Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Fit and Forget Bottom Brackets
  • Surfr
    Free Member

My XT HT2 BB has bitten the dust. We get lots of water up here in Mid Wales and I’m not one for stripping my bike down each time I do a water crossing. Am I better to just replace the BB every year or are there some nice sealed fit-and-forget BBs on the market for the lazy cyclists amongst us?

wwaswas

Shimano square taper ftw.

poppa
    Free Member

Most HTII BBs will need to be changed fairly regularly (~yr) depending on use.

A Chris King BB might be of use to you though, because it has a grease port. Therefore if you give your bike a thorough soaking and are concerned, you can push some more grease through. They are quite expensive…

LoCo
    Free Member

+1 for a king, haven’t managed to get much more than a year out a shimano.

Surfr
    Free Member

I guess they aren’t that expensive anymore in the grand scheme of things. I know a few guys around here have gone the CK route and invested in the grease port tools too.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Fit and forget = Shimano HT2. Fit them, forget about them for 8>12 months. Replace them.

Easy.

mtbfix

+1 for square taper

tollah
    Free Member

CK as above although mine died after 18montgs with regular greasing. The bearings disintegrated, they did replace it under their warranty though, it’s on 20months now from original purchase. Next time one of my Dhkmano ones go they will be replaced with King.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Shimano UN72

IanB
    Free Member

Are UN7x square taper BB’s still available?

I’ve got UN53 on three bikes, haven’t touched them is ages and they still run much smoother than a new HT2 BB ever did.

69er
    Free Member

Innovation isn’t necessarily improvement:

I had to replace the bearings on one of these after 10 years regular off road riding as one side had got a little rough!

+1 for Middleburn square taper and Royce bb combo.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Any cartridge BB, square taper or octalink

clubber
    Free Member

UN54 again – (Other than the plastic cup it’s the same as the old 72s as far as I can tell as they now have a hollow axle).

I have HT2 on my ‘good’ bike but only on the acceptance that the bearings won’t last as long as the square taper BBs on my other bikes that get hammered through the winter (and summer!) crap.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve been to mid wales twice on MTB’s, both times I came back with buggered BB’s (UN52 and 72) and the second time my freehub became completley free!

I’ve got a superstar BB, the original bearings were pap, failed after 8 rides, bought another (why?) and they failed again in about the same time. However the bearings are a standard size, so knocked some SKF ones in (£25 from local transmission shop), being carefull with the top caps (still mangled them but been fine so far.

So far theyve been beeten to pices in Spain, and dragegd through gallons of Swinely mud and have only just loosened up/bedded in!

£20 for the BB
    £25 for the bearings.

So far its thoroughly recomended.

woody2000

NOT Pace. Utter garbage 😡

cupra
    Free Member

+1 for square taper 😉

brassneck

Hope Ceramic has been doing a job for me – outlasted the Shimano by a factor of three already and still going strong.

I’ve seen the Superstars disintegrate a couple of times, so I’d pass on them.

julesf7
    Free Member

At the moment I’m using a Phil Wood one; 6 months in and it is still smoother than the proverbial posterior of an infant

coastkid
    Free Member

+1 Phil Wood square taper, 2500 miles mostly on the beach and alot of salt water and only on 2nd set of bearings (£12 a pair!)
    It was not cheap at £145! (100mm BB) but would last years away from sand

chakaping
    Free Member

Fit and forget = Shimano HT2. Fit them, forget about them for 8>12 months. Replace them.

+1

Mid-Wales sounds like a vicious place though. Could it be even “tougher on kit” than the legendarily fierce “Peak”?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/897/68/

I got one of these, I was told it’s great, we shall see.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Then again I’ve got 2.5 years out of a XT BB, so I probably have too much mechanical sympathy to test things properly.

D0NK

I’d be more tempted to try pace/CK greaseport BBs if you could actually grease them without dismantling your cranks first.

Square taper last ages, octalink are OK too but not as good as sq.

(the ’08 xt HT2s on my etsx have are still running fine but I don’t use it in nasty weather)

binners

Bottom Brackets never seem to last long with me either.

So this time I’ve opted for a Truvativ Howitzer that looks like its been constructed from discarded bits of rail bridge. The external bearing are **** huge. I’m hoping this will fare a bit better

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Have been away from HT2 for a while, but I’ve got hold of a Race Face bearing puller, so I can replace the bearings in them now, so going back to HT2 so I can use some Hone Cranks that have barely been used. £50 for the puller I think, will save that much in 18 months of broken BBs I reckon.

They are unnecessarily shit though aren’t they? You’d think someone would have made one that works and stays working by now!

epicyclo

I’ve got a square taper fitted to my bike. It’s been there so long that I’ve forgotten which one it is. It was bought as a temporary measure while I was waiting for a Ti one to arrive.

I suspect it’s Shimano though, so that’s true fit and forget.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Shimano XT HT2 has been in my bike for two and a half years now, still smooth and no play. Back in the olden days, I used to kill a UN72 about once a year.

spindi
    Free Member

I’ve been running a GUB Ceramic HT2 BB. Bought from eBay for not much. It’s done a year in Jersey (very salty and corrosive beach rides) and also about 6 months now in the Peak. Not a hint of anything breaking on it. Smooth as you like. If you can find one I highly recommend them.

doom_mountain

XT HT2 lasted a year and a bit, Hope seems to be doing well so far.

UN53 on my singlespeed is going on 5 years of rarely being cleaned, still goes round in circles very nicely

jamesb
    Free Member

Mid-Wales sounds like a vicious place though. Could it be even “tougher on kit” than the legendarily fierce “Peak”?

Maybe, but riding in mid Wales a frequent occurrence can be BB / axle deep watersplashes or river crossings, followed by addition of mud = tough on kit; Beacons and Black Mtn also add in sandy grinding paste

btw just fitted a Hope hollowtech compatible BB and it feels fabulously silky smooth, having ground up Shimano one in a year, riding in mid Wales

Northwind

square taper’s definately the way to go if you want genuine fit-and-forget, my commuter’s 18 years old now and only on its 3rd BB. But that’s not going to get me to give up my XTR HT2s- Shimano HT BBs are good enough IMO.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like the idea of the roller bearing one that superstar do. Anyone tried it yet? Although my xtr one is nearly three years old and still like new.

Surfr
    Free Member

Bought a Hope 2nd hand off the classifieds this afternoon. Will see how it goes and if that fails in a year maybe I’ll look at the Royce/Middleburn combo. I’ve always wanted to anyway.

nuke

Run square taper (UN52/53/54) on all my bikes still…can’t remember the age of the BBs but I haven’t replaced any for years, they just get swapped from bike to bike. For example, my PA has a Shimano ST unit that came on my 1999 Klein Attitude…it’s still going strong.

chickenman

I know most people know this/do this, but just in case: After wet rides and washing, remove seat and pour out any water sitting inside the frame!

edsbike
    Free Member

Had a Hope Stainless one for 18 months, still fine, cleaned/regreased it once, I reckon it should be alright for another 18 months, then around £20 for some new bearings. I’m happy with that.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I have an ht2 that came with the new slx cranks I bought last july. I ride most weekends in the peaks and lakes and there’s nowt up with it. That said I do look after my bikes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have several octalink bbs – they just work. The only ht11 I have swas a race face – failed very quickly and replaced with a hope. If that fails then the bike is being converted to octalink,

ht11 is a horrible bodge with the plenty of opportunity for flex and misalignment and very difficult to protect the bearings.

rp16v
    Free Member

iv been on my one23 unit for about 6 months now and the bike never gets cleaned still smooth after bristol clay/mud

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Fit and Forget Bottom Brackets’ is closed to new replies.