Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Fit and forget components – Whats your favorite?
  • MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’d like to say ‘my Chris King singlespeed hub’ but that would be a bit of a lie.

Northwind

The only part that’s original in the back is the hub shell! But to be fair I replaced the freehub through choice. The other parts were all breakages/worn out, not at all impressive. Still, I like the convertibility and I can’t complain at the price they were- my DTs make them look very bad, in every way other than price, but then I got the whole pro 2 wheelset for about the price of a new rear DT hub so.

Milkie
    Free Member

Reverb.. Never touched it and still working after nearly 2 years. I bet it now breaks! 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kcal

Still have pairs of Marzocci MXC coil forks, despite wrapping them into a tree they’re fine and can’t recall the last time I really checked them over let alone service.

Shimano 959s pedals. Been used and abused on my main MTB for years – bike’s 1998, pedals were possibly first upgrade after that, say 2000 – 14 years of just working, still smooth running. Worthy upgrade from 520s I ‘d say.

richmtb

Shimano SPDs.

I’ve got a set of 959’s that have been on every bike i’ve owned.

They now look pretty ratty, pitted and a bit rusty, but they still engage and release perfectly and the bearings still spin smoothly. Never been rebuilt.

TiRed

K-Edge chain catcher. I have no idea when or if it is called into service.

core

Thomson elite seat post.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Sram xo mech & shifter.

ESI grips.

Nukeproof Neutron pedals.

vinnyeh

Crank Brothers pedals.

damascus
    Free Member

My road bike/commutter. It never gets cleaned. Its always spot on when I grab it. I just oil it from time to time

My mtb on the other hand is always getting stripped and cleaned and new parts bought for it and its always needing attention.

Maybe the lesson is leave it alone or just ride the road bike more? But then where is the fun in that?

The fun is in buying and fitting new bits!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Hope XC hubs with high spec bearings in, are the best. Also Phil Wood hubs are just lush. King headsets work great too. Hope BB’s and Pro 2 hubs are just rubbish. Always grinding and full of muck and seized bits. Glad to have got rid of my Pro 2’s.

souldrummer
    Free Member

From personal experience I would say Time pedals, Marzocchi forks, Hope hubs and Condor frames.

rOcKeTdOg

Gravity dropper, it laughs in the face of reverbs etc*

*butt ugly though. Good job I can’t see it when riding

beefheart
    Free Member

Not sure I agree with Hope hubs.
    I’m lucky if I get 6 months out of a set of Pro II bearings, so hardly fit and forget.
    Tubeless set up (flows) has been good, but still needs very regular pressure top ups.
    My Crossmax cracked after 6 months, so not them.

I think most Shimano high end drivetrain bits are about the most reliable things I’ve used.

epicyclo

Basically my whole bike is fit and forget. Rigid singlespeed with drum brakes.

On its 3rd year with no replacement parts and a chain that’s done 3 ‘Puffers (thanks to Purple Extreme).

Oh, hang on – I’ve got to make a new mudguard stay. Broke one in the race but fixed it with a branch and duct tape. That’s still working. 🙂

nicko74

Time ATAC pedals.

[/Thread]
    [Thread]
    Gore RideOn fully sealed outers.

oliverracing

got to be some of the setup I have on my campus bike,

Shimano STX parallax hubs – bombproof and now 20 years old
    Thumbshifter (friction) in retroshift type attachment
    XT rear mech – now done about 2 years of unfettered commuting

Shimano HT11 cranksets too thinking about it – shame I can’t say the same about the bottom brakets, but at least it seems to have stopped developing more play at 2-3mm 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

Mine would have to be the…. Error I forget

rob1984p
    Free Member

520 SPDs
    EA70 riser bars
    XT M750 shifters

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Phil Wood track sprockets

mikewsmith
    Free Member

some strange ones up there from my experience, seen plenty of failed Gravity droppers and those needing fiddly cable adjustment and all of my shimano pedals chewed themselves to bits.

epicyclo

I’ve got a Shimano Deore hub in a wheel I built in Oz about 2000. It’s still going strong – just clean it out and regrease it every so often. It’s been on heaps of different bikes. Currently in active use on my fair weather fatbike.

JoeG
    Free Member

Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters! 8)

Marmoset
    Free Member

Sram XO twist shifters – several years old and still going like a new pair.

avdave2

Son dynamo hub – 8 years of all year round commuting 6 of those off road in all conditions and I’ve never touched it. Not that I could do anything myself but with that sort of reliability I’m not worried about that.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Deore hubs. Mine has lived outdoors, uncovered, 24/7/365 for 10yrs (almost to the day iirc) in both Scotland and Sweden, used almost daily for commuting. I’ve stuck a bit more grease in once, at which time I’m pretty sure I lost a bearing under the fridge and put it back together anyway, expecting it to die soon. It did’t, and still runs smoothly to this day.

Otherwise I’d +1 Time pedals and Gravity Droppers.

lardman
    Free Member

It’d have to be my Marzocchi Freeride Z1’s from 2005, serviced twice in that time, and still plush and running perfect. Not sure any ‘modern’ forks could claim that record in a few years time. Not sure why they don’t make ’em like that anymore.

Wasn’t too tricky back in 05, how hard could it be now?

giantjason
    Free Member

For me it’s been:

Magura Louise brakes (other than changing pads)
    CK headset
    CK bottom bracket
    Shimano spd’s

frood
    Free Member

Middleburn Cranks
    Time ATAC pedals

faustus – Member
    XT M755 4-pot brake. 10 years, 3 sets of pads, utterly reliable.

POSTED 19 HOURS AGO

Blimey… do you not ride? I’ve gone through new sintered pads in a single ride before (admittedly a wet 10utb) usually go through about 2-3 sets a year

unovolo
    Free Member

Sram XO gripshift work the same now as they did when they were fitted several years back.

Shimano deore Disc brakes, replacement pads and a bleed when I fitted braided hoses other than that not had to touch them.

xiphon
    Free Member

Marzocchi Monster T (mk1) – (1999… still going strong!)

Hope M4 [2-part] – 2002, still being used…

Shimano sealed square-taper BB – my Dad still has one on his 20 year old bike.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Fit and forget components – Whats your favorite?’ is closed to new replies.