Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • First World Problems – Sunglass lenses
  • PrinceJohn
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a new pair of riding glasses & am torn between getting Photochromic lenses or multi lens system – what’s the general consensus? Are the photochromic lenses better than contrast increasing options?

IHN

I found photochromic to be annoying on overcast days, as they’d often darken because of the amount of UV about, but I didn’t really want them dark as it wasn’t that bright (in fact it could often be quite dull, and they’d still darken).

When I eventually get my arse in gear and order some new riding glasses (I need prescription ones), I’m ordering a pair of sunglasses and a pair of clear glasses.

chaos

I’ve just used not-very-dark pairs for UK riding for years and been quite happy with them. Current glasses are Tifosi with their Enliven lens which, I understand, are similar in concept to the Oakley Prizm idea – i.e. sun/uv protection but also good contrast enhancement especially when it gets overcast or you’re in the shade.

Previously went through a few pairs of Dirty Dogs using their brown polarised lens in various styles.

The Tifosi’s didn’t work so well for skiing contrast in a whiteout but that was probably asking a bit too much.

hainman
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Adidas evil eye in Tk Maxx cheap and found they didn’t clear quick enough when going from Open sky to forest trails like the Golfie
    I ended up buying Madison glasses that came with Clear,Orange and sunglass style lenses
    I’ve mostly used the orange lenses which work perfect in every condition
    Evil eyes are now redundant

jonba
    Free Member

AS above, photochromics are a bit limited on some days. I find them good on the road.

But I’ve also tried multi-lens systems and found them a faff. Certainly wouldn’t carry them on a ride.

I ended up with lots of different pairs!

easily
    Free Member

I love photochromics, and rarely wear anything else now. Only on the brightest of days do I bother digging out something else.

I’ve been using these recently:
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARSFV2SEP/carnac-rsf-se-cat-0-3-photochromic-sunglasses#CLCARSFV2SEP-SBK

At the price you could take a punt to see if you get on with them.

martymac

I have a pair of photochromics, they’re good.
    But they’re not perfect everywhere.
    Couldn’t be hassled with swapping lenses, so i have several pairs of glasses, with different lenses.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.