Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • First trip to Cannock Chase this weekend what do I need to know
  • withersea
    Free Member

To make it a good day?

rOcKeTdOg

there’s a xc race on, shouldn’t affect the way marked trails though, oh, and the trees are closer together than you are used to probably

nickdavies

Nothing – go ride it. It’s all open atm so you’ve picked a good weekend and it’s going to be sunny. If you go Sunday bear in mind there’s a race on in the forest which shouldn’t affect the trail itself but you might find parking a bit of a pain and the shared areas a bit busy.

Ride the whole lot, monkey and dog, and ride the last 2 sections of the monkey multiple times cos they’re the best… (When you come out of lower cliff, turn left, go up the fire road, turn right at the fork up that fire road and rejoin the monkey going left at the top.)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Do the set menu of the dog and monkey nice and early, it is supposed to be hot this weekend so the marked trails will be busting at the seams by dinner time. Have a coffee at half time then go explore the rest of the place. There’s plenty of off piste stuff just follow your nose.

As above the last two sections of the monkey are well worth a second go.

Kuco

Be prepared for no fried egg option in the bacon sarnie 😥

withersea
    Free Member

Will be riding on Saturday so will miss the race for the race car park. Sounds like it should be a good visit. Why through shortage? Should I bring my own wrapped in cotton wool??

nickdavies

Be prepared for no fried egg option in the bacon sarnie

Well that’s my weekend stuffed, Sunday morning ride not the same without a good healthy breakfast halfway round!

You get bonus points for finding the second cafe for a second breakfast 😉

Kuco

Don’t know why stopped doing them a few years ago, maybe the handle on the frying pan broke.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Don’t know why stopped doing them a few years ago, maybe the handle on the frying pan broke.

I have not had butty from there for a few years no. Seriously.! They don’t do egg.!?

kjcc25
    Free Member

Don’t bring your energy drink plastic bottles or gel sachets if you can’t carry the empty ones home!

tinybits
    Free Member

Make sure you take a bike with at least 160mm of travel, it’s pretty radical.

takisawa2

Make sure you take a rigid singlespeed, it’s pretty tame.

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

Theres quite a lot of pedalling reqd 👿
    Hardtail will do it no probs.
    For the terrain they’ve done a great job, not very technical but great fun. Try to ride it fast. 8)

withersea
    Free Member

I’ll be riding my 129.5mm 13 speed unicycle so that should be perfect.

On a serious note I’ll leave no rubbish in anyone’s backyard, bad form all round leaving that sort of crap anywhere.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Get there early.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Take a tube and a pump. Don’t rely of sponging from passers by.

joat

Practise manualling through braking bumps. 🙂

crush83
    Free Member

If your bars are over 700mm get ready to punch some trees!

matther01
    Free Member

Yes its not technical and a bit tame, but given the elevation the folks have done a good job (its not Wales!). You can also do the red run at stile cop too as well as link up brocton coppice for a longer ride.

I normally get there for 7am on a Sun and its fairly quiet.

As mentioned, please do not drop any litter (including any iPhones) as I took half a pack home a couple of weeks ago and found an iPhone.

gaberin
    Free Member

Worth a trip form Oxford? i fancy a change from swinley..
    Also whats the closest train station to the start of follow the dog? and are the dh runs close by?
    Cheers

takisawa2

Closest is Rugeley. Train out to Walsall & stay on to Cannock & then Rugeley. Your about 5-10 mins away.
    West Coast main line runs through, & I think there is another Rugeley station but not sure any WCML trains stop there any more. They do at Stafford, which is about 45 mins brisk ride to the man made trails.

somouk
    Free Member

There are DH trails at Cannock as well over at Stile Cop. Not too far away from the main drag.

withersea
    Free Member

Is the car parking free or do I need a pocket full of change?

Cheers for all the advice – heads to bike to check width of fatbars on unicycle 😉

takisawa2

Threpenny Farthing an a Tuppence.

If your from the Sarff, then 3 of your pounds.

jekkyl

Place is always packed with tons of people from the northern west midlands speaking funny 😀

withersea
    Free Member

Yorkshire lad (well another twenty years to get my Leeds passport), so I’ll be bringing old money

somouk
    Free Member

Car parking at the trail head is £3 but elsewhere it is free.

benji
    Free Member

I’m there racing my rigid singlespeed on sunday, can’t wait, weather looks to be good as well. Last time there was 20 years ago back when I was a nerdy student.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

On Sunday I’ll be mainly Fat Biking with the single speeders.
    I’ll have 9 extra gears to help me keep up with the SS racing snakes

mindmap3
    Free Member

I quite like the Chase. It’s my nearest descent riding spot and I reckon the builders have done a great job with the elevation that they have. The last two sections on the Monkey trail are ace and it is generally much quieter than the Dog which often gets full of a very mixed range of abilities.

I don’t think the trees are too close together. I can get my silly bars through all but two bits and still have all of my knuckles. Most people are pretty friendly too but you do gets few asshats.

rOcKeTdOg

SS racing snakes

😆

scruff
    Free Member

Be very careful if it’s wet, the pebbles can get very slippery.

walleater

If you are night riding, there has been a spate of Satanic rituals going on recently. I found two goats heads just off the trail last time I was there 😥

withersea
    Free Member

Many thanks to everyone who provided advice. Had a great first trip yesterday, dusty trails, sunshine and plenty of smiles per mile. Will be going back for more.

dibboid
    Free Member

If your bars are over 700mm get ready to punch some trees!

Definitely this^^^^^

I run 780mm and I’m used to the bits where I expect to twang the trees and always take some bark home with me. 😛

withersea
    Free Member

Oh yes did a bit or tree twanging!

rOcKeTdOg

three of us punched or got speared by trees racing at cannock today

Just a flesh wound by Johnclimber, on Flickr

mindmap3
    Free Member

Ouch. That looks like it tanged a bit.

withersea
    Free Member

Owwwwwww

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Tis just a scratch, I’ll survive…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘First trip to Cannock Chase this weekend what do I need to know’ is closed to new replies.