Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • First-timer tubeless question
  • packer
    Free Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I’m finally going to dip my toe in the tubeless waters and there’s something I don’t understand…

All the instruction guides I have seen use one of two methods for the rims:
    a) Adhesive rim rape over the spoke holes with a seperate valve which clamps onto the rim.
    b) A rubber rim strip with a built-in valve.

I understand how both approaches work, but what I don’t understand is which approach I should use.
    Do they give exactly the same results? Or is there a reason why you should use one instead of the other?

I am using “normal” Mavic rims if that makes a difference. Thanks.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

width is a key determiner, i had the rubber strips and they were way too wide.
    eventually on one wheel i cut it into just the valve and a nice rectangle of rubber strip around it.

pretty sure you’ll still need to tape over the spoke holes either way.

Garry_Lager

They’re basically doing the same thing but approach a is cheaper and more versatile – costs nowt, essentially, if you re-use an old valve, and you can tape any wheel, shape and cut the tape to size etc. Prob be a bit more faff getting it just right.

A rim strip with valve is a small expenditure, and the ones I’ve used are designed for a specific rim. Maybe you can get generic ones. They work straight off with zero faff IME.

johnw1984
    Free Member

The first time I went tubeless is on my current wheels (Hope Tech Enduro).

I just used tape to cover spoke holes and a tubeless valve. They went up first time no problem, so I never needed to buy the rubber rim strips.

Try the tape method and just take your time setting them up. A good tubless track pump or compressor is a godsend.

I have a Bontrager Flashcharger, or you could get one of those Airshot things.

packer
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

So the rubber rim strip is not actually to seal the spoke holes then? Seems not as it would appear you always need the tape for that.
    In that case the rubber rim strip just seems to be unnecessary excess weight…?

johnw1984
    Free Member

In most situations, yes. Some rims just won’t play ball without them though.

garage-dweller

There’s more ways of improvising a solution than I’ve had chicken vindaloos.

I have a “ghetto” setup on one of my wheels using the split bmx tube option. There the rubber strip (cut tube) is creating the seal above normal rim tape and round the sides of the rims/ tyres.

This is a heavier but ime reliable way to tubeless a tyre. I am big and heavy and it’s on a front wheel with a big fat tyre on at quite low pressure.

Some people can get it up (oo er) with nothing more than a couple of wraps of electrical tape.

I would start with the lighter solutions first but go easy in testing to start with.

garage-dweller

If they are Mavics check the Stans website they used to do a big chart of compatibility for their strips and rims.

crashrash

Tried both methods and you do need to tape both. Gorilla tape from B&Q works well and is pretty reasonable! With a tubeless ready wheelset and decent tyre the tape and a pump should be enough. Where the rubber strip works well is effectively converting any wheelset to tubeless. Basically the rubber strip helps locate the bead so it seals properly. Biggest trick is buying the right width for you wheel. Got a Flash charger as well – work of genius! Mate has an Airshot and he reckons that is good too.

packer
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys – makes a lot more sense now!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘First-timer tubeless question’ is closed to new replies.