• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • First time single speed, help needed
  • russjp
    Free Member

Going to go single speed for the first time, what gear ratio is common or a good starting place?

bungie
    Free Member

32:18 to get used to it and then move to 32:16

wwaswas

32:16 or 17 or 18 but usually 16

adey205
    Free Member

i ride round sherwood forest a lot and find 32-15 ok. seems ok for round that way, nothing too taxing
    thinking of going to 14 in the summer when conditions should be better.

but then again i have got big legs 😆

jordie
    Free Member

what type of riding are you doing is it mostly flat or v hilly

russjp
    Free Member

Im in Kent so not too hilly, mainly rolling singletrack, with an occasional short sharp climb

Thanks for the replies

carboblock
    Free Member

I run a 32:16 which works for me

bassspine
    Free Member

two to one gearing, if you are riding big hills or lazy(like me) add one tooth to the rear.

I usually ride 36 19. It's taken me all over dartmoor, exmoor, quantocks, haldon.

I think if you use an odd number of teeth one end or the other it lessens the wear, something to do with numbers…

adey205
    Free Member

if its not that hilly i'd be inclined to start with 32-16, then see how you go.

islander

32:16 fine round here but find a wee bit low geared on the flat but just high enough for the ups. Be what I would probably say to start of with.

adey205
    Free Member

yeah! be prepared to spin on the flat 🙁

mud-monster
    Free Member

Built mine last week end up 36-16 great on the road. But killer offroad. my 32 comes in the post tomo!!! 😀

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I live in Kent too, and would say that 32:16 should be fine for most off road conditions round here. Have cleared muddy climbs on the North Downs in that ratio, and generally only have to push on stuff that I'd be walking on a geared bike anyway. As others have said, maybe go slightly higher if you do a lot of road riding and don't want to spin out too much (or build another singlespeed for that!).

oxym0r0n

I don't understand – nobody actually rides SS, so put on any gear you like 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

I assume you ride a geared bike at the moment? Ride round in one gear for a bit, middle ring and 16 or 17 on the rear and see how it feels. Then use that to judge what ratio would work for you best. Personally I am a 32:16 kind of guy but horses for courses.

Paulio
    Free Member

32:16 here, gets me around most of Afan. I did the ride in one gear for a bit thing to figure out the best place to start and found that useful.

Paul

knott4me
    Free Member

you are correct you do need help

BigJohn

The correct ratio is the one that works best on the rolling singletrack that you ride. That's what you need it for, and you learn to put up with the high gearing up hill or low gearing on the roads.

I usually ride 34:18 at Cannock Chase (3 times a week) or CYB, Llandegla etc. but would go 36:16 at Thetford. And full gears for Lakes or Peak where the hills are long and draggy.

DT78
    Free Member

32×18 for afan for me, and that was hardwork (unfit)
    36×16 for local flatish woods

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘First time single speed, help needed’ is closed to new replies.