Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • First uplift tips
  • cubist
    Free Member

So I am off to BPW for a day with a mate and have never done an uplift before. What are the top tips to make sure I get the most out of the day?

One thing I am specifically wondering about is whether there is any point bothering with a camel back?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d tape a tube and CO2 to your frame, saves a walk down the hill. You’re never more than 5 minutes from the car, no need for a bag.

Body armour and a full face makes you feel invincible, you’re not, the armour only really stops superficial stuff, crash and you will still end up end up with a broken arm, just without a scratch on it, I stopped wearing anything other than kneepads after that.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Learn to put the straps on properly.

Northwind

I carry a pack for uplifts; it’s not necessary but for me it’s about maximising ride time. I can fix mechanicals without wasting a run or risking damage, I can get back in the bus without stopping much for food, water, whatever, or being parched coming down the hill, or riding down in pissing rain in a tshirt or whatever. BPW’s uplift road is pretty slow so there’s plenty of time to refuel.

No major downside, imo, and I’ve helped out a load of people too with 5 second repairs that would have wrecked their runs. Some folks think it’s weird but when I’m up the back of the bus eating a cake, while they’re in the car park, I don’t care 😆 I never really understand the half-a-dozen-runs crowd but they seem happy.

YMMV of course, for a lot of people ditching the pack is a big bonus.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes use a camelback – you’re not doing much pedalling uphill after all.

Make sure your bike’s in good shape beforehand.

BPW is very approachable with plenty of easy trail centre-style tracks, so no need to worry (in case you were).

allthegear
    Free Member

Remember to let the air out of your tyres BEFORE the uplift van arrives. Saves time loading. You can spot all the newbies stood there not doing this until they are told by the uplift driver.

Rachel 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Noobs wear camelbaks so you will look like and be a noob. If you can handle the noobness, noob on.

Tongue firmly in cheek of course . Wear what you like and have fun!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Just enjoy it.

BPW is probably less intimidating than some of the full on DH venues with lost of people on big bikes. Build up steady – the blues there are pretty good.

Personally on an uplift I never ride with a pack.

dave32
    Free Member

Warm yourself up on a blue or red first as well.. I didn’t bother with a pack last time and seemed to enjoy it more not having it there. As said above your not far from the car park. full face and pads I’d recommend, not essential but there is a lot of tree stumps at the sides of the trails waiting for you to come off up there..

orangespyderman

I’m up the back of the bus

😯

Northwind

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnm9AChEcro[/video]

deadkenny
    Free Member

BPW busses are a bit far from the car park to just pop back to grab a drink. You could dump a bottle at the pick up though, but then you need to find it in the mass of others and hope no one’s peed in it 😉

Sometimes I take the backpack, sometimes I don’t bother. I need a drink on every run, more so on a hot day. On a busy day and everyone’s rushing for the next bus it’s tricky to go grab the bottle at the pick up while trying to get a place in the queue. Other thing is judging the hassle of a walk of shame with a flat tyre vs fixing it and ride down. Had that at Cwmcarn and it was a long walk down! Though bus driver spotted me half way down and gave me a lift rest of the way 😀

Tubeless generally will sort you out for punctures though, but make sure you have reinforced sidewalls or maybe dual ply.

FoD, Cwmcarn and Stiniog are better in that cars are close to the pickup, and easier to leave a bottle by the pickup with less of a queue and more efficient bus system.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I take a camelbak whether im riding for half an hour or all day. I’d rather have the tools to fix my woes than walk.
    Plus need somewhere to stash grub and water.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Been a while since I did an uplift day, but my top tip is to get going straight away as soon as you’re off the bus.

There’s usually a lot of faffing going on, plus a lot of “after you”, “no, after you” style stuff, which just results in either getting stuck in traffic, or holding the fast boys up, most of whom tend to want to go last for some reason. Get going straight off the coach and you can generally get a clear run down AND not hold anyone else up (assuming you’re not a total numpty).

Then you can wait in the carpark where there’s water, tea, cakes etc, plus you can faff by your car, where there’s proper faffing facilities.

kiksy
    Free Member

I’ve tried it both with and without a camelbak, as said, the car park isn’t far, but its far enough that its likely you’ll miss an uplift whilst getting a drink.

richardthird

Save £30, ride the climbs (there’s a couple of variations) and get the descents all to yourself 🙂

jekkyl

philwarren11 – Member

Learn to put the straps on properly. helpful post.

Yes, do the straps properly or you’ll get called back by the driver or he’ll tell the whole bus that someone did the straps up shit. Put the bike on and put one strap on each of your handlebar grips, not on the bar anywhere, on the grips. Put the strap on so that the metal buckle release is on the outermost strap, the one facing the ground.
    As an aside I think a helpful notice on the queue bars about where to put the straps wouldn’t go amiss.

I wore a pack and pretty much everyone else was, don’t see any issue tbh. The uplift point is generally near the end of (some of) the trails, which isn’t near the carpark.

I started with a red just to get the metal of it, then went onto the rest. After we did the reds once we stuck to the blues for the rest of the day, great fun, I prefer speed over tech!
    Have fun, it’s a great place.

dave32
    Free Member

Can,t you run a bottle cage for the day?

cubist
    Free Member

assuming you’re not a total numpty

you know what they say about assumptions ….

Remember to let the air out of your tyres BEFORE the uplift van arrives. Saves time loading. You can spot all the newbies stood there not doing this until they are told by the uplift driver.

Will do!

burchill
    Free Member

Try and pick a slot on the trailer with a bolt across the front wheel bit, unless you prefer bent rotors. It’ll make sense when you see it.

jonnym92

I thought bolts were for 26″ wheels only? I compress the forks down when putting the bike in, the rebound keeps it tight against the strap. Don’t put the straps over your brake levers, just the grips.
    I echo what the chap said about, get going first. There are a few trails to pick from at BPW so never too bad, but if you wait you will end up waiting for a while!

kayak23

Be rad. Be very rad.

simon_g

Like Northwind, I wear a Camelbak – pockets would be full of phone, car keys, multitool, food, etc otherwise. Or you have to attach it all to the bike. And unless you do this all the time it’s surprisingly hard work so I like to have some water too. Plus I like to just head straight back to the bus line rather than make visits back to the car.

Grades are all harder than normal trailcentre ones, the reds have plenty of stuff that you can’t just roll over so take care if you’re not confident with those.

The trailers have different size slots for the wheel sizes – if you’re on 26 or 29 you might have to use one end, but check with the driver.

Have fun!

benp1

The only time I’ve been to BPW pretty much everyone had a pack

It makes sense to carry a pack, as you can have a bite to eat or a drink on the bus. I got lucky on my day (weekday, early Jan) in that I had very little waiting around, no queues and the bus was nearly always there already (sometimes waited for us)

I wore the wrong gloves so had to go back to the car. Got lucky with the right trail that ended near the car park so just popped back and swapped them over, would have been easier to have it with me

I also found it easier to jump straight on the bus and faff around at the top of the hill, it was then quieter to get down as most had already hit the trails

It was quiet a cold and wet/damp day so the shelter at the top was really handy

packer
    Free Member

My tip would be to ride up the first run after lunch instead of waiting for the uplift.
    For some reason that I can’t work out they stop the uplift for an hour for lunch (and hence the cafe is rammed and there’s a big queue) and then after lunch every single person on the hill is in the uplift queue at once. Ride up and you’ll get to the top quicker, and you’ll get back to the uplift just as the queue dies down.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Another tip.

Make sure whatever trail you pick before lunch goes down to the tunnel (then dont go down Insufficent Funds). You got a nice walk back up to the cafe if you dont.

I was going to post how to put the bikes on but its easier to ask the driver when you get there as really you should pick the correct strap for each side of the bar, not just where the straps go.

Sixtapod/Willy Waver start is pretty much what most people do.

Best route imo is… Vicious Valley, Bonneyville, insufficent funds. Or Dai Hard, Coal not Dole and Insufficent funds.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’d take a backpack, I got a pinch flat near the top and it was a long walk down to the car, wasted a good few runs there! Took a backpack after that. Not as comfy but I’d rather ride than not.

philwarren11
    Free Member

They dont stop for lunch now, its staggered, so less buses running.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Ive never done a day with a pack there, probably done about 15-20 uplift days there now and Thursday evenings (theyre awesome) and i’ve only had 1 puncture.

What you need a pack for more is water, you sweat like **** on some of the long trails if giving it beans.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Can always get a smaller slimline pack. I’m looking for one that’s barely much more than a 1 or 2L water bladder and pocket for tool, tube and/or co2.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Everything Northwind said.

Also, don’t be intimidated by the storm trooper crowd. Half of them will be slower than you, but will still talk it up anyway.

Leku
    Free Member

Don’t Strava the uplift.

packer
    Free Member

They dont stop for lunch now, its staggered

This sounds good…

so less buses running.

but this sounds less good…

So does this work better than before in terms of time spent waiting for uplift or not?

llama

My tip is relax, start off steady, and focus on riding smoothly. Not so much for safety, more for your endurance. It is probably harder work than you might imagine and you don’t want to be knackered by lunch.

My preference is camelback if the weather dodgy or changeable (i.e. most of the time in Wales)

votchy
    Free Member

When are you going? I am there tomorrow for my first uplift so am watching this with interest 😀

benp1

Actually, here’s a good tip that I wish someone told me about

I was planning to do blues only, but did a couple of reds at the end of the day

The problem was I ran out of time, and also body function. I was so tired at the end of the day that I wasn’t really concentrating enough.

I should have done the reds earlier in the day, so that as I got more tired I could move back to the blues. I also would have had more concentration/energy earlier in the day

Don’t underestimate how much you’ll ache/tire out. I then spent the next 2 days bikepacking round Wales!

gonzy
    Free Member

all of the above…i always wear a camelbak too at BPW

i’d suggest starting off on some of the more smoother and flowy tracks like sixtapod through to willy waver first just so you get warmed up and get a feel for the place

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/voNqjCAy6Sg[/video]

P-Jay
    Free Member

I always use my pack, it’s a long day without a drink especially in summer and whilst yes you can dump a bottle near the but stop, don’t be upset if a member of staff comes along and puts it in the bin, because almost no-one goes back at the end of the day to bin their own so they treat them all as litter unless told otherwise.

As others have said, don’t be ‘that guy’ and dismiss the blues as being “too easy”. It’s not a DH venue, it’s never been sold as one, but it’s very fast compared to trail centres. The blue trails are brilliant fun and it would be a shame to miss them, even more of as shame is to act the hero head straight for Vicious Valley, chicken out a second too late on the drop into it and lad straight on your face from 6ft up – I’ve seen it happen, I’m not sure what would be worse, the pain or the embarrassment.

ebennett

Might not have time for it, but get your wrists strengthened! First time I went it was my grip which went first, my wrists were killing by the end of the day. Probably a result of poor technique and lack of fitness, but worth thinking about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘First uplift tips’ is closed to new replies.