Battery played up within a few months and the straps are prone to breaking off (but they’re less than a tenner to replace).

Charge 3 is supposedly better but I’ve not looked into it. One day I’ll pick up a decent Garmin or similar, but for now (and the last few years) Strava gives me most of the data I need.

Kryton57
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘FitBit or equivalent for technophobe F-i-L’ is closed to new replies.