Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • First visit to the Highlands
  • blitz

Well, we should be on the eurotunnel now on our way to Morzine but with Thursday nights unwelcome quarantine news we’ve changed tack and managed to get a cottage just outside of Drumnadrochit for two weeks which is very welcome after the disappointment of having to cancel.

Have been wanting to visit the highlands for a long time but have never been north of Comrie when we stayed at the Croft a couple of years ago. So with this all being last minute, have not had chance to plan where to go, what to do, so hoping for some advice if possible. Will be with my wife and daughters (7 and 9). Will have MTBs and road bikes plus enough bike packing gear for the four of us to camp.

On the radar from a bit of thread reading are the beaches on the moray coast (Nairn? Findhorn? any others). Keen to see what Aviemore and the surrounds has to offer but any tips on specifics? Saw the recent thread on Golspie so considering heading that way too.

Then there’s scope for going west….Have obviously heard of Torridon and just read about Applecross / kenmore ride which sounds good. How doable is a ride here with family in tow? Scope for a few hours with them off at a beach, pub or other entertainment? Seems a shame not to get something in if possible but will be limited and conscious of risks riding solo if it’s too gnar?

Any other must do’s, stuff for the kids, places to avoid?

scotroutes

#1 from Drum would be Glen Affric. Park at Dog Falls and do a lap of Loch Affric. Head out on the good landie track on the South side and back on the more techy path on the North side. Plodda Falls also worth a visit.

Abriachan Forest has some waymarked trails and the famous Eco Cafe.

Great Glen Way passes through Drum but does involve a couple of steep climbs.

Findhorn is a good call. Park there and ride to Burghead and back. Lots of forest singletrack in the woods before Burghead. Follow your nose.

Chanonry Point for dolphin watching.

Loads of riding around Aviemore. What sort of thing are you after?

Don’t underestimate how long it takes to travel around.

scotroutes

Oh, Loch Ness 360 would make a good bikepacking trip. Stop near Foyers (I can suggest a spot) and pop into Camerons for breakfast.

convert

Go west too. A trip to Gairloch and Poolewe and maybe a swim at Firemore sands. The back road from Poolewe to the Arctic convoy memorial (past Firemore sands) is a lovely tarmac trundle On bikes. Head from there to Ullapool for chips on the beach but that would make a long day trip with little ones.

Glen Affric a must from where you are.

My sense is it is a little quieter now the Scottish state schools are back but Aviemore was silly busy. Highland council tweeted yesterday that Loch Morlich has tested for Blue Green algae again which will prob put off a loads of folks hovering around that honey pot.

zippykona

I don’t care what you do JUST POST PICTURES!

blitz

Thanks, this is great. Will have a read around these suggestions.

@scotroutes
    , in terms of riding – anything really! I guess mainly something different to what I can get here (forest singletrack), so rocky, big views, lochs, elevation.

matt_outandabout

I’m not adding anything to what scotroutes said – other than post some pictures!

Midges seem to be on a breeding cycle, make sure you have smidge and a net each.

Enjoy!

gordimhor

Haven’t been beyond Fort Augustus this year myself but in general allow plenty of time on the A82 between Fort William and Inverness. It’s also worth taking a trip to towards Skye for yet more great views. Plockton is a honeypot and often mobbed,Plenty other lovely villages in the area. Eilean Donan Castle. Cycle over the Mam Ràtagan to Glenelg to visit the broch. There is also the wee ferry to Skye from Glènelg which is a real throwback to past times. It is worth checking opening times and facilities everywhere before you go. Enjoy your holiday.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Family cycle route you say… In Aviemore you say… No problem sir.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chalamain-gap-family-cycle-good-or-bad/

Happy to help.

blitz

Yes, have already bought smidge! Forgot Skye in the OP, that is also on the list if possible. A friend mentioned the fairy pools there?

Will post some pics!

Spin
    Free Member

Then there’s scope for going west….Have obviously heard of Torridon and just read about Applecross / kenmore ride which sounds good. How doable is a ride here with family in tow?

If you want to leave the family somewhere and ride for a few hours then the applecross-kenmore-applecross route is a good call. Ride is just a few hours and plenty for them to do around there. 2hrs+ driving each way and likely to be busy though.

gordimhor

Just to be clear all the places I mentioned are on the mainland. Skye is a fantastic place you could easily spend a fortnight there, its a large island and can be very busy. So bear that in mind when allowing travel time

blitz

Just wanted to say thanks again for the advice and recommendations. Been back a couple of days but been tied up getting back to school and work. Did most of the things suggested plus a few other bits. Promised a few pics. It’s a pretty dull and miserable part of world 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wishaw beach is the most beautiful in Scotland, don’t miss it.

scotroutes

Aye, it’s pish. You’ll not want to come back now.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Shame you didn’t visit when the weather was nice!

convert

Looking those rubbish photos has really made me question my decision to move up earlier this year. What was I thinking?1?

redmex
    Free Member

What is the wee town by the water pic 7 ?

The other thread regarding Dundee being so desirable, needs some pics of Hilltown ,Douglas,Craigie not forgetting Whitfield

blitz

@redmex Portree on Skye. Lovely place.

The pics include Comrie (stopped on the way up), Glen Affric, Findhorn beach / Moray coastal trail, Top of Laggan red, paddle board view of Urquhart Castle from Loch Ness and Skye – Portree, Old man of storr, fairy pools and wild camping near Coral beach.

We tried to chase the weather and largely decided our itinerary based on that and whilst the whole two weeks weren’t clear blue skies we had generally good weather and certainly had no wash out days.

Despite covering over 2500 miles including the drive up from Kent, feel like we only scratched the surface.

murf
    Free Member

I’m sorry I missed this, I live in Drumnadrochit and we have some great natural trails 2 mins pedal from the village. I’d be happy to show you round if you’re ever back up this way 👍😁

blitz

@Murf

Thanks. We had a spin around the blue at Abriachan and had a look around Glen Urquhart forest which was near to us (we were along the road to Cannich). I reckoned there would be off piste about given the terrain but we had plenty to keep us busy anyway.

matt_outandabout

You didn’t visit Cumbernauld?

Come again soon, you will be welcome.

dovebiker

Spud

Really need to persuade MrsSpud that we should go to Scotland again.

scotroutes

We forgot to switch the weather machine to dreich back at the end of June and Covid staffing issues obviously affected the early season midge production/release program. We’re going to be wading waste deep through grockles next summer 😩

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

@murf

PMd you earlier, but no idea if/how it notifies so posting here too! Should be moving just outside Drum in the next few weeks (half way up Glen Coiltie) so keen to hear about local riding!

beamers

Stunning pics OP.

That second photo, of the view of Glen Affric, is one of my favourite spots up here.

Good work.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘First visit to the Highlands’ is closed to new replies.