Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Fish In A Can
  • iffoverload
    Free Member

Any brand of tinned tuna recommendations please?

I have tried a few since my regular disappeared from the shelves a while back But most of it
    seems to be a bit like mislabeled cat food. 🙁

tuboflard

If it’s being used for proper cooking, not in a sandwich, I have a supply of these in the cupboard;

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-albacore-tuna-in-spring-water/619706-87952-87953

I know. Very middle class.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Make sure it says Tuna Steaks and not Tuna Chunks.

I agree the tinned tuna has completely gone to pot recently

TheBrick
    Free Member
    thols2

I agree the tinned tuna has completely gone to pot recently

Not to mention the chicken

MoreCashThanDash

Aldi stuff in spring water does for me. Usually mixed with a small tin of their tuna with red chilli, a bit of mayo, then applied liberally with cheese in a toastie, or on a baked potato.

I don’t do fancy food.

asbrooks

Fish in a can? Surströmming came to mind. Just thinking about it has me gagging 🤢

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m off tinned tuna. Rarely have it now. Now onto Mackrel fillets in various sauces. Not great on sandwiches of course, but delicious either on their own or mixed in pasta or something. Mustard and curry sauces are delicious. The wife complained it stinks the house up but I don’t notice it.

johndoh
    Free Member

I like the Aldi tuna in sunflower oil (I cannot stand it in water, even less so in brine). Also, Asda LARGE tins are normally very good (their standard tins are usually full of mush).

ATM Aldi four packs are just £2.39 too.

tthew

Now onto Mackrel fillets in various sauces.

I sometimes make tomato pasta sauce with tuna, black olives and capers, but I reckon Mackrel would make a great improvement to that. On the menu for next week! 👍

Greybeard
    Free Member

seems to be a bit like mislabeled cat food

That’s what our cat thinks. Opening a can for human consumption is instantly greeted with a feline “Oooh, great, tuna for me!”

iffoverload
    Free Member

haha cats!

fish in a jar is a winner, will check out the Aldi brand again and brave AS*A and try the jumbo tins, though a regular tin is just about the right size for a couple of sarnies or a salad.

I do the mackrel and sardine thing too, I don’t mind the smell 🙂

thanks guys

slowoldman

Waitrose Essentials in spring water.

Also a fan of tinned mackerel in various sauces. Good for the hill. Also sardines with pasta. Oh and smoked mackerel of course. Mmmmmmmm.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve been eating a lot more tinned mackerel and sardines in spicy sauce in recent weeks, finding it far more tasty than tuna for easy lunches with baked beans/potato/sweet potato etc., smell isn’t popular with my vegan better half! 😆

spooky_b329

Make sure it says Tuna Steaks and not Tuna Chunks.

Have I got it wrong? Last time I bought Tuna Steak it was all small little pieces, whilst the chunks came out in nice flaked chunks.

BillMC

I bought a load in Portugal but the designs on the tins were so good they ended up being looked at for a couple of years. Benito del Norte is the one to go for if you find find a deal.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

This fish that comes from a can
    Was it put there by a man
    In a factory downtown?

I imagine there’s a tuna in there somewhere, probably be a peach.

Robz
    Free Member

I’m no vegan or vegetarian but I was definitely put off eating tuna after watching Seaspiracy on Netflix.

I know a lot of it was very one sided propaganda but I decided that I can easily live without Tuna in my life (and I really do enjoy a tuna Mayo buttie and salad nicoise).

sgn23
    Free Member

I liked a bit of tuna, but like Robz, I’ve decided that it’s just not a sustainable fish to eat. The fishing methods are dubious and has significant bycatch. Populations are depleted for many types. It’s a top level predator. MSC labelling gives a veneer of it being sustainable but in practise is bullshit. I’ll be switching to mackerel and sardine.

finbar
    Free Member

If it’s being used for proper cooking, not in a sandwich, I have a supply of these in the cupboard;

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-albacore-tuna-in-spring-water/619706-87952-87953

I know. Very middle class.

Not sure any canned tuna can be considered middle class really…

sparksmcguff

Fish in a jar. Costco sometimes have some nice Italian brand tuna in a jar.

pondo

Mackerel in olive oil FTW.

timmys

Not sure any canned tuna can be considered middle class really…

You are very much mistaken. £50 a month tinned fish subscription box anyone?
    https://www.thetinnedfishmarket.com/monthly-box

finbar
    Free Member

You are very much mistaken. £50 a month tinned fish subscription box anyone?
    https://www.thetinnedfishmarket.com/monthly-box

A Sky TV subscription is about £50 a month I think. Doesn’t mean it’s middle class.

(That is bonkers though! Just go to your LFM (local fish monger)…)

petec
    Free Member

£50 a month tinned fish subscription box

bonkers – i thought this one was quite pricey (lovely fish though!)

https://miss-can.com/en/canmunity/

voodoo-rich

Posh tinned fish? Here you go – https://brindisa.com/collections/fish-seafood although the jarred stuff is the best 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

I like Sainsburys Tuna Steak in Spring Water, it’s good quality and reasonably priced.

Saccades
    Free Member

Shines tinned fish.

All gorgeous.

Kuco

dangeourbrain 😄

el_boufador

You’re all wrong

Rollmop herring (from a jar)

sardines in spicy sauce

We had some sardines in jalapeno oil the other month. Gopping.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@kuco well I’m glad I’m not the only one it amused

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Fish In A Can’ is closed to new replies.